Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: HF Boards: Stressful? Restrictions Too Tight?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default HF Boards: Stressful? Restrictions Too Tight?

The Edmonton Oilers sub-forum at HF is the best place to be- the mods are relaxed and often engage intelligently in the discussion.

However, venture out of there and... let\'s just say I could write a novel about the poor modship I\'ve seen.

1. Shortly after the Jack Johnson trade, a thread popped up on the Canes board absolutely blasting him and asserting he was a guaranteed bust. The problem? It was STARTED by a mod. When I tried to counter some of the garbage, I was told by said mod that that thread was \'their place\' to be jerkoffs towards a 19 year-old kid.

2. The above incident lead me to complain to the board\'s admin. He was fairly calm and reasonable, but he also had this little gem: \"If we punished the moderators, no one would volunteer\".

3. I\'ve had run-ins with the admin who closed the thread Dobber refers to.

In a thread about Barret Jackman:

Mr Bugg: \"Stoll and Anaheim\'s 1st for Jackman?\"
    Random Poster: \"Make it Edmonton\'s 1st\"
    Mr Bugg: \"Edmonton doesn\'t have their first\"
    Admin: \"I\'m well aware of which picks Anaheim has\"

At this point, I\'m confused. I wasn\'t quoting the admin. I figured he thought I was maybe a Ducks fan, and tried to light-heartidly point out his error:

Mr Bugg: \"You might be aware of what picks Anaheim has, but... Jarret Stoll is a member of the Edmonton Oilers. \"

Admin: \"I\'ll remember to point out every single error in a post from now on.\"

You\'ll notice that THE ADMIN WASN\'T EVEN BEING QUOTED the first time. He just randomly became involved. I sitll have no idea what the **** he wanted.

bwhee

Once I found this site, I really didn\'t have to look elsewhere.

When I first logged on over a year ago, I saw some pretty big talk at the top of the page. \"Listen clown...\" you know the rest.

So, I thought, \'let\'s see if they can walk the walk\'. And this site has done nothing but that.

It seems that between Dobber and the mods(Dobber and the Mods...band name?), any irrelevant shenanigans that threaten to overtake a particular thread are squelched by nature. I think the no-nonsense responses and the sense of mutual respect you can detect when coming to this site deters the childish behavior that happens on other sites.
    It\'s not a ridiculous lovefest, yet people are accountable here.

Not to say challenges can\'t arise...but I think the gang here is up to it.

Keep up the great work.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I\'ll own up to going on HF boards. But I will qualify that, by adding that I have never once posted on it and have never even registered. I just find that if you know where to look there can be some pretty good info, ie line combo\'s, who\'s getting PP time, players that are doing well who are just snake bit etc. Sometimes I\'ll even read through the banter/flaming threads, I find many of them to be quite comical and reading it relaxes me in a strange sort of way. I\'m sure if I were in the middle of the argument it would be quite the opposite.

My thoughts on the differences between here and HF are:

Fanaticism. Some people are crazy about their teams and can extremely worked up. We\'re talking like religion/politics worked up. And although we talk about teams on here, its not like on HF where many of the threads pit one team against another or one player against another.

I mean we do compare one player to the other but it is always from a statistical perspective. On HF if your favorite player has better stats than player B you can say your player is better. But if player B has better stats then you can say that your player brings intangibles, or is more \'clutch. This is pretty much baiting an argument that neither side can win. At least here you can say player A will have a better season than player B and at the end of the year you can either back it up or eat crow.

Socially acceptable behavior. People are like sheep and just conform to whatever the social norm is. On HF, flaming people for whatever is common. Although it isn\'t really supposed to be tolerated it happens so often that it just becomes normalized. On Dobberhockey, the social norm is to help each other out. If you were to come on here and start a flame war you would get looked down by everyone because it isn\'t kosher here.

Although I appreciate how lenient Dobber is, there is a reason that the moderation on HF is the way it is. Once people start accepting the pissing matches you\'d be hard pressed to clean the board up.

10 Team Yahoo Points League

C: E.Staal, Nylander
    RW: Bouchard, Hossa
    LW: Parise, Michalek
    W: Huselius
    F: Vanek
    D: Niedermayer, Corvo, Weber, Timmonen
    G: Luongo, Miller
    BN: Bergeron, Pitkanen, Ray Whitney, Kuba, Mcdonald Ward
    IR: Ryan Whitney

typo88

agreed, while HFboards may be bigger then dobber, i value the boards here much higher.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Hey Dobber your site is the first one i check. I can not even remember the last time I checked HF Boards.

Having said that, I do not always agree with you (see your Sundin trade stance)... However, you have earned my and alot of others respect with this great site. As long as it stays like this, it will continue to be my number one fantasy hockey site.

