Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Carolina Hurricanes

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Carolina Hurricanes

Quote Originally Posted by hockeymanG23 View Post
    That’s interesting. It surprised me at first glance but he was playing center at the U20 tourney between Laine and Pulj wasn’t he?
    Yes he did but that was mostly because they had no other options. He played wing in Liiga as well. He probably has played center in junior but the WJC tournament was the only place I've seen him play that position.

But he has a lot of good qualities you'd want from a center. He's defensively reliable, loves to have the puck on his stick and is a very good playmaker.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    I remember reading an article from the Carolina GM (I think?) who said Aho needs one more season playing wing and then they'll move him to center. I don't know if he can be their #1C but sounded like they might try that at least.
    Oh wow- that definitely IS interesting.

Man Im worried about Skinner. Literally the only comparable I can draw is Evander Kane. To me Kane is used the way he is because despite his physical gifts he suffers from too much puck selfishness and not enough hockey IQ imo. You put him on your third line and he can wreak havoc single handedly. You put him on your powerplay and all he does is bogart your quality chances with his fire from anywhere mentality. Im not saying thats Skinner- Id really like to believe it isnt- but how can someone that productive stay buried on 3rd and 4th lines with no pp time?? Is he a puck dummy (good player- low hockey IQ)- like Kane? Again I hope not- but were at a stage in his career where he should be demanding more quality rime...

The Great One

This article is dated and doesnt speak to hockey IQ specifically- which would presumably entail things like split second decision making and so forth- but it definitely douses the idea that hes not smart. The article suggests hes very bright:

https://www.thestar.com/sports/hocke...long_time.html

Dobber Sports Wizard

Looks like Aho at center might be happening sooner than expected.

Cory Lavalette‏ @corylav
    Peters said Aho can be dynamic in the middle. Practiced him there today so he can be ready when the team needs him there. Said he liked the lines from the end of the Avs game.

Betting money is on Aho starting at center tomorrow.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

The new VP of Hockey Operations, Paul Krepelka, was on The Full 60 podcast with Craig Custance and it's worth a listen. This guy was a super agent with the Orr Group and walked away from it cold turkey. He's now going to be leading contract negotiations and gives some insight on how Tom Dundon is going to be running the team. Even drops a few hints about how they're going to be turning some heads this summer...

https://soundcloud.com/user-38892502...-paul-krepelka
    ESPN keeper league (5 rounds draft; 3 FA pickups per year; points for G, A, W, SO)

Forwards: Ovechkin, McDavid, Huberdeau, Voracek, Boeser, Wennberg, Galchenyuk, Tkachuk, Keller, Arvidsson, Teravainen, Rantanen
    D-men: Letang, Keith, Krug, Ellis, Ekblad, Hanifin
    Goalies: Murray, Hellebuyck

Bench: Hertl, Bjorkstrand, Gallagher, Domi, Tolvanen, Niskanen, Chychrun, Darling, Mrazek, Jarry

Dobber Sports Titan

Skinner is getting shopped. Imagine his return if he was traded last season and not this offseason
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Veteran

Tell me about Zykov and Wallmark, and their projected roles and points for the upcoming season.

Please!
    10 Team Limited Keeper (Keep 8) Points Only
    SALARY CAP (Player Salaries) League
    20 Player Teams = 12 Fwd 6 D 2 G

My team: ???

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Zykov just signed a one-way deal over the summer and looked good at the end of last season with Teravainen and Aho. He might not start with them but there's a good chance he plays in the top 6.

Wallmark has dark horses potential. Like Zykov, he put up great numbers in the AHL.

For projected points and roles, it's best to refer to the Dobber Fantasy Guide. He has Zykov as a Calder Trophy candidate (albeit a long shot) and 39 points this year as LW2. Wallmark is projected for 22 points as either C3 or C4, depending on how long Victor Rask is out for.

In both cases, it's best to temper expectations because Carolina has never been known as a high-scoring team.
    Last edited by Poutine; September 19, 2018 at 4:20 PM. Reason: My post was copied 3 times for no reason.
    ESPN keeper league (5 rounds draft; 3 FA pickups per year; points for G, A, W, SO)

Forwards: Ovechkin, McDavid, Huberdeau, Voracek, Boeser, Wennberg, Galchenyuk, Tkachuk, Keller, Arvidsson, Teravainen, Rantanen

Bench: Hertl, Bjorkstrand, Gallagher, Domi, Tolvanen, Niskanen, Chychrun, Darling, Mrazek, Jarry

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I'm going to the game tonight against Tampa so if either is playing then I'll report back!

