Page 52 of 102 FirstFirst ... 2 42 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 62 ... LastLast

Thread: Dallas Stars

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: Dallas Stars

Even when you feel you have nothing to say I find your posts interesting and useful, for instance the reference to Eaves being injured and JK filling in. I know i sound like a broken record but a coach who incessantly changes lines again reminds me of the problem the Sens have with their coach. I'm hoping the Sens dangle Anderson and Methot to a team with cap space for a #1 2015 draft pick. Can't see our guys making playoffs, time to rebuild.
    Non-keeper 11-team auction league with 5 active forwards, two D. Points only (G=1, A=1)

The world does not judge actions on their own merit, but on their chance results, and they consider that only those actions which are blessed with a happy outcome have been undertaken with sound advice and reason
    -- Boethius

Dobber Sports Wizard

Couple of items, Jussi Rynnas is the new back up in the shooting gallery that is the Stars crease. Curtis McKenzie is back again as an injury replacement for Patrick Eaves. Man that dude is getting some serious travel time in, but this time he can join the Stars without racking up a bunch of miles on his car.

Mike Heika on the trials of being a fan....

http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/2014...ways-fun.html/

And Razor with his latest vlog...

http://video.stars.nhl.com/videocent...689344&lang=en

Dobber Sports Wizard

Mike Heika is reporting that Patrick Eaves is out for at least 4-6 weeks with a broken bone(ankle I believe) suffered when he got nailed with a shot by a teammate last night. That's best case scenario and worst case could be as long as three months. In and of itself there's not a lot of fantasy impact with Eaves. It is of more import for owners with farm systems who have Curtis McKenzie. With that scenario it's likely McKenzie is up for the duration of Eaves' stay on IR. Depending on how much rotating Ruff does with Curtis and Colton Sceviour, McKenzie will be racking up games played which will impact fantasy owners in dynasty leagues.

Personally speaking, I'd love to see McKenzie get a long string of game action. He has more potential then Sceviour, but he needs the playing time to keep developing. That was why he was sent back to Cedar Park the last time, so you would like to think since Nill wanted him to see more ice time maybe he'll get in Dallas now instead. I've never been a big fan of Sceviour as an NHL'er, he's pretty much a career AHL type. McKenzie is far from a lock as an NHL'er but he has a much higher probability of it than does Colton. I'd say give McKenzie a baptism by fire and see where it goes. As he got more time earlier he was beginning to show some flashes of potential. He plays a bit similar to Roussel so maybe give him that slot with Eakin and let Roussel move back up with Spezza. They seemed to be gaining some traction together for the short run they had.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Welcome to the jungle Jussi Rynnas. Looks like he's getting the nod over Kari against the Wings. Well this ought to be interesting, but it can't get much worse......can it?

The projected lineup form Mark Stepneski...

Benn - Seguin - Hemsky
    Cole - Spezza - Sceviour
    Roussel - Eakin - Garbutt
    Horcoff - Fiddler - Moen

Here's where it gets....interesting

Goligoski - Daley
    Benn - Demers
    Jokipakka - Klingberg

Yes, let's put our best defenseman on the third pairing and allow Benn and Daley to continue stinking up the top 4.....

makes sense.....

to someone.....

I guess.....

Dobber Sports Padawan

So did Ruff deliberately wait until i basically gave Hemsky away (it didn't seem so at the time but the guy i picked up has done SFA) to put him on the top line? Sometimes fantasy sports is really fun BUT SOMETIMES IT PISSES ME OFF!!!!
    Non-keeper 11-team auction league with 5 active forwards, two D. Points only (G=1, A=1)

The world does not judge actions on their own merit, but on their chance results, and they consider that only those actions which are blessed with a happy outcome have been undertaken with sound advice and reason
    -- Boethius

Dobber Sports Wizard

Mike Heika's piece on Jussi Rynnas....

http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/2014...ed-wings.html/

In that article he mentioned the lines Ruff used in warmups this morning...

