Page 4 of 102 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 54 ... LastLast

Thread: Dallas Stars

The Wolverine

Not sure if you've touched on this before, but with Souray gone do you like Robidas as a sleeper for half decent production, say back to 30+ points and increased PP time?

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by InnocentBystander View Post
    so what to you think happens when benn signs. do the wings stay the same, but with benn just bumping all of the centers down a line?

eriksson - benn - jagr

whitney - roy - ryder
    That's pretty much how I see it. That's their best lineup to start with, but I could see Reilly Smith at some point bumping Ryder down. Ryder is so inconsistent and Smith was playing good down in the "A", so I wouldn't be shocked down the road to see him lined up alongside of Roy.

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Not sure if you've touched on this before, but with Souray gone do you like Robidas as a sleeper for half decent production, say back to 30+ points and increased PP time?
    I do see him getting more PP time, unless they decide to roll with 4 wings and a D on PP1. It's certainly a possibility they go 4W-1D with the Jagr and Whitney signings which would keep Robidas down on PP2. Until I hear confirmation they're going that way I'm thinking he gets more PP time. He could flirt with a 30+ pace, but I do think 30 pro-rated is probably his tops. A lot depends on if he is first pairing with Goli or not.
    Your beer mug isn't half-empty, your just half-way to the next refill.....

Dobber Sports Wizard

Hot and fresh off the wire here is the first look at the PP units from camp....

Mark Stepneski ‏@StarsInsideEdge
    Power play units today: Morrow-Roy-Jagr-Goligoski-Robidas &
    Eriksson-Whitney-Ryder-Daley-Larsen
    The forwards lines and defensive pairings remained the same as yesterday. Glen Gulutzan did say after yesterdays workout that all lines and pairings are written in pencil, but that's not exactly a revelation.

Most notable to me when looking at the opening PP units are Morrow on PP1 and Eriksson on PP2. As somebody who's invested heavily in Morrow as a bounceback candidate that's awesome news. As a realist though, I doubt that carries over to the regular season, I would expect that spot is going to be Loui's.

Once Benn signs and things get rolling here's what I'm thinking those PP units look like...

PP1: Eriksson-Benn-Jagr-Goli-Robidas
    PP2: Whitney-Roy-Ryder-Daley-Larsen

A couple of things to watch here. I think Ryder's hold on a spot on the PP is tenuous at best. I can see either Morrow or, if he sticks with the team out of camp, Reilly Smith taking that spot. Also I would keep an eye on that second unit if Larsen or Daley struggles there, I could see them move Robidas down to that unit and bring a forward up(Whitney), to fill his slot. Still early in camp so a lot can change yet.

Also as I typed this I stopped for a second to check my twitter feed and seen news that the Stars have traded Mark Fistric to Edmonton for a third round pick. Really opens the doors for the kids up from Austin to earn a spot with the big club.

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by NoWayOut View Post
    I do see him getting more PP time, unless they decide to roll with 4 wings and a D on PP1. It's certainly a possibility they go 4W-1D with the Jagr and Whitney signings which would keep Robidas down on PP2. Until I hear confirmation they're going that way I'm thinking he gets more PP time. He could flirt with a 30+ pace, but I do think 30 pro-rated is probably his tops. A lot depends on if he is first pairing with Goli or not.
    Thanks man.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Here's Joe Nieuwendyk's comments regarding the Fistric trade courtesy of Stars Inside Edge and Mark Stepneski....

“As you know, these are never easy decisions, but I feel comfortable where are kids are at and it’s not just the two (Jordie Benn and Brenden Dillon) we have here in camp. I think there’s (Jamie) Oleksiak and (Patrik) Nemeth, too. That factors into it. These two (Benn and Dillon) in particular have been playing 22-24 minutes a night, are in game shape and ready to go. You always try to analyze when the best time is to transition your kids in, and I think this is a real good time because the league has been shut down and these kids have been playing. That factored into it. And the fact that we have Aaron Rome now, who plays a similar brash style.”

Dobber Sports Icon

Looks like the Stars have hired some familiar names in Marty Turco, Mark Recchi and Mike Modano.

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/1/1...o-dallas-stars
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Guru

hmmm if this sticks it bumps Goligoski down a bit

via twitter:

Mike Heika ‏@MikeHeika
    Second unit has Eriksson, Fiddler and Ryder up front with Goligoski and Daley. Fiddler there for face offs and net presence. Face offs key.

Mike Heika ‏@MikeHeika
    Curt Fraser running PP practice. First unit has Whitney, Morrow, Jagr with Roy and Robidas at points. They need Roy for face offs.

Banned

other than the fact that it is pre-season, it is so hard to say what will happen in dallas without benn there yet.
    i assumed benn would play with eriksson, but bob mackenzie said yesterday that the plan was for benn to center jagr and ryder, while roy would center whitney and eriksson... time will tell.

