Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Carolina Hurricanes

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Statistician could be a reason (if true) or it could simply be his injuries have left him a bit less willing to throw the body around.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by 4horsemen View Post
    I was having this exact conversation the other day and was told that the statistician in Carolina changed during that time. I have no link to prove this but it seems plausible.
    Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    Statistician could be a reason (if true) or it could simply be his injuries have left him a bit less willing to throw the body around.
    Interesting, yeah both of these seem like very possible explanations. I guess if we could get confirmation on which one of them it is that would be fantastic (though very difficult I'm sure)...because if it was the statistician then it's all but guaranteed that the numbers will still be lower...whereas if it was the body he could get back up there if his body is feeling strong.

The Great One

Holy crap- Semin signs!

Broken by Dyz in the Semin thread:
    Carolina Hurricanes ‏@NHLCanes
    BREAKING: Canes agree to terms with Alexander Semin on a one-year, $7 million contract: http://carhur.com/ddv

Love it! Running out of the house for a bit- speculation when I get back. Love to hear some thoughts!

Dobber Sports Grand Master

If CAR could add another reliable d-man and a bit more depth in the bottom 6, they could be a force.

The Great One

So I just have a few musings on the Semin situation and I managed to pose them without any use of the dreaded "E" word:

Semin is a great fit for Carolina.

Adding another dangerous offensive weapon is a great move for Carolina. They now have a legitimate top that can stand against most others in the league and more importantly- stacks up nicely in their own division. Between the Staal trade and this signing Carolina is looking like a different team especially as far as poolies are concerned.

So the question becomes this: Is Carolina a good fit for Semin?

First off Im glad he signed for a year. Speculation was that he was holding out for a longer term deal- which likely wasnt coming. Wed be missing out on an exciting and underrated player. A one year signing means he has made a conscious decision to stick it out in the NHL rather than defecting and he will be very motivated to play for a longer term deal and big money next year. A healthy and motivated Alexander Semin has the ability to shock a lot of casual fans in terms of what hes capable of. I also like to think the negative press and rumor mongering about his lack of character during this process will mean hes got something to prove. Im guessing we will see a more fired up Semin than we have seen in quite some time and when a player with that much skill is "dialed in" I tend to think they can thrive in just about any situation.

There are other question marks.

The point has been made that their will not be any kind of Russian welcoming committee in the Carolina system. That can make it difficult for any soviet player to adjust and find his niche in the dressing room. In Semin you also have a guy who was noted to be generally quiet to begin with- even stand-offish. It could be a stumbling block. That being said- the optimist in me likes to think maybe thats exactly what Semin needs. In Washington there was always a very strong Russian presence in the dressing room. Indeed if you had a tendency to shy away from the spotlight or adversity in the dressing room than it probably wouldn't be too hard to find a nice comfortable spot somewhere behind Alexander Ovechkins ego, where you can blend into the background and quietly go about your business. In an ideal world Semin comes out of his shell a bit in Carolina and starts to take more ownership of his own game, his play, and his role on the team. It has been discussed at length that many of the issues with Semin surround his personality. Moving away from the team that drafted you and the good friend who just happens to be one of the leagues biggest megastars- might just be a catalyst for Semins personal development. Playing without a safety net could be just what the doctor ordered. (Hey- it worked for Bruce Wayne when he was making the climb out of "the pit"!).

The other question about fit we have to ask is wether or not he will have chemistery with the teams existing stars. I think many of us would like to pencil in a line of Staal, Staal, Semin- crank up our projections for each of them and call it a day. Im not sure thats going to be the case though. Management has already stated he will get a look there but Kirk Muller has some very exciting options for the first time in awhile so I wouldnt be surpised to see a little bit of line juggling while he establishes chemistery.

Will he fit with Eric Staal? To be honest Im not so sure- not on paper anyways. Some star players can slot in anyplace you put them, others tend to thrive with a pretty specific set of variables. Eric is a funny guy that way- his best years were playing with Eric Cole. They are both big guys who can absolutely fly- they were dangerous and imposing coming off the rush and its a style of offensive play Staal has dogmatically adhered too. That just isnt Semins game. While skating isnt exactly a weak point for the talented Russian he also not known for his blazing up and down speed. He is a cerebral player who thrives playing a posession game. As I stated above Im sure that will not prevent them form getting a long look together but in the end it may not be a good fit chemistery wise. Stranger things have happened but to be honest I think Skinner might be a bettrer fit on that topline if hes healthy- complimenting the speed and north/south style of the Staals.

All is not lost for Semin owners however. First off, he will be spoon fed as much PP1 time as he can handle and there is virtually no chance- barring disaster- that he will be missing out on those key offensive minutes. He is one of (if not THE) leagues best shooters- and when he gets enough time and space to find the spot he wants- he is an absolute nightmare for opposing goalies. Secondly- he has shown he can thrive in a supplemental offensive role. In Washington he played well with OV and Backstrom but also excelled playing on the second line- under the radar and a step away from the oppositions top shutdown component. Thirdly- I just think there is potential for some fantastic chemistery between Jokinen and Semin. Jussi can play a similar cerebral/finesse type of game and his defensive instincts might offset the odd turnover that are part and parcel with Semins game. Theoretically Ruutu crashing around making space for these guys could be the perfect storm.

