Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Carolina Hurricanes

The Great One

Default Carolina Hurricanes

Hey guys- Im going to take over the Canes thread this year. Like many of the new openings being taken up- Im not a traditional Carolina Hurricanes fan per se, but I do have a soft spot in my heart for them. You see Im from a little town called Thunder Bay (Tea Bag to the locals)- which happens to be home to the NHLs most famous sod farm. Thats right the legendary home of the Staal brothers and it was indeed that legendary cup run in 2006 that re-ignited my passion for the game and subsequent downward spiral into hockey pool addiction! In a funny twist there are a little bit more Carolina fans than youd expect for a city in North Western Ontario so you get a little bit more insight and exposure on a non traditional market, that you might not normally get otherwise.

From a fantasy perspective Carolina has never been a powerhouse- but there have always been a few hidden gems and this year in particular they have some very interesting storylines. Not only has Jordan joined the team- but there is a lot of optimism regarding his ability to take his game to the next level this year now that he is out of the shadow of Malkin and the Kid. Can he do it? Eric struggled through a major scoring drought last year- is he primed to climb back to his place at the top echelon of NHL players? How about Skinner? Are his injuries behind him? Was the sophomore slump just a bump in the road? How will the young guns like Dalpe, Boychuk, Bowman and Faulk develop? On top of that I find that Carolina has a plethora of great "supplementary" type of fantasy players and in this regard Im hoping to shed some of the spotlight on guys like Jokinen, Ruutu, Tlusty, McBain, Pitkanen, et all. Who will step up this year?

This thread will be a great place to monitor these trends and keep an eye out on whats very likely one of the more "skimmed over" franchises in the hockey pool landscape. With so many "fringe" fantasy players scoring trends, line combinations and the like become even more important as they can elevate a player from waiver status to filling out a very important hole on your roster.

Like I said I am not a indisputable authority on the subject but Im going forward with a commitment to learn as much as I can about this team, keep you in the loop and answer any questions you might have. This is an open format so feel free to weigh in, add, critique, criticize, argue, and rant!
    Last edited by Fighting_Emu; July 23, 2012 at 11:31 PM.

The Great One

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...-for-one-year/

Typically I try to avoid the rumor mill- but hey- its the off-season- lol! Opinions are split on Semin but for the record I am (cautiously) a believer in both his scoring talents and his ability to find a career as a bongo player in a moroccan band if this whole hockey thing doesnt work out.

Seriously though I think this would be a great signing- sounds like Eric Staal agrees...

The Great One

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...-for-one-year/

Canes sign Wallace. Not much fantasy relevance here- but the article does point out that he a nice run with tampa after being picked up off waivers- 3g, 5a, 18gp. Seems like a safe bet bottom sixer.

Dobber Sports Pro

Great to see! Look forward to reading your updates and perspective!

BTW, how did you come up with the name Fighting Emu? Always been curious

" You said you don't give a f*ck about hockey. I've never heard anyone say that before."

The Great One

Hey- thanks Ross!

Honestly it was just kind of a dumb thing- lol! I was always a hockey fan but really didnt think much of pooling so when I got asked to join I really didnt think it would stick so I was just kind of thinking of stupid animal names that wouldnt be intimidating at all. I was just putting dumb names into the image search when I found this picture of an emu and it made me laugh- so that was that- Thunder Bay Fighting Emu. Needless to say- it did stick and all these years later the names still there- lol!

I updated it to the mean looking emu in my avatar after I won my first championship- with I might add- a lot of help from posters/members on these boards. For the record I never knew an emu could look so terrifying...

Attached Images Attached Images

The Great One

When I first read the Semin to Carolina rumors I thought it was just more of an indictment on Semins character, especially when Rutherford said "we've all heard the stories about him". At this point though its looking like the interest might be genuine as Carolina might be the front runner in the NHL:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...GlvbnM-;_ylv=3

Of particular note:

"Rutherford reiterated his interest on Friday during the team's FunFest, saying he's spoken with Semin's agent in the past week several times."

Article is saying they would be looking at a short term deal obviously.

Any thoughts on Semin in Carolina?
    Last edited by Fighting_Emu; July 22, 2012 at 12:01 PM.

The Great One

Was Eric Staals slump an anomoly? How does Jordan fit into this picture? What happened with Skinner? Any defensive prospects ready to blow the lid off things next year?

Im sure these are the questions poolies ask when they think of the Carolina hurricanes- so in true emu fashion Im going to completely ignore them and focus on a personal favorite of mine, and a guy you could probably care less about: Jussi Jokinen! Dont worry though- I like to think you'll thank me later.

