Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: HF Boards: Stressful? Restrictions Too Tight?

peekNpoke

Default HF Boards: Stressful? Restrictions Too Tight?

Dobber, like many of the other members said, this site is better than those others.

You\'re doing an excellent job and I appreciate your efforts.
    The first place I look for information. Beat out TSN and THN for me.

And the guys that are here do respect each other.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I haven\'t really visited HF Boards much so I can\'t really comment on them. But it does seem like that thread about the value of Eklund\'s site (and the Dobber thread as well) should not have been closed. That was some heavy handed mod work.

When it comes to forums the best advice I can give is don\'t **** with the mods. No matter how right you think you are, they are always more right than you.

I haven\'t had any problems on this site. But I think this site does so well because we all have a common goal of improving our fantasy hockey teams. Whereas a general forum on any topic will have many more reasons for nasty events to arise.

rwthompson

I didn\'t realize hockey was such a huge sport in China...

I refuse to communicate in any forum where there is any form of censorship. Granted, a website is a business and it has the right to control the content that is on it - but all you can do as a consumer is choose not to participate in such a medium.

The biggest problem with censoring is you don\'t know what\'s taken out. I guess people if people are naive enough to believe there is only one hockey website out there, they deserve the kind of content they get.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Agreed

Earlier this season I was on another teams GDT as my Caps were playing them. Before I started joining in on the hockey talk going on I respectfully said hey Im a caps fan and was going to add in my .02 about the game if you guys dont mind...just felt like seeing the game from a different area. All was well with the i believe the Detroit fans. One goal was questioned and I just gave my educated answer as a hockey fan/player, about a goalie being out of position actually the argument was why wasn\'t Haske/Osgood (cant remember which) in position to make a rebound save. I simply said he did what he was suppose to by challenging the shot and the rebound just went to a bad spot where he couldnt get to it was the Dmans job to clear it out.

For saying that my post was deleted and i was accused of Flamming the Detroit knowledgable fans agreed with me and didnt mind me being there....b.ut still I got a warning and warrning points because of that....they get way to strict over there somtimes
    12 team weekly head to head keeper
    Stats: G, A, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, +/-, PIM, W, S%, GAA, SO
    Keep 10 plus farm
    Set rosters Daily

C: Kuzy, DStrome, Hischier, Rossi
    LW: Ehlers, Perron, Mangiapane, Nyquist
    RW: Bratt, Caufield, Marchessault, Granlund
    D: Chychrun, Toews, Carlson, Slavin
    G: Hart, Kuemper, Lindgren

IR: Newhook, Sergachev

Minors: Tomasino, CPrimeau, Dorofeyev, Evans, Bedard, Kulich, Protas, Eklund, Neighbours, ABoqvist, Greig, Bourque, Benson, Samoskevich, Askarov, Spence, Soderstrom, Silvos, Jarventie, Bourgault, Simashev, Gajan, Olausson, Brisson, Reinbacher, Pinelli, CSavoie, Stankoven, Suzdalev

Dobber Sports Stud

I find a lot of the moderators on the hfboard to be complete jerks...
    I also find the \"business of hockey\" section to be very anti-Canadian small markets...particularly the moderator in question...
    ***2018-19 11th Place***

16 TEAM KEEPER
    FORWARDS (G,A,Pts,+/-,PIM,PPG)
    LW:Marchand, Ehlers, Debrusk, Comtois (B-Empty)
    C:Matthews, White, Kotkaniemi, Hughes (B-Empty)
    RW:Laine, Labanc, Buchnevich, Terry (B-Kyrou)
    DEFENSE (G,A,+/-,PIM)
    Shea Weber, Ekman-Larsson, Morrissey, Schultz, Parayko, Hronek (B-Girard, Matheson)
    GOAL (Min,W,GGA)
    Hellebuyck, Markstrom, Samsonov
    PROSPECTS
    Lafraniere (2020)

Dobber Sports Genius

1st cbs sports to get the scores and pts info then dobbers\' for everything else . oh yeah goalie post for the starters and my pool sites to see how the great info from here has helped improve my team(s). best fantasy hockey site going dobs , as was stated we have repect and common sense , as was also stated we\'ll see that any newbies have a short leash and will adhere to our behaivioral traits. basically we\'re a relatively repectable bunch of hockey nuts,lol! , with some common sense thrown in on the side.
    Roto type keeper league.We keep any 6 ;15 teams , 3 div. of 5.We play 3 lines , 3 def. and start 2 goalies.6 BN.Stats are 1pt. for goals and assists , 2pts. for W , tie(O.T. or S.O. loss) 1pt. S.O. 1pt.Weekly line-up from Mon. to Sun. Total pts. per line against other teams lines.

