Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1st pick over all in 1-year NFL draft??

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default 1st pick over all in 1-year NFL draft??

Who would you take with the 1st pick overall in a 1-year NFL draft?? No salary cap..

Points are awarded as follows:

RB and WR: 6 points for every TD rushing or receiving
    RB AND WR: 1 point for every 10 yards rushing or receiving

QB: 4 POINTS for throwing TD
    QB: 6 points for rushing TD
    QB: 1 points for every 25 yards passing
    QB: 1 point for every 10 yards rushing

I believe Rodgers was the number one point getter last season..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Initiate

I think you've got to go RB. There are only a handful of RBs that are guaranteed to be top flight producers, while there are going to be a good amount of productive QBs. Rodgers may end up being the top scorer again, but you have to ask yourself what the better combo is - Rodgers and a less than stellar RB (do you want to bank on CJ2K?) or a stud RB like Foster or McCoy and a guy like Romo or Vick?

Great points there!! Gives me alot to think about.. Thanks Strider..

Dobber Sports Apprentice

foster or rice

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default I'd say

It's between Arian Foster & Calvin Johnson for top spot and I'd tend to go Foster

There's no way I take a QB 1st overall - the depth there of guys who are 'pretty darn good' just takes away from Rodgers 'uniqueness'

Injuries being what they are I go McCoy or Rice. That is a tich off the mainstream path, since most prefer Foster @ #1, but I think it's only a matter of time before he gets hurt and Ben Tate is THE best #2. And he's only considered a #2 because of Foster.

That's why I go Rice or McCoy at #1 - but I'm a little odd that way.

Megatron is top five (arguably) but no way is he #1 overall.

Rodgers....if you are in a twelve team league is a first rounder certainly. but in a ten team league, I'm looking at a QB in the second round...maybe even third.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Initiate

I'm with Bomm here. I'd still probably go Foster first, but I think you've got to think long and hard about McCoy. Megatron is another interesting option, but I just can't see taking a WR first overall.

Dobber Sports Pro

Foster for me! Too few feature-type backs in the NFL to not take one of the stud ones with that pick. But, make sure you snatch up Tate in round 5-6ish as an insurance policy. (I usually do that with any/most stud backs I draft, and this especially relates to Foster-Tate)
    Last edited by PocketRockets05; June 21, 2012 at 7:40 PM.
    12 teams h-to-h partial keeper league. Daily line-up changes.
    End of the year u keep 1C, 2W, 2D, 1G
    Categories: G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, FW, W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    Lineup: 2C, 4W, 4D, 2G, 5Bench, 2IR

Thankyou so much guys, this definitely helps a TON.. I am open to any and all football guru's to share there perspective on this matter!!

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Careful?

Quote Originally Posted by PocketRockets05 View Post
    Foster for me! Too few feature-type backs in the NFL to not take one of the stud ones with that pick. But, make sure you snatch up Tate in round 5-6ish as an insurance policy. (I usually do that with any/most stud backs I draft, and this especially relates to Foster-Tate)
    I only handcuff if mine falls far enough - Tate is a pretty sweet back but in round 5-6 I can get a hell of a good player that will definitely be playing. Instead of worrying about MY handcuff I'll build a team with good depth and take handcuffs behind broken old RB (Isaiah Pead in round 12 is FAR more appealing to me than Tate in round 6)

Besides the fun part is trading for Tate in week 5 when he's barely touched the field and you give up your 11th round WR that is breaking out a little and make sure you end the season in good shape!

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Dyv View Post
    I only handcuff if mine falls far enough - Tate is a pretty sweet back but in round 5-6 I can get a hell of a good player that will definitely be playing. Instead of worrying about MY handcuff I'll build a team with good depth and take handcuffs behind broken old RB (Isaiah Pead in round 12 is FAR more appealing to me than Tate in round 6)

Besides the fun part is trading for Tate in week 5 when he's barely touched the field and you give up your 11th round WR that is breaking out a little and make sure you end the season in good shape!
    Personally, with me, I don't always, but mostly handcuff depending on who the man is I'm taking.

If I'm investing a 1st round pick (especially a 1st overall selection) on a a high level player but one who has an injury history and that same guy has an awesome back behind him who is fairly well known then I would be a bit more aggressive on drafting the back up. A guy like Foster who, dating back to his college days, doesn't have the cleanest slate when it comes to injuries, and Tate, who even when Foster is playing, tends to get a decent # touches and is quite productive with those touches, I'd really want to make sure I snag him up to give me peace of mind on my high priced Foster investment.

