Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Columbus Blue Jackets

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Columbus Blue Jackets

Hi everyone, my name is Seth and I'm happy to take over the writing duties for the Columbus Blue Jackets. I've been a Chicago Blackhawks fan since I was about 8 years old, which admittedly is a little strange for someone who lives in the beautiful state of Oregon. I would like to thank Shakedown and Gates for giving me the opportunity to open this thread.

But this thread is about the Jackets, and the seemingly bright future they have ahead of themselves. Although they've certainly had their fair share of bad fortune (understatement of the century!), things finally seem to be looking up for this beleaguered franchise. They've come a long ways since the days of Bruce Gardiner (rep to the 1st person who knows the significance of that name), Geoff Sanderson, and Ron Tugnutt.

I will be the first to admit I am not a huge Blue Jackets fan, in fact I've always been fairly indifferent to them even though they're in the same division as my favorite team. But I will do my best to provide the relevant news on the team, and maybe we even have a true-blue Jackets fan or two on the boards who can chip in with info.

Although I do prefer to focus on the future of this franchise, I'm sure a certain all-star team captain will come up in discussion here and there. I will provide what insight I can, but there's such a gluttony of speculation out there I'd rather keep this thread clean of that if at all possible.

With an impressive defense core, a new hotshot goalie, and a potential cornerstone center, the Jackets have the basic pieces to turn their fortunes around. Although they're still a few years away from even dreaming of competing, here's to hoping the Columbus Blue Jackets can work their way out of the doldrums and into a Stanley Cup contender!
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Ninja

Awesome!! So, I'll pose the first question.

Where is Rick Nash going?

kidding, glad to see you covering this team man.

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default CBJ - Cam Atkinson

What do you think of Cam Atkinson is terms of cracking the top 6 in the near future and putting up some points?

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by b0ndon View Post
    Awesome!! So, I'll pose the first question.

Where is Rick Nash going?

kidding, glad to see you covering this team man.
    My money is on the reigning Asia League Champion Oji Eagles.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf_the_Red
    What do you think of Cam Atkinson is terms of cracking the top 6 in the near future and putting up some points?
    I'm a big fan of Atkinson, and I could see him landing a top 6 spot as early as game 1 of this season. He showed he can handle the NHL last season and has a real knack for scoring goals. So much depends on what kind or return Howson gets for Rick Nash, as whatever players he gets are going to be force fed prime ice time to show they were worth it. All in all, it won't be long until Atkinson is getting top minutes in Columbus.
    Last edited by Fast Tony DeNiro; July 19, 2012 at 10:30 PM.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Veteran

Hi Seth, thanks for jumping in!

I've got two quick questions for you:

1. Someone just posted another thread about Ryan Murray being close to signing an ELC with the BlueJackets, so I was wondering if he's a lock to make the team right out of the gate, or is there a possibility the Jackets don't feel he's ready yet?

2. Who do you think winds up with the captaincy (if it were to become vacant), and who are the "leadership" guys on the roster?
    CBS 8 team keeper(5-8) - Points only

C: Tavares, Duchesne, Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins
    LW: Parise, Benn, Neal
    RW: Kessel, Giroux, Stewart
    D: Green,Karlson, Carlson, Whitney, Edler, White
    G: Rinne, Lundqvist
    2LW,2C,2RW,4D,1G pts.= G=2, PPG=3, SH=5, A=1, W=3, S=.2, GA=-1, SO=4,

(Tired of watching today's trophys pass you buy? Waiting for a tomorrow that may never come? Why not win NOW? ...Ask about our "Pre-owned vets for prospects" program, and start winning TODAY!)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer Fan View Post

2. Who do you think winds up with the captaincy (if it were to become vacant), and who are the "leadership" guys on the roster?
    my guess: jack johnson...

captain of team USA at the WC's the last 2 years...
    Last edited by 27Blue; July 22, 2012 at 2:41 PM.

The Great One

Kristian Huselius... the juice!!!

Dobber Sports Ninja

I could see RJ Umberger taking over the captaincy...considering he is already one of the alternates and signed through 2016-2017

Prospal would actually be my #1 candidate (he's also an alternate) but he's so old and likely to retire soon IMO.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by InnocentBystander View Post
    my guess: jack johnson...

captain of team USA at the WC's the last 2 years...
    Imho- that would be a mistake. Hes young, new to the team, has already had multiple "attitude" issues cited in the press, and is apparently just plain mean- lol! I think hes got the type of voice/personality to grow into a leadership role- even captaincy but o just hand it to him at this point would be pointless. Also in some sense you would have to wonder if it undermimes the guys who tried to be leaders through the sloggy "hell" of a season they went through last year. Thats got to count for something.

Was totally joking about Huselius. I think Umberger fits the bill and is a natuaral progression as an assistant last year. Prospal probably isnt a BJ for the long haul imo.

I wouldnt be surprised to see Foligono and even Dorsett step into leadership roles this year. Long term you have to think Johansen- unless he has a Brassard-like de-railment.

The Great One

Hi Seth, thanks for jumping in!

I've got two quick questions for you:

1. Someone just posted another thread about Ryan Murray being close to signing an ELC with the BlueJackets, so I was wondering if he's a lock to make the team right out of the gate, or is there a possibility the Jackets don't feel he's ready yet?

As for question 1- I personally think: YES.

Im not even the biggest fan of his upside but he plays a very "mature" game and his NHL readiness was arguably the number one factor contributing to his 2nd overall selection. Its hard to bet on an 18yo defenseman, but Id cautiously say yes on this one.

Banned

i will be very surprised if johnson doesn't wear the "C" next year...

here is a quick slideshow that looks at possible candidates...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...s-blue-jackets

Dobber Sports Wizard

I believe he'll be there, he showed he could handle himself against older competition in the WC. I imagine he'll be sheltered to an extent but I do expect him to be on the opening night roster.

Umberger would probably be the leading candidate for the C. Johnson, Foligno, Prospal, and Dorsett could all wear A's.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by InnocentBystander View Post
    i will be very surprised if johnson doesn't wear the "C" next year...

here is a quick slideshow that looks at possible candidates...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...s-blue-jackets
    I enjoyed the slideshow- honestly- but nothing in their even made it look like was the front runner- nevermind a lock to be captain. I guess you'll be very surpised next season :P

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

No Kreider, no stepan, no more job for howson!! Welcome McKinnon

Dobber Sports Wizard

And it looks to be done....

Anisimov, Dubinsky, Erixon, and a 1st rd pick to CBJ for Rick Nash.

First thoughts are it's pretty low considering what Howson was reportedly looking for originally. No Stepan, Kreider, or Del Zotto. All in all though, it's not a bad return for a player that wanted no part of Ohio anymore.

Fantasy-wise, I like this move for Anisimov, he'll find his way into the top 6. He has some consistency issues but with more of an opportunity I wonder if those will go away. Dubinsky brings good leadership to a team sorely lacking in that category, and he'll bring some scoring to the middle 6.

Erixon adds to the Jackets defense core. I don't know what Columbus is going to do with all of those players as they now run about 15 deep with defensemen capable of playing in the NHL. But in terms of value and talent, Erixon is one of the better defense prospects around and getting him might push Ryan Murray back to junior for a year.