To be honest its hard to say how the lines will shake down but at this point Im optimisitic that there is a fit here somewhere. There is so much versatility in the top six that Carolina should have the tools to put Semin in a spot where he will succeed. If Im a Semin owner, Im confident he will get a chance to match his career bests here.

- Since his sophomore year hees a career .86 ppg player- 70 points pro rated.

- In that time injuries have been a concern averaging 69.5 gp in that same period.

- Hes already had two career high seasons at 1.27ppg and 1.15ppg good for 104 and 94 pro-rated respectively.

Im not a stats geek but to me that sais we're looking at about 70 games with 60 points (.86ppg) as a ground floor, and attainable upside at 88 points (1.27) with a pretty nice goal ratio in each case. If he can stay healthy all bets are off.

At 28 he's in his prime, motivated to play for a big contract, going to a versatile lineup with some great complimentary players and finds himself in a situation where he will have a variety of different ways to succeed. My prediction?

Homerun.
    Last edited by Fighting_Emu; July 30, 2012 at 1:03 PM.

Dobber Sports Star

NEED SOME HELP!!!

Just got offered Semin/Faulk and Brayden Schenn for Backstrom (was) and Josi

Please help me out re Faulk - is this guy a Cam Fowler type cornerstone D? Rutherford seems to love him and it is just him and McBain with righty shots, correct?

Really in a pinch here - visions of a 35-40 goal year from Semin and a cornerstone D got me really considering shipping Nicki Backs

Would love your take
    20 Team Dynasty League - POINTS ONLY (Champion - 2017, 2016, 2015)

Goalie: W (3.5) SO (4) L (-1)
    Daily starts: 9 Fwd, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Wilson Beauvillier Labanc
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour
    Butcher Murray Bayreuther

Fleury
    Domingue

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Latest News:

(9/15/12) Bobby Sanguinetti has been placed on waivers by the Hurricanes. The 24-year-old defenseman enjoyed a stellar year in the AHL last season, collecting 40 assists and 50 points in 60 games.

I believe this was another Rutherford class move to give akid anopportunity to succeed. Sangs has always had the tools offensively and has drastically improved his defence.

Just needs the right opportunity.

Dobber Sports Guru

Just an interesting little tidbit I came across on twitter from the Canes beat writer, I suspect it could be just for training camp but nevertheless thought it may be worth sharing,

@ice_chip: Dalpe, Bowman, Sanguinetti have lockers set up at RCI. Just saying.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

any updates on line combos is pre season?

Dobber Sports Recruit

Quote Originally Posted by dbrzrk View Post
    any updates on line combos is pre season?
    Boychuk-E.Staal-Semin
    Skinner-J.Staal-Dalpe
    Tlusty-Jokinen-LaRose
    Bowman-Brent-Dwyer

Pitkanen-Faulk
    Gleason-Corvo
    Harrison-Sanguinetti

PP1:
    Semin-E.Staal-Jokinen
    Faulk-Corvo

PP2:
    LaRose-J.Staal-Skinner
    Pitkanen-Sanguinetti
    Last edited by AB33; January 17, 2013 at 9:40 PM.

Dobber Sports Guru

from twitter:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
    CAR is returning Ryan Murphy to junior.

Dobber Sports Guru

Well they didnt last long in the starting lineup

Chip Alexander ‏@ice_chip
    Boychuk, Dalpe, McBain are scratches, Muller says.

Dobber Sports Guru

from twitter:

Chip Alexander ‏@ice_chip
    Corvi out of lineup tonight. McBain with Pitkanen. Ward will start in goal.

I really need Ward to turn it around for me so im glad they keep going back to him.

Dobber Sports Guru

Looks like Sanguinetti has really grabbed a spot in the lineup since first they sat McBain over him and now Corvo over him. Both of them are highly paid and established D-men while Sanguinetti is a rookie D-man on a two-way deal so it's somewhat surprising to see that. Is Sanguinetti finally living up to his potential?
    UHL Pittsburgh Penguins

24 Team Fantrax Salary Cap H2H Dynasty League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    , Hits, Blks, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO
    23 Man Roster - 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3F, 6D, 1G, 4BN, 4IR
    27 Man Minor Team

C-
    Tavares, Stepan, Granlund, Bjugstad, Couturier
    LW- Ryan, Perron, Ennis, Killorn, Spaling
    RW-
    Wheeler, Simmonds, Coyle, Wingels, Shaw
    D-
    JJ, Schultz, Cowen, Muzzin, Bortuzzo, Stanton
    G- Lehtonen, Rämö

F: Lehterä, Wennberg,
    McNeill, de la Rose, Fast, Leivo, Arnold, Archibald, Lindström
    D: Gelinas, Beaulieu, Koekkoek, McCabe, Johns, Gryba
    G: Berra, Talbot, Brossoit, Ullmark, Lieuwen, Rynnäs

*UHL Champion 2014*

Dobber Sports Ninja

Watched the last Canes game and man that power play is really going to be something.

Staal, Staal, Skinner, Semin and one of Pitkanen/Faulk/Corvo. Semin on the point. It just looked dangerous everytime they were out there.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket