Page 3 of 102 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 13 53 ... LastLast

Thread: Dallas Stars

Dobber Sports Wizard

Here's an article about 7th round pick Dmitry Sinitsyn. As the article's title suggests he is an intriguing prospect and one the Stars were already familiar with. He played on the Stars Elite U16 team before visa issues sent him back to Russia.

The article paints an even more interesting picture as he doesn't fit the classic Russian hockey player mold that we've come to expect. Sounds like he has a good group helping him transition to life over here as well as the game itself. Time will tell if he pans out, but if he does, GM Joe and the team may have struck late round gold.

http://stars.nhl.com/club/news.htm?i...id=DL|DAL|home

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Pengwin is non-twitter, non-Facebook.
    I'm ancient.
    Me too, but it's more a matter of being sane than being ancient.

RETIRED

Banned

Dallas Stars Top 10 Prospects - Hockey Prospectus

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/arti...articleid=1363

1. Radek Faksa, Center
    2. Reilly Smith, Right Wing
    3. Ludvig Bystrom, Defense
    4. Alex Chiasson, Right Wing
    5. Matt Fraser, Left Wing
    6. Jamieson Oleksiak, Defense
    7. Matej Stransky, Right Wing
    8. Scott Glennie, Right Wing
    9. Brenden Dillon, Defense
    10.Patrik Nemeth, Defense

Dobber Sports Wizard

Sorry for the lack of updates recently guys. With the start of the CHL and AHL seasons approaching the updates will be more frequent. And hopefully we won't be waiting long to talk about our NHL Stars. On to business...

First up is the big news of the day, the Kari Lehtonen re-signing. Overall a good move, and a decent deal, on the team's part. Even with his injury history Lehtonen is still among the best in the league. On the surface you kind of want to nit-pick the money with that injury history in mind, but the market drove that price, and it's not absolutely horrible. The price of doing business in the current market.

When you look at the length of the contract you can see the Stars don't appear to be in any rush to bring Campbell up. And really there's no need for them to be. If Bachman can repeat last year there's no rush as Lehtonen will be capably backed-up. Let Campbell continue to marinate in Austin and develop properly without being rushed up.

An interesting tidbit in the terms of the deal was pointed out by Mike Heika in this article. Lehtonen has the standard NTC for the first two years, and a limited NTC for the remaining three. The limited NTC portion fits nicely as to the most likely timeline for Campbell to ascend to Big D. As that limited NTC kicks in it does give the team the flexibility to move Lehtonen once Campbell proves ready for the show.

The last bit I have for today is a list from Defending Big D detailing the players being assigned to the "A" and juniors. Nothing earth-shattering in there, but if nothing else we now know where the top prospects will be headed for the next little while so we can entertain ourselves by keeping a close watch on them.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Also I forgot to add, be looking for an expanded version of my article from the roto guide in the next week or so. I really wanted to add a lot more, but didn't want to saddle Gates with having to edit a freaking novel length piece to fit the guide.

Dobber Sports Stud

Gents - any thoughts on how the Dallas PP might fare this year? They were pretty anemic last year, however, with the changes in the line up I'm curious to see what people think will happen. Minor improvement, major improvement?

Cheers.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Chili con Carne View Post
    Gents - any thoughts on how the Dallas PP might fare this year? They were pretty anemic last year, however, with the changes in the line up I'm curious to see what people think will happen. Minor improvement, major improvement?

Cheers.

I think it's reasonable to expect at least a modest improvement. Obviously things really can't go anywhere but up. When your top point getter on the man advantage(Loui Eriksson) only racked twelve points the man advantage was certainly no advantage.

The additions of Jagr, Whitney, and Roy will provide some much needed oomph. I think of the pair of Whitney and Jagr, Whitney will be the bigger force. Aside from providing offensive punch, which I believe they both still have, they can be very valuable assets in terms or mentoring guys like Benn, Larsen, and Eakin. I do wonder how much PP time Eakin would get, but even if he doesn't get a ton, anything he can learn from those guys and use when he gets opportunities can only help the team as a whole. Same goes for an other youngsters that get some time to learn from them.

Derek Roy should provide even more given he's in his prime and should hopefully be fully mended from the off-season shoulder surgery. From the '07-'08 season through '09-'10 he put up 23, 30, and 25 points respectively. In '10-'11 he racked up 14 through thirty-five games, which should have seen him equal his career high or best it had he not gotten injured and missed so much time. Last year's drop to 12 is easily attributable to the aforementioned surgery. I'd expect a nice rebound, how much will naturally follow where he ends up, PP1 or PP2.

Speaking of players coming off injury, Brendan Morrow is a wildcard. Yes he's only broken twenty points on the power play once in his career, and come close a couple of other times, but he could provide much needed help. It will remain to be seen if he can stay healthy for the whole season, but if so I think he can provide another spark to help boost the power play.

Can Jamie Benn make strides in this area of his game? At his age and with his tools you have to feel like he should be stepping up big here in the very near future. I certainly see no reason why it can't happen this year....other then that pesky lockout BS. Can Loui Eriksson return to the 25pt form he showed back in '10-'11? Can guys like Goli, Robidas, and Larsen provide some spark from the blueline? These are some key areas to watch for the much needed rebound. I really feel like a breakout here from Benn would a huge boost for the whole unit and could feed others.