Benn - Seguin - Horcoff
    Sceviour - Spezza - Hemsky
    Roussel - Eakin - Cole
    Moen - Fiddler - Garbutt

Umm....yeah. As Mike stated these were for warmups, but I will echo his sentiment, why? With all the issues the Stars have at the moment how does this do anything to address them? I'm not sure what that is supposed to accomplish. Last week or the week before at one practice he allowed the players to assemble their own lines. Now is it any wonder they have a lack of consistency? Your team has allowed 15 goals in the last three games, and 87 shots on goal in the last two Lindy. Maybe it's time to get deadly serious here while there is still time to salvage something, and not engage in fluff like this. Yeah, yeah I get it, keep things light, relaxed. Things have been light and relaxed a bit too long maybe.

I don't like being so negative all the time so here's a humorous bit. Jussi Rynnas' last name isn't pronounced how it looks (RIH-nus), instead it's (ROO-nuhs). Here's Mark Stepneski's description of what happened when he mentioned this to Lindy....

@ErinB_DBD @Jwalsh25 @MikeHeika I used "ROO-nuhs" and Lindy looked at me like I was on my 12th beer.
    Ok so it isn't exactly Monty Python quality material, but it still made me laugh. And don't we all need to laugh to keep from crying at the moment? Luckily I'll be at work while the game is on, so while I'll tape it, I can flush it into the ether if it all goes sideways.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by larrylintz View Post
    So did Ruff deliberately wait until i basically gave Hemsky away (it didn't seem so at the time but the guy i picked up has done SFA) to put him on the top line? Sometimes fantasy sports is really fun BUT SOMETIMES IT PISSES ME OFF!!!!
    I don't know what he was thinking. The whole time Hemsky was struggling he kept bouncing him around the lineup looking for a line that he could click with.....all except Benn and Sequin. Gee, only took him 23 games to think that maybe this might just work.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by NoWayOut View Post
    so while I'll tape it, I can flush it into the ether if it all goes sideways.
    Something tells me against a team like Detroit this could be very ugly for you guys. Having said that, I remember around this time last year Spezza's Sens dominated the Blues i think 6-0 and made us think this team was about to turn it around. Big tease.

-- Boethius

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by larrylintz View Post
    Something tells me against a team like Detroit this could be very ugly for you guys. Having said that, I remember around this time last year Spezza's Sens dominated the Blues i think 6-0 and made us think this team was about to turn it around. Big tease.
    I'm not getting my hopes up, but in a sport that plays as many games as the NHL does there's always those little surprises, so there is that to hang our hats on. On the downside, a perfect example, Detroit getting beaten by Florida. The Wings were down 4-1 at one point before rallying to make it close. That ought to serve as motivation for Babcock's crew to come out strong right off the jump. On our side it's just down to hoping pride kicks in at some point and they get tired of being humiliated night after night and they at least start figuring some of these little things out and start playing better. I'd over the moon with a competitive loss where we didn't continually shoot ourselves in the foot.

Dobber Sports Wizard

I suppose in a way we should congratulate the Stars on their new found consistency.....no freaking way. I never would have thought it possible for us to be this bad. At what point does pride take over? Here's hoping that tonight will be that night. Maybe I read too much into it, but the fact that the Habs are 1-4-1 in their last six and don't feel any need to put Price out there again tonight to ensure that they right the ship should effing piss the Stars off. I mean that's fighting words in figurative sense. That's giving Dallas the pimp hand, not that they haven't earned the treatment with their play. This should be one of those moments where you take it as a personal affront and respond accordingly and hammer the puck, your fists, and anything else you can, down their smug throats. I'm not hating on the Habs, but that's the way the Stars need to think of this. Let these moments, these real or perceived insults fire you up. Play pissed off because not much else is working so maybe you find a new way. I mean hell the league's laughing their ass off at our expense so don't take it anymore.

Anyway, moving on....

In spite of having found some life to his offensive game, 6 points in the last 10, Ales Hemsky is looking like a healthy scratch tonight. According to Mike Heika it's a real possibility but Ruff is neither confirming nor denying it. Here's the projected lineup from Mike...