LW - Ovechkin , Drouin ,Steen , Huberdeau
    RW - Nash , Callahan , Nyquist
    C - B. Schenn , Fisher , R.N.H. , St. Louis , T. Johnson
    Def.- E. Johnson , Gologoski , Suter , Doughty , O.E.L.
    G - Scheinder , Dubnyk , Lack

Dobber Sports Prodigy

When you guys started bitching about certain moderators I had a pretty good idea in the back of my head who it was. Just wandered over to HF and found the Dobber thread and my suspicions were confirmed. The guy is a egotistic *******. I don\'t understand how he can be in an authoritative position and talk down to people the way he does.

Bet he\'s really short :laugh:

10 Team Yahoo Points League

C: E.Staal, Nylander
    RW: Bouchard, Hossa
    LW: Parise, Michalek
    W: Huselius
    F: Vanek
    D: Niedermayer, Corvo, Weber, Timmonen
    G: Luongo, Miller
    BN: Bergeron, Pitkanen, Ray Whitney, Kuba, Mcdonald Ward
    IR: Ryan Whitney

Dobber Sports Sophomore

As I read the replies, I\'ve been asking myself \"what does HF mean and where can I find it?\". Then it dawned on me that it does not matter. What others say about Dobber....does not matter. This site is the first thing I look for in the morning...after my wife...:woohoo:
    I don\'t log in often but I just love reading the Dobber forum. It\'s fun and educational and what\'s common amongts us users is that we all love fantasy hockey and dream about running a real NHL team...and winning!! Bragging rights!!
    I feel the reason why this forum works is because we are winners not winers...we don\'t complain for the sake of complaining but we can rant in a \"safe\' environment knowing that we all share the same common goals...to see my wife first thing in the morning...no I mean to win as many hockey pools!!

I was dead last 2 years ago and now, thanks to this site, I\'m sitting 4th among 16 managers.

Thank you Dobber...thank you MODs...and thank you users for sharing the experience.

Now I\'m going to get some tissue and wipe my eyes.
    16 team, 32 player/20 active (2 G 6 D 12 F)
    keep 17

G=2 A=1 PIM=0.2 +/-=1
    Goalie W=4 SO=5 L=-2 P=-1
    G Holtby Kumpher Hiller Poulin Griess Hutchinson
    D Letang Goligoski Carlson Barrie Streit Bouwmeester Beauchemin
    F Crosby Giroux Benn Kunitz Pominville P Bergeron Stepan Parenteau Ennis Zuccarello Atkinson Clarkson Frolik Colborne Lee Morin Kapanen Alfredsson Grachev

Dobber Sports Novice

I haven\'t bothered with HF Boards for over a year (I did check in once recently, looking for info validating my thoughts on a specific prospect).

An earlier poster here mentined the natural tendency of a site that large devolving to a state where the lowest common denominator rules. Ironically, that is what has happened to HF, IMO, with the moderating. They have so many of them, and they don\'t seem to have any criteria for who they allow to mod, that it becomes a sideshow. Mods trying to outdo mods. And the posters take their cues from the mods, as to what is allowed. So the whole thing gets just that much sillier.

I am a CBJ fan. The Preds\' mods there were notorious for venturing into the CBJ forum and insulting posters. Eventually, I took my complaint to the admins, who agreed that posters should have the ability to put mods on \"ignore\". But that didn\'t stop the flaming and poster-abuse by mods from occuring in general, and reporting subsequent mod posts to the admins through the approved channels resulted in threats and warnings from said mods of \"mod abuse\" and such.

I registered there in 2002, and have watched a once-good site go downhill quickly.

The animals run the zoo.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

narduch wrote:
    When it comes to forums the best advice I can give is don\'t **** with the mods. No matter how right you think you are, they are always more right than you.
    I will always speak my opinion, regardless of who it\'s directed at. If that happens to be a shitty moderator, so be it. If that moderator gives me a warning because he/she can\'t keep a conversation/discussion civil, that\'s basically my cue to get the hell out of dodge, because that place is not worth spending my time on.

