Page 5 of 102 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 15 55 ... LastLast

Thread: Dallas Stars

Dobber Sports Wizard

Mark Stepneski's notes on today's morning skate....

http://starsinsideedge.com/2013/01/1...rs-vs-coyotes/
    Your beer mug isn't half-empty, your just half-way to the next refill.....

Dobber Sports Wizard

Another example of why the man is a legend. Four points for Jagr, and a win for the Stars.

Before I delve in, I want to say that these first few game recaps are going to be fairly simple affairs. I have to retrain myself to look at, and for, things I never did before when I watch a game. In the past I watched the game in a fairly laid back, casual way. I caught myself defaulting back to that several times tonight, but it should be a quick fix.

Ok, let's look at the game tonight. I liked the energy the Stars came out with. There were some rough edges, but with only a one week camp and no exhibition games, that was to be expected.

In spite of the 2 PP goals, I thought the PK looked good. They had to kill five penalties in the space of eight minutes, on two of those occasions they took another penalty less than 20 seconds after they either killed one or were scored on. They did get it together and killed off that fifth penalty, but the damage had been done on the scoreboard, down 2-1. Like I said, aside from the two PK where they were obviously gassed and got scored on the PK looked good. That was just a hell of a tough spot to put any PK unit in.

Another positive was the PP, 2-for-4. The top PP unit, which was Morrow, Whitney, Jagr, Goli, and Robidas, potted both goals. I know it's just one game, but signs of life, right?

Overall I thought they played with a good rhythm for having such a short time and no exhibition games together. The forecheck was in the Yotes face all night and setup at least two of the four goals. The D can still use some work, Jordie Benn's turnover which led to the Vrbata goal was just ugly, but I thought they did alright on the whole. We'll know more as the next few games go by and they start to gel, and hopefully get Benn the Younger, back in the fold.

A solid effort all around and the season kicks off with 2 points in the bank.

The Wolverine

Yeah liking the start by Robidas - have him on all of my teams so hopefully that PP can continue to be successful throughout the season. As in recent years, he's not shooting though (ok it's one game but perhaps a trend). Do you think that could change or is he primarily a setup guy these days?
    Last edited by horrorfan; January 20, 2013 at 4:38 AM.

Dobber Sports Icon

Question

Quote Originally Posted by InnocentBystander View Post
    Dallas Stars Top 10 Prospects - Hockey Prospectus

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/arti...articleid=1363

1. Radek Faksa, Center
    2. Reilly Smith, Right Wing
    3. Ludvig Bystrom, Defense
    4. Alex Chiasson, Right Wing
    5. Matt Fraser, Left Wing
    6. Jamieson Oleksiak, Defense
    7. Matej Stransky, Right Wing
    8. Scott Glennie, Right Wing
    9. Brenden Dillon, Defense
    10.Patrik Nemeth, Defense
    Curious about your take on Chiasson - his numbers this year haven't been very encouraging. Next year could you see him being anywhere near the NHL (if ever - and I would assume any time up this season is a pipe dream)?
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Yeah liking the start by Robidas - have him on all of my teams so hopefully that PP can continue to be successful throughout the season. As in recent years, he's not shooting though (ok it's one game but perhaps a trend). Do you think that could change or is he primarily a setup guy these days?
    I see him being more of a setup guy, with Goli being in the shooter role. If he plays the full 48, I would look for around 55 shots from him. I think we'll have a better read on how much they're going to let him fire away over the next couple of games though.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post
    Curious about your take on Chiasson - his numbers this year haven't been very encouraging. Next year could you see him being anywhere near the NHL (if ever - and I would assume any time up this season is a pipe dream)?
    His numbers are a little off, but it's nothing to get too worried about yet. I think the lockout and resulting NHL players down in the AHL kind of skewed things a bit. The last two nights he's put up 3G 2A, though he's only been even on +/- for those two games.

If he can finish out the season strong I do see him getting a look in camp next season. I see him making it to the big club at some point, but the remainder of this season will tell a more complete story as to whether it's next year or 2014. Now's his time to show what he can do.

As far as this season, yeah I don't see it happening unless there's a rash of injuries, knock on wood.

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by NoWayOut View Post
    I see him being more of a setup guy, with Goli being in the shooter role. If he plays the full 48, I would look for around 55 shots from him. I think we'll have a better read on how much they're going to let him fire away over the next couple of games though.
    Cool - thanks. Yeah the next week or so should give us a better indication on how he'll produce across the board. Point-wise, assuming he's still given plenty of PP opportunity (we'll see what happens when Benn returns) I'd be quite happy if he could get another 20 points for the rest of the season (22 in 48 - 37 over a full season). Time will tell.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Cool - thanks. Yeah the next week or so should give us a better indication on how he'll produce across the board. Point-wise, assuming he's still given plenty of PP opportunity (we'll see what happens when Benn returns) I'd be quite happy if he could get another 20 points for the rest of the season (22 in 48 - 37 over a full season). Time will tell.
    I'd say 20 is possible but maybe the high end. He's only had a 30+ pace twice in his career, albeit not that far back, but I'd expect closer to 15 the rest of the way.

The Wolverine

I'd say 20 is possible but maybe the high end. He's only had a 30+ pace twice in his career, albeit not that far back, but I'd expect closer to 15 the rest of the way.
    Yeah that's my optimistic projection given ample PP time. Three years ago he had 41 points with top PP time so I thought I'd drop that down a peg. But even 15 the rest of the way (17/48 or 29 over a full season) is not too bad. PP time is key - I don't see why he can't get back to 35ish pace with that opportunity. However, you know more than I do.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Mike Heika is reporting that Nihlstorp will be making his NHL debut tonight against the Wild. Sounds like a baptism by fire.

Also from Heika, Reilly Smith is flying in today to catch up with the team. Had some dental work done after taking a puck in the mouth last night. No word yet whether it will keep him out. Colton Sceviour would likely be his replacement if he's unable to go.

First chance to see if they can address the back-to-back demons that haunted them last season.

Dobber Sports Guru

Mike Heika is reporting that Nihlstorp will be making his NHL debut tonight against the Wild. Sounds like a baptism by fire.
    I had enough faith in Nihlstorp to insert him in as my active goalie in UHL today. Let's see how he does in his NHL-debut.
    UHL Pittsburgh Penguins

24 Team Fantrax Salary Cap H2H Dynasty League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    , Hits, Blks, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO
    23 Man Roster - 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3F, 6D, 1G, 4BN, 4IR
    27 Man Minor Team

C-
    Tavares, Stepan, Granlund, Bjugstad, Couturier
    LW- Ryan, Perron, Ennis, Killorn, Spaling
    RW-
    Wheeler, Simmonds, Coyle, Wingels, Shaw
    D-
    JJ, Schultz, Cowen, Muzzin, Bortuzzo, Stanton
    G- Lehtonen, Rämö

F: Lehterä, Wennberg,
    McNeill, de la Rose, Fast, Leivo, Arnold, Archibald, Lindström
    D: Gelinas, Beaulieu, Koekkoek, McCabe, Johns, Gryba
    G: Berra, Talbot, Brossoit, Ullmark, Lieuwen, Rynnäs

*UHL Champion 2014*

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Carcillo View Post
    I had enough faith in Nihlstorp to insert him in as my active goalie in UHL today. Let's see how he does in his NHL-debut.
    All eyes are on him as I don't think the backup role is 100% settled yet. I think the long layoff hurt really hurt Bachman. On the flip Nihlstorp benefited big time from all the playing time with the Texas Stars. He got a chance to experience the North American style in an talent enhanced AHL which was a huge boost and came straight from that into camp.

The next two to three weeks are a little more important for both of them then they would be under normal circumstances.

Dobber Sports Ace

Dear Stars and Jamie Benn...let's get this thing settled for goodness sake and get Benn on the ice!
    Champion: 2010, 2014, 2015, 2016
    12 Team Keeper League - 12F, 6D, 3G, 3 Bench (Keep 6, in Bold)
    $250 Cap (0-9 +3; 10-19 +4; >20 +5 each season)
    WW = $10

G, A, +/-, PPG, PPA, GWG, SHG, W, GAA, SV%, SO - Points Based League

F: Guentzel (15), Point (11), Barzal (18), WNylander (15), Trochek (1), Eberle (1), Domi (4), Toffoli (1), TBertuzzi (1), Buchnevich (1), Tuch (1), Puljujarvi (1)

D: Theodore (17), Heiskanen (15), Pulock (7), Sanheim (1), Faulk (1), Morrissey (1)

G: Markstrom (7), Saros (15), Binnington (39), Jarry (40)

B: DeSmith (1), Lindblom (1)

IR or Out: Ghost (1), OEL (9), Teravainen (28), PMyers (1)

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Front89 View Post
    Dear Stars and Jamie Benn...let's get this thing settled for goodness sake and get Benn on the ice!
    Ain't that the damn truth!

Got a chance to sit down this morning and watch the game. Not a whole lot of positives to take away, aside from Nihlstorp's play that is.

All night long the Wild looked like they had another gear. The fatigue and not being fully in game shape showed on the Stars right off the jump. That will obviously change, but it played big role tonight.

Another area where the Stars struggled was passing. They just couldn't get the puck out of their own end and through the neutral zone cleanly at all. And they had some issues with misfiring on centering and cross-ice passes in the attacking zone too.

The Wild did a good job of taking away the shooting lanes, and the Stars seemed content to just keep firing the puck right into that wall. As I said their passing wasn't crisp, but they needed to work it around more than they did instead of one-pass, two-pass, shoot.

Benn's absence is showing as the Eriksson-Roy-Jagr line is the only one to really generate chances so far in both games. And at that, that line was held down pretty well by the Wild. Hopefully they can get him signed soon and back out there, so Roy can slide down and try to jump start the 2nd line.

It wasn't all bad, Nihlstorp came up big in his debut stopping 31 of 32 shots. He kept them in it right to the end in spite of being the human equivalent of a duck in shooting gallery at times.

Unfortunately the first back-to-back of the season ended in the same refrain as last season, a loss. But it's only one and, unlike too many of the second games of back-to-backs last season, at least they didn't get blown out. It could have turned out that way, but it didn't, so hopefully they can find some things to build off of from this one and step it up on the next one.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Good article from the mind of Mike Heika....

http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/2013...ay-night.html/