Benn - Seguin - Sceviour
    McKenzie - Spezza - Cole
    Roussel - Eakin - Garbutt
    Horcoff - Fiddler - Moen

Goligoski - Daley
    Benn - Demers
    Oleksiak - Klingberg

Lehtonen

Ah, still with the dynamic dunces in the top 4 while Klingberg is relegated to the bottom pairing. I like the combo of Klingberg with Oleksiak/Jokipakka but I think you've got to get him on the ice in a bigger role. Heck I'd take the brain fart version of Oleksiak over either Daley or Jordie in the top 4. The Big Rig still has the potential to be a good D, a mini-Z of sorts, but he needs to get ice time to work through the rough spots in his game. Jokipakka should also be a solid two-way D as he grows into his game. He'll be that quietly efficient puck-mover that while he doesn't wow you with any one aspect of his game he also doesn't hurt you in those areas either. All three, Klinger, Oleksiak, and Jokipakka still have lots of room for growth and are far for reaching their full potential but they should be a part of the future on D for Dallas. Oleksiak is probably the biggest wild card of the three and still has a whiff of boom or bust about him. But if this crappy play keeps up and the season truly slips away push his ice time up and see what happens.

What can it hurt? If the season really hits the crapper we get a better draft pick on a team that really only needs to improve their defense to league average to be a playoff contender. Let the veteran dead-weight with expiring contracts walk, Cole, Horcoff, Jo. Benn, bring in some free agents to give you the secondary scoring your lacking still. Look at the situation with your goalies and ask is it Kari and the backups, or is it Mike Valley's coaching, or both? Address those areas above and get Kari back to being Kari and this team really isn't that far off from making some noise. The Stars need help on the RW depth wise, so if Pevs is done, which given the lack of updates it makes you wonder, then why not give Brett Ritchie a go. Maybe bring him up at some point after the New Year and give him a shot.

All that there was just some random thoughts I've been pondering over. Funny how I got that little ramble out of bitching about Klinger on third pairing.

Dobber Sports Wizard

You know that whole diatribe I launched into about how the Stars should feel insulted by facing the backup Tokarski....ahhh yeah...
    .umm....just pretend I didn't type that. Price is starting. I saw an erroneous report that Tokarski was going to start.

I still stand by the sentiment that pride should kick in here and that Dallas needs to play pissed off.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Eakin's line really set the tone to start. Came out with loads of energy and Garbutt in particular brought the pissed off element. He was nailing anything in white that moved. Also Eakin getting the power play goal with the first unit. That's what they need more of on the power play, don't worry about finding the perfect shot. Get the puck on net, have somebody in front for the rebound and put home. Of note, Goli not Klingberg out there with the first unit. And through two power plays not a single second of ice time for Klinger. Only the first period so hopefully that changes, but take note.

Loved the way the Stars got the puck deep and kept it there against Price. The Habs did break up a lot of centering passes and shots, but the Stars kept the pressure on by keeping the puck in.

Can't say much about Kari since he only faced four shots, and the most dangerous chance was the shorty breakaway, but then again it was Malhotra with the puck so not the scariest situation.

Still need to work on getting loose pucks. Lots of standing around waiting for the puck to slowly drift to them instead of going and getting it. Same old story though, the opponents are aggressive on getting those pucks, the Stars not so much.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Tell you what, this friendly fire stuff is getting scary. Sceviour got hit just now, Daley took one off the ankle, and Sequin has gotten nailed three or four times.

Also third power play and still no Klingberg. Daley, Goli, and Demers have all the ice time on D so far. Only the first power play looked good so hopefully Ruff gets his head out of his ass and gets Klingberg back in there.

Dobber Sports Wizard

It's official, Klingberg must have backed into Lindy's car in the parking lot or killed his dog, something, because he can't buy a second of power play time or much of anything minutes wise at even strength. Wow. Never mind that he's looked good, the best Stars D-man out there, but Ruff is going all out to make sure Klingberg doesn't see the ice anymore than he can help.

On the plus side, Tyler Sequin and Jamie Benn are killing it. Sequin with two goals and an assist, Benn with two helpers.

Now it's all down to the final stanza.....hold me....I'm scared.

If they can overcome the demons this will be easily their best game of the season.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Ruh-roh. The bad Stars have come out to play in the third so far.