Dobber Sports Guru

other than the fact that it is pre-season, it is so hard to say what will happen in dallas without benn there yet.
    i assumed benn would play with eriksson, but bob mackenzie said yesterday that the plan was for benn to center jagr and ryder, while roy would center whitney and eriksson... time will tell.
    Ya good point, you are right the addition of benn into the mix could switch everything around.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Sorry for the lack of updates yesterday. Got all wrapped up in working on my fantasy teams, including one marathon trade negotiating session.

It's so hard to really pin down the Benn situation, as both sides have stayed true to their word that they would keep this whole negotiation out of the media. It is a sign that they weren't as close as we, or at least I, thought since we are now MOU + 4 and nothing. I am still thinking a deal will be in place before Saturday, but who really knows at this point. I guess you can say since they have stayed quiet, if they're still far apart, it hasn't gotten so contentious that they feel the need to break silence and lash out in the media. That portends well for still being able to get a deal done before the season starts. So much will change once he's signed, but for now we wait.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by wendelclark17 View Post
    hmmm if this sticks it bumps Goligoski down a bit

via twitter:
    One thing to keep in mind here, as has been reported through several sources, the move of Goli down to PP2 was due in part to Larsen being on the shelf today with an elbow injury. Now on the other hand it is worth noting that it was him and not Robidas that was moved down there. Glen Gulutzan has been experimenting a fair bit so I wouldn't read to much in just yet.

Robidas so far appears to be headed for a bit of a boost in value if things keep trending this way as he has been consistently on PP1. Morrow as well has seen a good deal of first unit time.

I've said it before, I think poolies are too quick to throw the dirt over Morrow. He still has tread on the tires and could be a great sleeper pick as he has been available late in every one of my one year leagues. Even more so if your league counts hits and PIM, as in an injury shortened season he still racked up 130 hits in 97 PIM in 57 games. Throw in the fact that he still has 50pt upside, if you haven't gotten him go see if you can. I've taken him in all three of my one year leagues, a 14, 16, and 20 team league, and got him at 188th overall in one and 226 and 232 in the others. Injuries held him back last year and if he's fully healed could be great value. Not expecting him to set the world on fire, but he's still got enough game to produce well above those draft slots.

In other news it's been reported by Mark Stepneski that Brett Ritchie and Radek Faksa have both been sent back to their junior teams. I must confess I'm just a little surprised Faksa didn't get a little longer look, but not shocked. The extra experience and seasoning will only be to his and the Stars benefit later.

Also here's a good read from Defending Big D regarding the roster spot battles as camp enters the final days.

Dobber Sports Wizard

You know something, **** the NHL and these short seasons.

Let me re-state, or better yet let's call it clarify, something. Brenden Morrow will not score 50pts in a 48 game season. I do believe however that he can produce at 50pt pro-rated pace. The way I worded that comment in my previous post could be misconstrued as saying he has the upside to score 50pts this season. Yeah.....that's obviously not going to happen. Stars fans and Morrow owners would definitely welcome it, but don't hold your breath. In a full season I'd put all my chips in the center of the table on it.

How in the name of all that's holy do you retrain your mind to think in terms of 48 games instead of 82 Dobber? I can't even do that with one player let alone the whole pool. Hats off to you guys.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Jan. 18, 2013 - Nihlstorp projects as Stars number two goalie

It looks like Christopher Nihlstorp will start the season as the Dallas Stars' backup goaltender. The Dallas Stars have already demoted Richard Bachman, so that leaves Nihlstorp to fill the role of Kari Lehtonen's understudy. Nihlstorp had a 2.13 GAA and .916 save percentage in 28 AHL games during the lockout. The 28-year-old rookie might end up getting a decent amount of playing time given the condensed schedule and Lehtonen's injury history.

Dobber Sports Wizard

I have to say I was a little surprised at Nihlstorp getting the #2 job over Bachman, but at the same time not really all that surprised. The Stars said all along heading into camp they wanted competition for the spot, and obviously they feel Nihlstorp's best was better than Bachman's. One thing that likely factored heavily into this is the fact that Nihlstorp has been playing all season for the Texas Stars, whereas Bachman hasn't played since April. This could be nothing more than the Stars sending Bachman down to Austin to get a few games in and get back into game shape and then they re-evaluate things between the two. Definitely something to watch over the next couple of weeks.

Few other notes here. Brenden Morrow had a collision with Philip Larsen during practice. By all accounts it looked ugly at first, but the latest news is it wasn't as bad as first feared and Brenden will be good to go for the opener. Good to see the captain is ready to go.

The forward lines will be the same to start the season as they were to open camp....

Eriksson - Roy - Jagr
    Whitney - Wandell - Ryder
    Morrow - Fiddler - Nystrom
    Garbutt - Eakin - Smith

Defensive pairings are a bit in flux at the moment with news that Aaron Rome is questionable for tomorrow night.

For more here's a link to Mike Heika's latest article.....

http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/2013...-phoenix.html/

And with that.....Game On!!!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Colton Sceviour and Antoine Roussel appear to have made the team.
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."