When I said round 5-6 I don't mean that literally. I'd keep track of RB's that are remaining and when there are only a few starters remaining I'd then snatch Tate up, even if that means taking him a round or two early. If I have faith in my drafting abilities and have done my due diligence in research one of my late round fliers should turn into an asset anyways, so forfeiting that 6th-8th round pick (I think that's a more realistic range) to protect my prized possession with his highly skilled backup is well worth it for me.

Now, despite what I just said a really important thing to assess is the optics of your pool. How knowledgeable are your fellow GM's? I know in my partial-keeper pool all the guys in it know their stuff, and I have a general idea of when Tate will go, so I'll try to make sure I snag him up a round before that (pending a stud who has somehow fallen really late still isn't there). Trading for him in week 5 sounds awesome in theory, but in my league, if a GM has Tate and sees I have Foster, he'll make me pay a king's ransom for him because if I try to pursue Tate when Foster is still healthy he'll know what I'm doing in protecting my investment and I'll hardly have any leverage in the trade talks. And worst case scenario, if Foster gets injured, then I'd have to back up the brinks trucks to get Tate who would then probably be a top 5 back.

On the other hand, if your league isn't composed of experienced GM's then as you noted above Dyv, I'd draft Tate later (he might even be a FA or dropped if he's unproductive after a couple weeks), or just trade for him in week 2 or 3 and make it seem like I just want him as a throw in for a deal, and if the GM I'm dealing with isn't experienced he won't know what I'm doing.

With respect to Isaiah Pead that for sure sounds like an appealing option! It's a bit of a risk-reward I guess. Getting Pead, but not Tate...and let's say Foster doesn't get injured but SJax goes down then you got two great backs and you win twice, but on the other end, if Foster goes down and SJax stays strong then you lose twice and are then in scramble mode to find a replacement on arguably the #1 fantasy player. Really, it's a trade off of let's say having Pead+6th or Tate+12th, and personally, after seeing how productive Tate was even with Foster in the lineup I think I'd rather have the Tate end, especially if I own Foster and have faith in my ability to draft a gem or two in the later rounds.

Anyways, enjoying the debate, that's my 2 cents on it..
    12 teams h-to-h partial keeper league. Daily line-up changes.
    End of the year u keep 1C, 2W, 2D, 1G
    Categories: G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, FW, W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    Lineup: 2C, 4W, 4D, 2G, 5Bench, 2IR

Lots of good rookie RB's this year aswell, and some that might make an impact right away!!

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Foster

this is all that has to be said...
    guy does it all

and take into consideration they're going to try and get Schaub through this season
    16TeamPtsLeague3ptShutoutPlay9F4D2G 18ManRoster30ManRookieList(2yearsorLess)8Keepers-Malkin,Kopitar,Eberle,Subban,JBernier,Rask,Karlsso n,Radulov,Keith,Streit,Perreault,McBain
    Rook:Bachman,Schroeder,Petersson,Rynass,Stalock,Om ark

Dobber Sports Wizard

You HAVE to go Shady McCoy. He's a 4 down back and catches passes. After him and guys like Foster, slim pickings at RB as most teams are going to a timeshare. RB already score a ton in your league, so that makes it easier. Rd 2, get your QB. Hopefully Cam Newton is hanging around. If not and guys like Vick go, get a stud WR in rd 2. If it comes to that, there's a certain rookie QB in Wash who could have a similar rookie season to Newton's who you can target in rd 3/4 - worst case scenario.
    Last edited by One87; July 1, 2012 at 10:10 PM.
    League:Fantrax 18 Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G)
    Cats:G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, S, SV%, W, GAA

C: Backstrom,Giroux,MacKinnon,Seguin
    W:
    D.Brown,Hartnell,Hossa,P.Kane
    Kesler,Marleau,Perron,Zibanejad

D: Boyle,Del Zotto,Doughty,D.Hamilton,Hedman,Markov
    G: Rinne
    Bench: Braun,Comeau, Demers,DeHaan,Polak,Stempniak,Wingels --Fleury

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by One87 View Post
    You HAVE to go Shady McCoy. He's a 4 down back and catches passes. After him and guys like Foster, slim pickings at RB as most teams are going to a timeshare. RB already score a ton in your league, so that makes it easier. Rd 2, get your QB. Hopefully Cam Newton is hanging around. If not and guys like Vick go, get a stud WR in rd 2. If it comes to that, there's a certain rookie QB in Wash who could have a similar rookie season to Newton's who you can target in rd 3/4 - worst case scenario.
    Cam Newton had probably the greatest rookie season any quarterback has ever had. I think expecting anybody to repeat that is setting yourself up for disappointment.
    Last edited by strider2k2; July 1, 2012 at 10:46 PM.