Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Hockey Cards

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Hockey Cards

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Good info, thanks. I'll try and take some good pictures. It's in a hard plastic sleeve right now for protection so I'd probably have to take it out of there to get a good picture of it. Let me see what I can do.
    The case will make it hard to take photos for sure, but I would honestly avoid handling it as much as possible. Just keep it in the case until you're ready to send it for grading. It doesn't take much to do some microscopic damage that will knock you down a grade or two.

Dobber Sports Deity

10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Deity

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Prolly a 7-8 total grading?

There's centering grades that you have 0 control over that can change the grading total, but it looks centered.

Only grade with PSA, BGS, or SGC. You wanna go one of the top ones if you have a top card.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Prolly a 7-8 total grading?

There's centering grades that you have 0 control over that can change the grading total, but it looks centered.

Only grade with PSA, BGS, or SGC. You wanna go one of the top ones if you have a top card.
    Ya, I had no control over the cut obviously. I tried taking a couple close ups of the corners/edges.

Dobber Sports Star

Looks like you took good care of it, but the centering is going to majorly affect the grade. With KSA for example, the highest possible grade you can get with worse than 80/20 centering is a 6. You could measure the centering to see for sure, but it looks worse than 80/20 to me so I think you're going to be looking at a KSA 6 at best.

PSA tends to grade even tougher than that, and based on the centering again I think you will probably be maxing out at a PSA 5. A PSA 5 requires centering of at least 85/15 on the front and 90/10 on the back.

PSA does offer "qualifiers" as an option when you submit, where they will not dock you so much for a single issue like centering, but instead give it an "OC" (Off-Center) qualifier in the grade. So you might get something like a PSA "7 (OC)" which some people prefer but would bring a value similar to a PSA 5 (the value is generally around 2 grades lower if there's a qualifier).

If it were mine and I were looking to sell, I would either send it into KSA or wait until PSA gets their operation under control and submit to them. Of course between now and then the market might fall out, so you need to weigh that as well. If you just want it in a slab to protect it, to look cool and to be something you hang on to, then of course you can make any decision you wish. Getting it in a slab from any major company is a great way to protect it and show it off if nothing else.

Dobber Sports Deity

Right on, much appreciated for the opinion.

Dobber Sports Star

psa 7oc.jpg

Here's a similar looking card in a PSA 7 (OC). Of course there are many other factors that will move the needle (slight surface scratches, wrinkles, marks, printing defects, etc), so it's impossible to say for sure. Submitting to PSA with the qualifier option selected would be a great way to go, but again it's very expensive and will take a long time to get back.

Whatever you do, nice card!

Dobber Sports Titan

I'd get it done, just as a personal item. Get it done, and have it on your work desk or something. It's $25 to have it put in a nice plastic case.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Initiate

I have a Gretzky rookie card as well. I have a bunch of old and modern rookies. Should get them graded.
    I am a hockey obsessed fiend.