HFboards has become nothing more than a joke. I have 5+ years of being the head moderator of a 10000+ user forum and being a regular moderator at other forums and trying to reason with the HF admin/mod base is basically the biggest joke ever. Pathetic.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I find that HF Boards is a place for people to shut down others. I post over there regularly but have slowed down recently. I\'ve been reading these forums for a while and only just joined not too long ago. I find when I need information has HF is superior though that is due to the size of the forum as well. The information here is better and it\'s more of a collective as opposed to posters and MODS puffing their chests out whenever possible. This site is by far more realistic for prospect information etc...every half decent prospect has 80 pt. potential over there.
    16 team H2H Dynasty G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, PIMS, SV%, GAA, W, Saves

C: Tavares, Krejci, Brassard, Turris, Grabovski, O'Reilly
    LW: Nash, Mueller, Kulemin, Pacioretty, Caputi, Gerbe
    RW: Perry, Hudler, Skinner, Brouwer, Ryder, Simmonds, Boll
    D: Weber, Kaberle, Stralman, Del Zotto, Schenn, Meszaros

G: Price, Bryzgalov, Schneider, Allen, Holtby, Harding

Russia: Grebeshkov

Dobber Sports Apprentice

The HF forum is ridiculous. I was banned for basically disagreeing with someone on the Carolina boards. A moderator claimed that I was trolling. The moderator\'s favourite team? You guessed it, the Carolina Hurricanes.
    My pool
    Goals = 1 point, Assists = 1/2 point, Goals Against = -1/2 point

Fowards: S. Stamkos, J. Neal, M. Moulson, M. Read, N. Foligno, B. Wheeler, L. Stempniak, J. Pavelski, B. Flynn, S. Bernier

D-men: S. Weber, PK Subban, D. Phaneuf, J. Carlson, TJ Brodie, B. Smith, M. Irwin, B. Dillon, K. Cumiskey,

Goalies: Nashville, Chicago, St. Louis

Farm: T. Rattie, R. Johansen, A. Killorn, J. Zucker, J. Akeson, M. Sgarbossa, A. Yogan, M. St. Croix, M. Friberg, E. Gelinas, A. Ness, J. Muzzin, MA Bourdon, S. Harrington, R. Smith, C. Emmerton, M. Mayorov, I. Makarov, P. Maroon

I...am your father.

Their loss is our gain digital...
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Dobber wrote:
    Their loss is our gain digital...
    Thanks Dobber. And Happy Birthday BTW!
    My pool
    Goals = 1 point, Assists = 1/2 point, Goals Against = -1/2 point

Fowards: S. Stamkos, J. Neal, M. Moulson, M. Read, N. Foligno, B. Wheeler, L. Stempniak, J. Pavelski, B. Flynn, S. Bernier

D-men: S. Weber, PK Subban, D. Phaneuf, J. Carlson, TJ Brodie, B. Smith, M. Irwin, B. Dillon, K. Cumiskey,

Goalies: Nashville, Chicago, St. Louis

Farm: T. Rattie, R. Johansen, A. Killorn, J. Zucker, J. Akeson, M. Sgarbossa, A. Yogan, M. St. Croix, M. Friberg, E. Gelinas, A. Ness, J. Muzzin, MA Bourdon, S. Harrington, R. Smith, C. Emmerton, M. Mayorov, I. Makarov, P. Maroon

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I remember when HFboards was very small and it looked like crap(it looked something like this: http://members5.boardhost.com/ChessTalk/ ), and even at that time, people were arguing. It has not changed, just got much bigger.

As for the rules, it all depends what kind of people you attract. If this site (DobberHockey) keeps on attracting \"older\" laid back people, then I do not think you will need to add a bunch of rules for a long time. As the core of posters will filter out themselves the \"odd\" posts.

HFboards is now obviously big and it also has a big reach; that is worth money. I\'m willing to bet that any add on HFboards cost money (just a guess). If this IS the case, then it would make sense to limit any other type of adds, no matter what.

I don\'t think posters need to understand the rules on HFboards because they are probably more business related then anything else. Personally, I don\'t have a problem with someone trying to protect and grow their business. At some point when dealing with people, if you want to grow into something profitable, you have to make rules. There isn\'t much of a choice. Some might not make sence to most posters but that doesn\'t not mean they do not have a usefull purpous.

It takes a long time to get regular posters. I have known about DobberHockey for over a year and I\'m just starting (last few months) to come regularly. In any type of business, it is the same thing. It takes a while and the last thing you want to do is lose your work to someone that just stops by and picks up a \"few\" of your posters.

I for one, have never had any troubles with a MOD on HFboards. Then again, I do express what I think about given situations but I try to avoid the conflictingly posts...

All in all, I don\'t think you can put down a # of people as a limit for rules or not. It all depends on who you attract, how many you attract and where you want to go with your Hockey Board and your business.

As Kevin spacy said in Swimming with Sharks \"What do you really want?

my 2 cents,