Thread: QB Draft Strategy

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default QB Draft Strategy

I'm trying to get an idea of what I want to do in my draft this season for QB. Last season 3 of the 4 teams that made our playoffs had elite QBs but our scoring set up favored QBs and thats something that will be fixed this season. So would you guys suggest going after an elite QB early in the draft or should I wait and try to grab someone later.

I'm currently thinking I'll try to pick Rivers in the 4th (12 team league) and maybe try to get Ryan in the 6th or 7th. Would this be a sound strategy? Does anyone other than Dyv think that Rivers will have a comeback year?
    Fantrax - Salary cap dynasty - cap hit - H2H each category
    Start: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2UTIL, 2G, 6 Bench, 4IR
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PIM, STG, STA, SOG, FOW, GWG, Hits, BLK, W, GAA, Saves, SV%, SO

C: Getzlaf, Turris, Eakin, ____
    LW: Kunitz, MacArthur, Pacioretty, ____
    RW: Little (C), Tarasenko, Eriksson (LW)
    D: Pietrangelo, JJ, Streit, Brodie, Benn, ____
    G: Lundqvist, Bishop, Holtby

Farm: Grigorenko, H Lindholm, Faksa, Collberg, Grimaldi, Lee, K Hayes, G Carey, Schmaltz
    G: Grubauer, Gudlevskis

Dobber Sports Padawan

I think if you end up with those two you'll be playing matchups most ofter, with Ryan winning that coin toss a fair bit (depending on SOS)
    Tweet @ Me brah!
    10 team Auction Keeper-Year 7, No FAs, Points only, Weekly Lineups
    C-Backstrom, Stepan, Desharnais
    W-Ovie, Pacioretty, Kadri, Nyquist, Granlund, Schwartz
    D- Chara, Wideman, Kronwall, Phaneuf
    G-Varlamov
    Bench: Schenn, MSmith, Yakupov, Hartnell, Gionta, Williams, Carle
    Farm: Barkov, Kucherov, Monahan, Trouba, Klimchuk, Poirier, Nieto, Toffoli, Dumba, Gormley, GReinhart, BSmith, Aberg
    Proud owner of entire first round in KPL 2015 prospect draft

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by letangerang58 View Post
    I'm trying to get an idea of what I want to do in my draft this season for QB. Last season 3 of the 4 teams that made our playoffs had elite QBs but our scoring set up favored QBs and thats something that will be fixed this season. So would you guys suggest going after an elite QB early in the draft or should I wait and try to grab someone later.

I'm currently thinking I'll try to pick Rivers in the 4th (12 team league) and maybe try to get Ryan in the 6th or 7th. Would this be a sound strategy? Does anyone other than Dyv think that Rivers will have a comeback year?
    I think you have two choices this year. Either go big early with Rodgers or Brady, or wait. QB is deep this year imo. You can get guys like Peyton, Big Ben, RG3, and Cutler after round 6. Grabbing two of these guys is making it into my draft strategies more and more often.

This allows you snap up RBs or an elite TE in the first few rounds and then grab WRs in rounds 4-6 where we really start to see just how deep the WR position is and how shallow the RB position is this year.

Dobber Sports Padawan

If Cutlet is dropping past 6th and Rivers is going 4th for SURE wait for someone like Cutler who has Marshall back at his disposal, while Rivers lost Jackson.

I don't think I have drafted a QB in the first 3 (maybe 4) rounds the last 5 years. Has never presented a problem for me.
    Tweet @ Me brah!
    G-Varlamov
    Farm: Barkov, Kucherov, Monahan, Trouba, Klimchuk, Poirier, Nieto, Toffoli, Dumba, Gormley, GReinhart, BSmith, Aberg

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Price View Post
    I think you have two choices this year. Either go big early with Rodgers or Brady, or wait. QB is deep this year imo. .
    This is the strategy I go with. My leagues have usually been RB heavy so MAYBE 1 QB goes in round 1, and then there is a run around round 4 or 5. I normally wait for that initial run and have actually been lucky by getting Schaub a couple of times and then Stafford last season. If you miss out early, stock up on other solid players while the other guys go after that 2nd tier who are only marginally better than the 3rd tier.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

QBs are the goalies of fantasy football.
    Where to draft them is all about league size & scoring.

As you said, in leagues where there is BIG point scoring for QBs (400+ pt range for ELITE QBs vs. high 200s for ELITE RBs/WRs), you have to look at grabbing a good QB because the spread between #1 QB and #12 QB might be 150pts.

However, if the scoring is tuned down (where ELITE QBs are in the mid/low 300s) and the spread is only 75-100pts, that's when you shift gears and grab your QB late.

It's all about relative difference... and unfortunately, that requires a mathematical model of your league scoring to really PEG when to draft a guy. One of my league's awards 6pts for a QB TD, another league awards 4pts. So it can be really hard for anybody to give generic advice.

IF, as you say, your league is scaling down QB scoring... then I'd recommend switching tactics and going RB/WR heavy for the first 4-5 rounds, with a QB much later.

I wish I had the motivation to make some Excel spreadsheets to compare, but hockey will always trump football in my world.

Good luck.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    QBs are the goalies of fantasy football.
    Where to draft them is all about league size & scoring.

As you said, in leagues where there is BIG point scoring for QBs (400+ pt range for ELITE QBs vs. high 200s for ELITE RBs/WRs), you have to look at grabbing a good QB because the spread between #1 QB and #12 QB might be 150pts.

However, if the scoring is tuned down (where ELITE QBs are in the mid/low 300s) and the spread is only 75-100pts, that's when you shift gears and grab your QB late.

It's all about relative difference... and unfortunately, that requires a mathematical model of your league scoring to really PEG when to draft a guy. One of my league's awards 6pts for a QB TD, another league awards 4pts. So it can be really hard for anybody to give generic advice.

IF, as you say, your league is scaling down QB scoring... then I'd recommend switching tactics and going RB/WR heavy for the first 4-5 rounds, with a QB much later.

I wish I had the motivation to make some Excel spreadsheets to compare, but hockey will always trump football in my world.

Good luck.
    I'm unfamiliar with multi-cat goalie scoring... how often can a goalie win your week in that type of scenario?
    Tweet @ Me brah!
    G-Varlamov