Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Hockey Cards

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: Hockey Cards

I took a complete 1985-86 OPC set to school for show and tell (can't remember what condition, but I was younger, so certainly not perfect) when I was a kid. Show and Tell was in the morning, and I needed to leave it with the teacher to keep it safe. At the end of the day I went to get them and they were gone. The entire set. I was devastated at the time, but not because I knew it would be worth money, but because they were mine and I thought the teacher lost them! Probably one of the kids in the class took them though

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    I took a complete 1985-86 OPC set to school for show and tell (can't remember what condition, but I was younger, so certainly not perfect) when I was a kid. Show and Tell was in the morning, and I needed to leave it with the teacher to keep it safe. At the end of the day I went to get them and they were gone. The entire set. I was devastated at the time, but not because I knew it would be worth money, but because they were mine and I thought the teacher lost them! Probably one of the kids in the class took them though
    That would be brutal no matter what the thing was.

Whatever you do, don't look up how much Lemieux RC's in good condition go for these days...

Dobber Sports Ninja

My covid side hustle did well this year and I am looking to burn a little extra cash on some young gun cards that I can hold for maybe a year or two and flip.

Give me your best suggestions.

Thinking of picking up some Vilardi and Krebs cards. They can still both be had for under $20CAD easily enough right now.

Would love to pick the collective dobberhockey brain.

Dobber Sports Veteran

My covid side hustle did well this year and I am looking to burn a little extra cash on some young gun cards that I can hold for maybe a year or two and flip.

Give me your best suggestions.

Thinking of picking up some Vilardi and Krebs cards. They can still both be had for under $20CAD easily enough right now.

Would love to pick the collective dobberhockey brain.
    Will be interesting to see the answer here. For sure, not a good time for Lafreniere Young Guns, but if he keep struggling, I wonder if the price will go down....
    1) 16 teams full keeper H2H. Start 9F, 4D, 1G, 2 Championships
    pts: (D : 7 pts G /5 pts A), (F : 5pts G /3 pts A), (G : 10 pts W / 5 pts SO), (D/F : 1 pt +/-, 0.5 pts PIM, 0.1 FOW, 0.2 Hits, 0.3 pts SOG, PP and SH).

Forward : Aho, Svechnikov, PLDubois, Giroux, Couture, Wheeler, Cozens, Karlsson, Vrana, Anderson,​Greenway,

Defenses : Dahlin, Fox, Doughty, Toews, , Slavin, Miller

Goalies : Oettinger, Vanecek, Bobrovsky

Prospects : Dostal, Schmid, Chinakhov, Bordeleau, Ostlund, Brindley, Gulyayev

Dobber Sports Titan

Wander Franco, Luis Roberts, Tatis are all baseball guys that should increase,
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by berni67 View Post
    Will be interesting to see the answer here. For sure, not a good time for Lafreniere Young Guns, but if he keep struggling, I wonder if the price will go down....
    Yeah, I'm not buying at these prices for him for sure.

If I want to bump up my spending a bit I still think Eichel's card is pretty decently priced. If he ever gets out of Buffalo...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Wander Franco, Luis Roberts, Tatis are all baseball guys that should increase,
    Nice, I'll do some research. I like Franco as a suggestion!

Dobber Sports Titan

Yeah, I'm not buying at these prices for him for sure.

If I want to bump up my spending a bit I still think Eichel's card is pretty decently priced. If he ever gets out of Buffalo...

- - - Updated - - -

Nice, I'll do some research. I like Fraco as a suggestion!
    Make sure it's Wander Franco and not Maikel Franco lol.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Ninja

Haha for sure.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I think a solid investment would be Timothy Lilegren ($7.99) - If he turns into anything for the Leafs, there will be a Leafs fan that will overpay you for it!

Shane Bowers ($5.99) - Heard that he might be making his debut with the Avalanche - could be worth the risk.
    Pavel Francouz ($9.99) - Future #1 goalie on an Avalanche team that should be good for a while

And I like your Peyton Krebs idea - future Captain and will be the all-time leader in Vegas Golden Knights points when his long-tenured career with the team is over!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Ninja

Thanks!

Dobber Sports Deity

So I am giving this thread a boot again, after just reading that a Gretzky rookie card just sold for $3.45 MILLION dollars at auction. As mentioned in this thread earlier, I have a legit Gretzky rookie card.

If I wanted to get that card graded, does anyone know where in Canada they do this and roughly what it might cost?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    So I am giving this thread a boot again, after just reading that a Gretzky rookie card just sold for $3.45 MILLION dollars at auction. As mentioned in this thread earlier, I have a legit Gretzky rookie card.

If I wanted to get that card graded, does anyone know where in Canada they do this and roughly what it might cost?
    I believe you want to send it away to PSA grading. However I heard that they're not accepting any cards right now due to the major backlog. I'm not sure if that has been lifted but that is going to be what you want to look into.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    I believe you want to send it away to PSA grading. However I heard that they're not accepting any cards right now due to the major backlog. I'm not sure if that has been lifted but that is going to be what you want to look into.
    Are they a Canadian company?

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post

PSA is the premium choice but no, they are not in Canada. They also recently suspended all of their affordable service options (due to insane volume), so I believe the cheapest option right now is $300 per card (USD). Plus shipping both ways, insurance, etc, and the wait times are exceptionally long.

The best Canadian option for vintage cards is without a doubt KSA. They have offices on each coast and the cost is roughly $25 per card (less if you send a bunch of cards). Turnaround time is a couple months, or you can pay $40 and cut that down to a week or so. Of course you'll also need to pay shipping each way and insurance if you want it.

People will say not to use KSA because the resale values wont be as high as PSA (and that's true for cards of the same grade), but there is more to it than that (too much for this post). I've sent a couple Gretzky RC's to KSA myself.

If you feel like uploading a couple good photos I'd love to have a look and could give you a rough idea as to what grade you might be able to expect.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    PSA is the premium choice but no, they are not in Canada. They also recently suspended all of their affordable service options (due to insane volume), so I believe the cheapest option right now is $300 per card (USD). Plus shipping both ways, insurance, etc, and the wait times are exceptionally long.

The best Canadian option for vintage cards is without a doubt KSA. They have offices on each coast and the cost is roughly $25 per card (less if you send a bunch of cards). Turnaround time is a couple months, or you can pay $40 and cut that down to a week or so. Of course you'll also need to pay shipping each way and insurance if you want it.

People will say not to use KSA because the resale values wont be as high as PSA (and that's true for cards of the same grade), but there is more to it than that (too much for this post). I've sent a couple Gretzky RC's to KSA myself.

If you feel like uploading a couple good photos I'd love to have a look and could give you a rough idea as to what grade you might be able to expect.
    Good info, thanks. I'll try and take some good pictures. It's in a hard plastic sleeve right now for protection so I'd probably have to take it out of there to get a good picture of it. Let me see what I can do.