Why do I care about an inconsistent 50 point veteran anyways? We've all heard the arguments, hes too old, doesnt have any real upside, or I just plain dont know that much about him.

Well lets start at the beginning. The Stars were hoping they hit a homerun when they took Jussi 192nd overall in the 2001 draft. The scouting report was that of a very talented offensive player with some major holes in his defensive game. He stayed in Finland to develop and it was their that Stars noticed a very unique skillset that was trending upwards coming out of the lockout- they had stumbled upon one of the better shootout spe******ts in the known world. They gambled a roster spot on the talented Finn and were rewarded with a phenomenal 9 for 9, shootout record- right out of the gate along, with some solid offensive play. In sheltered minutes he put up some pretty impressive totals for a rookie (55) and managed to avoid a sophomore slump (48) the following year. He was on track for a similar season when fate through a wrench in his proverbial spokes.

Having a chance to land Brad Richards in a marquis deal with the cash strapped lightning- Dallas took the bait and shipped off Jokinen as a key piece in the deal. The affordable contract and offensive flair was enough to sell Tampa and expectations were set fairly high. Jokinen- who had been previously used primarily in an offensive role, was plugged into the gaping hole left by the Richards trade.

It was a disaster.

Suddenly his minutes were less sheltered and he was thrown headfirst into all situations play. He was trying to learn life away from the puck while still being leaned on heavily for offensive contributions. He was shifted from center, to wing, to off wing and back again. He was a distasteful -16 by the end of his first year there, and well on his way there again with an ugly -8 the next season. On top of that he failed to establish chemistry with the topline of Lecavalier/St. Louis and subsequentally failed to carry the load on a pretty barren second line. He didnt shoot enough for a goal scorer and didnt have the elite vision to elevate the players around him. He couldnt score, he couldnt fill a role defensively- he quickly became a percieved detriment to the team. Things came to a grinding halt on February 4th, 2009- when he was placed on waivers. In a total of 66 regular season games with Tampa he had went from one of the NHLs bright up and coming players to an afterthought.

In a crueller world- this would be where the story ends.

Fortunately for Jussi (and poolies), such is not the case. Carolina went on to pick him up a few days later and rewarded with some solid play down the stretch and into the post season. During the playoffs, he went on to score the latest regulation GWG in NHL playoff history. With 0.2 seconds left in the third period, Jokinen and the Carolina Hurricanes defeated the New Jersey Devils 4-3 during game 4 of the Eastern Conference Quarterfinals on April 21, 2009. It was the type of clutch play doubters had often accused him being incapable of. The coaching staff had him out there in the final minute of an elimination game and he rewarded them with a game winning goal- in a decisive contest that saw them take out the heavily favored devils. They didnt go to the finals that year but Jokinens inspired play was a contributing factor when they upset the Bruin in the next round and plowed their way to the conference finals- a place no sane prognosticator would have put them when the post season began.

Notice had been served- he was an NHL pedigree player and had shown his mettle by bouncing back from adversity in a big way. With a renewed commitment to conditioning and all facets of the game he has re-invented himself as an invaluable all situations player that can compliment any line. This last season he averaged 1:17 minutes of SH/TOI and 2:49 on the PP. On top of that he plays all three forward positions. Over the last three seasons he has a 0.7 ppg average good for 58 in a pro-rated season. That number might even be artifically low considering the Hurricanes offensive numbers as a whole were down across the board when Staal held ineffective early on in the season. Hes a proven goal scorer with 30,and 19 tallies the last two seasons respectively. His defensive acumen has improved by leaps and bounds.

So what does that all mean for poolies? It means despite the bad rep Jussi seems to have- hes actually a pretty safe bet to add 55 to 60 points, 20ish goals and contribute on both special teams. His versatility is a blessing and a curse in that he will likely see spot time on the topline but will also be shuffled throughout the lineup as he is needed. The knocks are that he doesnt shoot as much as you'd like for a goal scorer and that last years 54 pims were most likely an anomoly. Theres some injury risk, although this seems to be overstated when you consider that hes only missed 16 games in the last 3 seasons. At 29 hes firmly entrenched in his prime and hes already proven he can score 30 goals in a good year- which likely means there could be a 70 point season in there somewhere. Projections like that are criminally underrated in fantasy pools.

Most importantly though- it means that hes a legitimate top six NHL playerand hes here to stay. Many people admonish him for the shortcomings he had early in his career while failing to realize how far hes come since his days on the waiver wire. Hes a key piece of what looks to be a largely re-vitalized Hurricanes team and hes got the moxy to be a keypiece on your fantasy squad.

