Thread: Strange Yahoo mock computer picks

The Wolverine

Default Strange Yahoo mock computer picks

I joined a mock draft and have set it to auto draft, but occasionally popping to check some of it out. There are some strange computer picks and I don't know why it's happened.

Firstly, all of my bench are RB (6) and a couple weren't even in my pre-rankings, though some guys on my list were still available. If it makes a difference, these guys had higher Yahoo ranks but I left them off my list. The rules say that it goes by your list first, then the Yahoo one. Here's the important part:

"Active and Bench Picks

It's important to remember that all starting positions are filled before any bench players are chosen. The system determines a maximum number of players to draft per position (starters plus bench) so that your roster doesn’t end up with too many players at any single position. That is, the system doesn’t pick five players from the same position for your team in a league that has a single starting player in that position."

The only thing that I did when setting it up was excluding all kickers so not sure if that messed up their formula. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by horrorfan; July 30, 2012 at 6:15 PM.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    I joined a mock draft and have set it to auto draft, but occasionally popping to check some of it out. There are some strange computer picks and I don't know why it's happened.

Firstly, all of my bench are RB (6) and a couple weren't even in my pre-rankings, though some guys on my list were still available. If it makes a difference, these guys had higher Yahoo ranks but I left them off my list. The rules say that it goes by your list first, then the Yahoo one. Here's the important part:

"Active and Bench Picks

It's important to remember that all starting positions are filled before any bench players are chosen. The system determines a maximum number of players to draft per position (starters plus bench) so that your roster doesn’t end up with too many players at any single position. That is, the system doesn’t pick five players from the same position for your team in a league that has a single starting player in that position."

The only thing that I did when setting it up was excluding all kickers so not sure if that messed up their formula. Any thoughts?
    That doesn't sound like fun. Horrorfan - do you have to Autodraft again for our DobberFootball league this year? If that's the case, and you're worried the system is going to mess up your picks, if you'd rather send me (or anyone in our pool) your pre-draft rankings before the draft and temporarily change your usual yahoo password and give one of us access to select your team I wouldn't mind doing that to help ya out so you don't end up with a bench full of one position or something ridiculous like that. Let me know.
    Last edited by PocketRockets05; July 31, 2012 at 9:07 AM.
    12 teams h-to-h partial keeper league. Daily line-up changes.
    End of the year u keep 1C, 2W, 2D, 1G
    Categories: G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, FW, W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    Lineup: 2C, 4W, 4D, 2G, 5Bench, 2IR

Dobber Sports Demi-God

You broke Yahoo.

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    You broke Yahoo.
    lol...I think he's just being proactive in setting up potential excuses as to why he'll have Earnest Graham as his starting RB.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    lol...I think he's just being proactive in setting up potential excuses as to why he'll have Earnest Graham as his starting RB.
    Hahaha yup
    12 teams h-to-h partial keeper league. Daily line-up changes.
    End of the year u keep 1C, 2W, 2D, 1G
    Categories: G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, FW, W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    Lineup: 2C, 4W, 4D, 2G, 5Bench, 2IR

The Wolverine

Haha funny guys - Earnest Graham - be realistic. It's Ronnie Brown, sheesh.

The thing is that the starters were fine - worked out perfectly but once it got to my bench it got all screwy. I'm going to contact Yahoo and hope they'll be able to help me beyond giving me a form answer.

Yeah I will be autodrafting for our league so we'll see if I can find out what happened. If I did actually screw up the formula by excluding kickers (don't know why, and need to check last year's draft as well as I did the same), and there is no other solution then I might just let them pick a kicker in the ninth round. I'd rather auto draft my own team than having someone else pick one but I appreciate the offer, thanks.

Will update this thread if/when I get a response.

Haha funny guys - Earnest Graham - be realistic. It's Ronnie Brown, sheesh.

The thing is that the starters were fine - worked out perfectly but once it got to my bench it got all screwy. I'm going to contact Yahoo and hope they'll be able to help me beyond giving me a form answer.

Yeah I will be autodrafting for our league so we'll see if I can find out what happened. If I did actually screw up the formula by excluding kickers (don't know why, and need to check last year's draft as well as I did the same), and there is no other solution then I might just let them pick a kicker in the ninth round. I'd rather auto draft my own team than having someone else pick one but I appreciate the offer, thanks.

Will update this thread if/when I get a response.
    seriously though if you need help, and want to send a list out let me know.
    @SmittysRant

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    seriously though if you need help, and want to send a list out let me know.
    Thanks, but I would rather 'choose' my own sqaud regardless, even if the kicker is picked early. I have to give you guys a bit of an advantage!

I checked last year's league and even though I had a few RB on my bench post draft, I also had a QB and WR, so no issue there.

I have just emailed Yahoo so we'll see what response I get.

The Wolverine

Ok, I have received a response. Basically by excluding a starting position that the system is required to fill, from that point on the draft becomes random. Why specifically I got all RB on my bench is unknown, and they probably don't know. However, if this could happen then I might as well leave some kickers in. It's not the end of the world getting one in the ninth round. I guess I'll likely get a good one! Thanks for the offers but I'd like to stick with my auto draft.