Likely some will not be glad to hear that
    Championships

Ottawa Sun regular season champion.
    Yahoo.champion
    Scoresheet championship

Dobber Sports Prodigy

let me first start off with thank you. Dobber is the only site i use, this is my second year in a pool and my first year using a fantacy site. I would go nowhere else. When i first started out this year i heard of sites, looked at them,but was not impressed. Then I visited here and with no regrets have never looked at another site. Mr dobber, your guide i bought, your advice i follow, and after wakeing up in the morning, i scratch, them click onto the wonderful world of dobber.... lol. I beleive that this site is the complete package and the forms are exactly what each newbe and seasoned vetran need. If i had to pay to be a member i would, if i had to cut off my leg to visit here i would. I have only got one question. how do you get karma?
    THANK YOU MR DOBBER !!! you made this season great and i look foreward to all your forms, all your articles and all your insight. Sorry that i went on and on, but i can\'t say enough good about dobber.
    14 team no keepers H2H
    F:+/-, 4ptsG, 3ptsA, +1ppg,+1 ppa PIM .3pts
    G: W 6pts - ga, saves .2pts, SO 3pts
    F: Datsyuk, Iginla, Ryan, Dubinsky, Savard
    Fleishman, J Staal, Boyle, T Ruutu
    D:Green, Visknosky,
    G:Howard, Hiller

Torture

I don\'t know that I agree completely about the restrictions being too tight, because with some of the morons that post there, quite frankly, you need tough restrictions. It\'s also likely for the most part the default rules that came with their forum software, and they just added a few of their own which is why it\'s so long.

All in all though, it pains me when I have to go read HF. I find that the hockey insight there is for the most part terrible, and it\'s mostly people jumping on and off the bandwagon, or whatever.

The fantasy hockey section...well...it has about 4 posts a day, and you never get the same answer. A lot of the time the answer is the exact opposite of what I would get over here. When I first started posting here I made a couple duplicate threads. DobberHockey would for the most part agree on an answer, and HF would give me 3 different answers, and you\'d get the impression that they hadn\'t even read the thread through and understood what I was asking based on their answers.

I\'m quite happy that I found DobberHockey and CalgaryPuck. DobberHockey satisfies my Fantasy Hockey fix, CalgaryPuck gives me a lot of Flames talk (something HF can\'t even do because all HF Flames fans eventually realize that CalgaryPuck exists) and enough \"around the NHL\" talk to satisfy my desire to know what\'s going on around the league. That means that I never have to go to HF again, unless I\'m browsing one team\'s message board to find information about one of my players, and I\'m quite happy with that.

I think that orangie is partly right in that it tends to happen to large sites to a point, which is where the moderators need to step in and say \"Hey, that\'s not the way we treat each other on here\" I don\'t think it will become a problem here as the moderating crew seems to be pretty adept at handling problem situations, and as long as a watchful eye is kept this will remain an enjoyable place to post.

Dobber Sports Padawan

You get karma when someone likes what you said and clicks on the box beside karma. I have just added karma for you. Congratulations !!
    Championships

Yahoo.champion
    Scoresheet championship

Torture

coldsquad2002 wrote:
    You get karma when someone likes what you said and clicks on the box beside karma. I have just added karma for you. Congratulations !!
    I think you\'re in the wrong thread! :laugh:

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I have nearly 20,000 posts at HF but have pretty much stopped posting there. A lot of my favorite posters seem to have disappeared, and I have more fun over here at DH, when I have a break from school/life.
    Follow me on Twitter: AngusCertified
    Check my blog out: Angus Certified

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

to add, I had a fantasy advice thread there that got close to 250,000 views in a few months, and I think a lot of those readers eventually came over to DH.

The steady growth is a good thing, and the boards have been awesome so far. Getting in debates about hockey is awesome when both sides are respectful and actually know what they are talking about (like here at DH).

cheers.
    Follow me on Twitter: AngusCertified
    Check my blog out: Angus Certified

Dobber Sports Prodigy

OH YEAH.....

well...

How much chips can a chip truck truck if a chip truck could truck chips?

:huh:

Dobber Sports Padawan

Hey Torture, try learning too read :blink:
    Championships

Yahoo.champion
    Scoresheet championship

Dobber Sports Ninja

John Ferguson Jr wrote:
    OH YEAH.....

well...

How much chips can a chip truck truck if a chip truck could truck chips?

:huh:
    Hey JFJ, is that chip truck outside the Unemployment Office?:P
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Stud

I think that when one considers the parameters of joining forums, it shouldn\'t be surprising that there is a distinct possibility of things devolving to the lowest common denominator.

The same maxim holds true for life in general. Why should it be different for a hockey board ?

Its HF forums and they make the rules... just as this site has its rules and da rodents has his. If you can\'t or don\'t want to follow the rules then expect locks or TOS bootings

From Dob\'s perspective know this. Your content is timely, very readable plus it is head and shoulders above most of the \"other\" hockey related sites.

Thus the edumacated fans (and their eyeballs) are sure to follow.

I don\'t cruise HF as often as I used to but I do hit dobber pretty much everyday. The content is different.

For me it was mostly because I live in Asia I couldn\'t watch my favorite teams and players like I used to. However I now can watch the product via the wonders of the web so the \"itch\" is scratched.

just keep doing what you do best.
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.