So next time you get deeper in your draft and you tick off Jussi Jokinen in the "no upside/washed up/dont know much about him" column- maybe you'll give it a second look and take a chance.

Carolina did- and they couldnt be happier.
    Last edited by Fighting_Emu; July 22, 2012 at 11:35 PM.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

As the new writer you will be happy to know of their huge off season move. The pried former player turned scout away from Florida and got Cory Stillman back in the organization. Okay maybe not a huge move, but he is the type of guy you want working for you.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Hurricanes just agreed to terms with Drayson Bowman (RFA)

Chip Alexander ‏@ice_chip
    Drayson Bowman gets two-year contract. One-way in the second year. Has $600,000 NHL salary.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Hilarious tweet from Gus Katsaros a little while ago...noticing a trend in Carolina

Gus Katsaros ‏@KatsHockey
    #Huricanes Blueline: Joni Joe Jamie Justin Jay Forwards: Jeff Jeremy Jiri Jordan Jussi Justin in goal #alotofJs #420 #wheressnoop
    The players he's referring to:
    Joni (Pitkanen), Joe (Corvo), Jamie (Mcbain), Justin (Faulk), Jay (Harrison)

Jeff (Skinner), Jeremy (Welsh), Jiri (Tlusty), Jordan (Staal), Jussi (Jokinen)

Justin (Peters)

I Lol'd hard when I read that.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Rotoworld has a couple of contract signings listed for the Hurricanes:

Jay Harrison re-upped with the Hurricanes on a three-year deal worth $4.5 million.
    The extension will kick in beginning in the 2013-14 season, as Harrison has a year left at $750,000 this coming year. The 29-year-old set career highs with nine goals and 14 assists last season, and he also was second on the team with 132 blocked shots.
    Zach Boychuk signed a one-year, two-way deal with the Hurricanes.
    The 22-year-old can earn $625,000 in the NHL or $105,000 in the AHL. In 16 games with the Hurricanes last season, he had two assists, and in the AHL, he had 21 goals and 44 points in 64 games.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Love to see CAR land Semin on a reasonable deal...

Jokinen - Staal - Semin
    Ruutu - Staal - Skinner

That's a pretty nice top 6.

The Great One

Thanks very much to Bondon for getting those signing up and so quick.

Just wanted to clarify- Dobber stated that Harrison had regressed down to about 16 minutes of icetime per game from 21 but if you read down the comments further Pengwin seems to have found a glitch in the math. He actually played closer to 20 minutes- which is a decline but of such slight variance that Id say its barely noteworthy. Thanks Pengwin!

Ive followed Boychuk a bit since his days in junior and always had high hopes for him. Hes got a unique skillset- almost looks like a contortionist when he gets in front of the net sometimes. Anyways that contract might indeed be the kiss of death for a once promising prospect. I think hes in tough for time in the top six because as Dyz points out- its actually looking pretty solid this year. Even after Ruutu inevitably goes down with injury you still have Tlusty, Bowman, and Dalpe to compete with. Make or break time.

Might do another player spotlight or two in the next few weeks- anyone stand out on this list- Pitkanen, Ruutu, Tlusty?

Dobber Sports Ninja

No problem man, just trying to pitch in where I can

I'd love to hear your thoughts on Jiri Tlusty out of that list..just because I feel that Pitkanen and Ruutu are pretty transparent with regards to production (decent when not hurt). But for Tlusty, a former 13th overall pick, posted a fantastic season with the Marlies but could never really get it going...suddenly broke out this year on Eric Staal's wing for some decent production.

Oh and one aside would be some insight (if possible, I know this might be tough to find) on why Tuomo Ruutu's hits were so drastically reduced last season. Even two years ago, he had 156 hits but that pro-rated to about 236 over a full 82 which is still fantastic in multi-cat leagues. This year he dropped to a pro-rated 171 after posting 309 in 2010/2011.

Keep up the great work Emu!

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by b0ndon View Post

Oh and one aside would be some insight (if possible, I know this might be tough to find) on why Tuomo Ruutu's hits were so drastically reduced last season. Even two years ago, he had 156 hits but that pro-rated to about 236 over a full 82 which is still fantastic in multi-cat leagues. This year he dropped to a pro-rated 171 after posting 309 in 2010/2011.
    I was having this exact conversation the other day and was told that the statistician in Carolina changed during that time. I have no link to prove this but it seems plausible.