I'm not expecting miracles, but I think the Stars should move up into the lower end of the middle third of the league. I would look to see them end up ranking somewhere in the 17-20 area at season's end, with anything better than that as icing on the cake. And I do think it's possible they could finish better then that, even flirting with the top 10 though not breaking into it. But at this point with no training camp or exhibition games to use as far as a tool to gauge possible PP combos and changes in style of play it's really kind of a guessing game.
    Last edited by NoWayOut; September 29, 2012 at 3:10 PM.
    Your beer mug isn't half-empty, your just half-way to the next refill.....

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Dallas will be improved, but their defense is still too shallow to allow them to make the playoffs.

They have a good top six and a great goaltender. Things are on the upswing.
    Follow me on Twitter: AngusCertified
    Check my blog out: Angus Certified

Dobber Sports Wizard

Finally we have our Stars back!!!!

On the downside, I was so turned off by the whole lockout BS that I haven't followed hockey at any level during that time. I'm way out of the loop on everything at the moment. But just like the players I've got training camp to get geared up and ready to go. Once the puck drops for the season I'll be up and going with loads of news and other goodies.

Game on baby!!!

Dobber Sports Initiate

So what does Jamie Benn's contract look like in a few days?

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by grindin griers View Post
    So what does Jamie Benn's contract look like in a few days?
    I'm still trying to digest all the details of this CBA so I don't feel real confident speculating. However once this CBA is ratified I would expect to see a deal in place either that day or more likely the next day to get him into camp quickly. I do think the talks will get underway before the votes to ratify are tallied.

Banned

new uniforms for the stars coming next season.
    they need it badly...

http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/2013...he-stars.html/

Dobber Sports Wizard

The Stars announced eight player who were recalled from the minors for this shortened training camp. Those would be...

Cody Eakin
    Jordie Benn
    Reilly Smith
    Brendan Dillon
    Antoine Roussel
    Cristopher Nilstorp
    Brett Ritchie
    Radek Faksa

A noticeable omission from that list of names is Tomas Vincour. By all accounts his play so far for the Texas Stars has been lackluster enough he keep him out of this years camp.

Be interesting to see who sticks and who heads back to the minors. I think the obvious ones to stick are Eakin and Dillon. Dillon and Benn will be competing for the seventh D spot, but I personally like Dillon in that battle. I think Reilly Smith will get some serious consideration as well.

Watch Nilstorp too. I don't think he will unseat Bachman as Lehtonen's backup, but the team does want competition for the spot. If nothing else this will be good motivation for Bachman to keep on top of his game. And it gives the coaching staff a good look at the man they'll be calling up with the next inevitable Lehtonen injury.

It will also be interesting to see if Faksa sticks for a few games after the season starts. He was named by many as NHL ready coming out of the draft, and with the new CBA teams can keep guys like him up for four games this year before burning a year of their ELC.

Last one, and this comes from Taylor Baird at Defending Big D, watch Antoine Roussel. He's an agitator and fills some of the role left open with Ott's departure. Not a lock, but worth keeping an eye on just the same.

Still waiting for word of a Benn signing. I'm looking for it to come tomorrow, but who knows. This has got to be priority one, two, three, four, well you get my drfit, if I'm in Joe's shoes. In the words of Metallica, nothing else matters. Okay that's a little overstated but still very high priority.

Looking forward to the new season. A short one like this who knows what could happen.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Just been looking over the schedule for this season. Here's a link to it from the Stars site....

http://stars.nhl.com/club/schedule.htm

A few notes on that. First off the Stars will be the second most traveled team this year in terms of miles. If your wanting to see them live at home, March is your best bet. They have 13 games that month, nine of which are at home, featuring two four game home stands. Actually that second long stretch is five in a row, as the fifth game will be on April 1st.

February and April are less kind as they will be on the road more than they are home. In both cases they will have six at home and eight on the road. Also of note, the Stars and Ducks will get very intimate to start the month of April. They will be in Big D on the 1st, then in Anaheim on the 3rd and 5th. Kinda weird seeing the same teams three-in-a-row.

Another thing to look at here. They have nine back-to-backs this season. Hopefully they can reverse last season's abysmal performance in the back-enders of those back-to-backs. Really, after 1-13 in those games last season, there's no where to go but up.

Also for those who are interested Mark Stepneski of StarsInsideEdge tweeted the following earlier....

Mark Stepneski ‏@StarsInsideEdge
    Forward lines: Eriksson-Roy-Jagr; Whitney-Wandell-Ryder; Morrow-Fiddler-Nystrom; Garbutt-Eakin-R. Smith
    Mark Stepneski ‏@StarsInsideEdge
    Defense pairs to start camp: Goligoski-Robidas; Rome-Daley; Fistric-Larsen; Jordie Benn-Dillon
    And with that the cliff notes version of Stars camp is open.

Banned

so what to you think happens when benn signs. do the wings stay the same, but with benn just bumping all of the centers down a line?

eriksson - benn - jagr

whitney - roy - ryder