Dobber Sports Jedi

Wallmark is more likely a 3C - 4C when Rask returns, really limiting his value. Skinner getting dealt directly impacts Zykov and gives him the inside track on a top 6 spot - he still needs to win it in camp though. If Zykov puts up Heinen type numbers this year - low 40's it'll be a really good year. Wallmark I wouldn't expect more than 30-35 at best
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Ace

The Foegele - Necas - Williams line is looking real interesting. Their on the third line so not exactly facing the best of the Rangers but looking good.

Foegele can finish.
    H2H Dynasty, 16 Team Salary: G, A, PPP, SOG, Hits, BKS, SHTOI, W, Sv%, Saves, GA%, (4C, 4RW, 4LW, 6D, 1G)

C: Crosby, Malkin, Larkin, Hartman, McBain, Joshua
    RW: Rantanen, Konecny, Strome, Batherson, Zetterland
    LW: Buchnevich, Ehlers, Marchessault, Bertuzzi, Acciari
    D: McNabb, Ferraro, Hakanpaa, Lyabushkin, Samuelsson, Bernard-Docker, Emberson
    G: Merzlikens, Daccord, Samsonov
    Prospects: Kurich, Lucius, Pelletier, Cristall, Yurov, Beckman, Brisson, Dean, Phillips, Poitras

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Necas is going to be really good!! Wow, talented kid!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    Necas is going to be really good!! Wow, talented kid!!
    I agree. He's a lot of fun to watch. But I do wonder if Brind'Amour shifts him to the wing for his rookie season. It's not uncommon for such a young player to be eased into the pace of the NHL.

Brind'Amour has been sending Staal out to take defensive zone faceoffs with Necas's line mates, which is pretty sensible.

As an overall comment, I love the fact that Brind'Amour is taking a Gallant-type approach and letting his players make mistakes as long as they're trying to make plays. It certainly has made for exciting games so far!

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Frustrating loss to the B's, whom I feel we hardly ever win against. Controlled play for much of the first half of the game, and I felt the Bruins looked lethargic, at times. But after they caught up and smelled blood they outworked the Canes. Not going to pin it all on Darling, but the two Marchand goals...christ. I would attribute them mostly to getting outworked. But Darling has issues with cutting down angles, especially in the past and Marchand's first looked like that. The wraparound... Darling bit and got burned. He looks awkward out there, Darling does, but I hope he turns it around. I feel bad for the guy sometimes. And then I remember he's making over 4m a year, and then I get confused.

Slavin looks great, as always. Aho and Teravainen were dangerous, as always. Ah, the real reason I wanted to post.

Obtaining Dougie Hamilton was a coup. I am unsure as to why he is not PP1, but suspect he will slowly usurp Faulk (who has stepped his game up a bit, but is likely being given the minutes for exposure, and is still being shopped). He is offensively aggressive in a manner the Canes desperately need, as most of their shots are not dangerous scoring threats. They keep a lot of pressure on, but just seem to throw it on the net without much behind it. Hamilton looks great out there. Pick him up.

Glad to see Ferland make use of his time on the top line. Plenty of grit and again, the Canes are desperate for it. The only other guy willing to stand up for himself or his teammates used to be Brock McGinn, who I have always rooted for. He has a good shot and works hard. But the tenacity is infectious, and I think I am starting to see it throughout the lineup. A man can hope.

Anywho, sorry to ramble. Just my thoughts on a team that will always let me down. Except that one time in '06. Thanks Edmonton..
    30 team league, DYNASTY
    Hartford Whalers

GO CANES

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

-I would like to see Svechnikov on the PP1 instead of Zykov
    -Yes Hamilton instead of Faulk in PP1 is a no-brainer for the remaining of the calendar
    -The Carolina Hurricanes really impressed me this season, they are exciting to watch
    -Sebastian Aho... what a start!!
    10 Keepers Salary Cap League (96,025,000M Cap - Players CAP-HIT)
    8 Teams / 12 FW, 6 D, 1G, 4 Scratches
    +6 ELC contracts (farm)

F: 1xG + 1xA
    D: 2xG + 1xA
    G: 2xW + 1xOTL + 1xSO

F: Hintz, J. Hughes, Schmaltz, Zacha, Hyman, Novak, Hartman, Stamkos, Knies, Marchessault, Konecny, Monahan,
    D: Heiskanen, Andersson, Sergachev, Mintyukov, Addison, Guhle

G: Shesterkin

Scratch : Dach, Wheeler, Eklund,
    Lundkvist
    FARM : Edvinsson, Stankoven, Kulich, Musty, Leonard, Hutson