Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: If you want advice

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default If you want advice

Please do give a BRIEF description of your league and format along with your question. Sometimes advice on who to sit or start will vary a TON based on how your scoring works and size of league, etc. So, tell us how many teams are in your league, do you use PPR (Point per reception) scoring and any other info that you can provide. We'll give you our .02 - and tell you when it's a coin toss!

Dobber Sports Guru

Very excited to see the new site!
    One stop shopping for all my fantasy needs....

I'm already wondering if you'll need more room for this section -- seems like it'll be a popular place. I almost wonder if it'll need four forums: QBs, WR/TEs, RBs, Def/K. I guess time will tell!

Glad to have you aboard!
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Thanks!

Thanks Stone!

I waffled a bit with how many forums we should have but I figure if we start simple we can break it out from there. I expect right around the key draft times last week of Aug and first week of Sep and then Sunday mornings for gameday advice this forum could be chaos! We'll keep a good eye on it.

The Wolverine

Good to see there is a football forum and thanks for being the first port of call Dyv. Once it becomes more active, this thread would be a good sticky, especially for those newer to the game.

Yeah it could branch out possibly depending on activity. One I could see is keeping the 'lineup discussion' section as purely for that, game day roster decisions. But perhaps having another section on general roster management (e.g. strategy, FA pick ups etc).

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I'm hoping our 'start 'em/sit 'em' weekly article the night before game day will actually answer a fair bit of the questions, but those last minute pieces - and we know some coaches are so tight-lipped that it's 2 hours before game time before they tell you a key player isn't even going to suit up or the famous 'we'll see how they do in warm-ups' talk. You're probably right, horror - a separate forum JUST for game day chatter may be appropriate. I'm hoping the atmosphere and straight-talk/answer feel around here will lead to hundreds of us hanging out Sunday mornings. Setting lineups, chatting about possibles, pointing out latest tidbits, etc. I'm not pretty enough to be on tv, but I can definitely break down the info.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Woohoo... now we don't have to clutter up the Hockey Lounge with our fantasy football questions!!! Love this!

Me too...prepping for a draft next friday. it's a dynasty league so we only draft rooks and unowned players.

Hey, tell me something.....Steelers backfield is stacked with Mendenhall (PUP), Dwyer, Redman, and Rainey. But now I am hearing murmurs about Baron Batch. Per NFL.com

...gangbusters in training camp before getting hurt -- will be the classic change-of-pace runner/pass catcher in what oughta be a dynamic offense on the banks of the three rivers this season.

Now Redman is a plodding hump, Mendenhall never really seems to reach the level he was projected to hit plus separated should now his knee. Dwyer and Rainey are unknowns.

In a 12 team dyno, do ya take a flyer on this Batch dude, if ya have room to sit and wait?
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Don't bother with Batch. Never say never, but he's a late round pick from 2011 who tore his ACL last year and is on the mend. He's going to have to be a beast just to get into the practice squad if the others are healthy. Rainey, on the other hand - he's got some Sproles-like potential in him and until PIT gets a real yardage threat TE having a flicker back may be the best way to keep defenses honest.

Dobber Sports Monster

Bring on Football!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dyv View Post
    Don't bother with Batch. Never say never, but he's a late round pick from 2011 who tore his ACL last year and is on the mend. He's going to have to be a beast just to get into the practice squad if the others are healthy. Rainey, on the other hand - he's got some Sproles-like potential in him and until PIT gets a real yardage threat TE having a flicker back may be the best way to keep defenses honest.
    Thanks Dyv, nice to have a level headed, objective oppinion. I get caught up trying to find thos "diamonds in the rough" sometime I get lost and need a reality check.

Hey..Shonne Green aside for the moment, does Joey McKnight have lead back ability?

Again, I'm in a dynasty with McCoy and Ray-Ray as my leads. Drafted McKnight late round last year. Wondering if it's worth saving a roster spot for him.

Thanks....and great to have you on board.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Sage

Question:

If I know nothing about the NFL and want to draft Joe Paopao in the third round, what should I do to get edumacated? Seriously...
    10tm Dynasty Lg - $96M CAP
    G A PTS +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV% SO

C: Barkov, Eichel, McDavid
    RW: P. Kane, Okposo
    LW: E. Kane, Couture
    D: Subban, Byfuglien, Faulk, Vatanen, Morgan Reilly
    G: Schneider, Gibson/Andersen
    UTIL: Kuznetsov, Kadri, Little, Stone

Farm
    D: J. Schultz, Sekera, Hanifin, Hamonic
    F: Spooner, Silfverberg, Konecny, Roussell
    G: F. Andersen/Gibson, Mason, Ward, Anderson

Prospect:
    F - D Strome, Burakovsky, Raantanen, Bjorkstrand
    D - Ryan Murphy

Quote Originally Posted by ridinryan44 View Post
    Question:

If I know nothing about the NFL and want to draft Joe Paopao in the third round, what should I do to get edumacated? Seriously...
    Quit while you're ahead....
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    Thanks Dyv, nice to have a level headed, objective oppinion. I get caught up trying to find thos "diamonds in the rough" sometime I get lost and need a reality check.

Hey..Shonne Green aside for the moment, does Joey McKnight have lead back ability?

Again, I'm in a dynasty with McCoy and Ray-Ray as my leads. Drafted McKnight late round last year. Wondering if it's worth saving a roster spot for him.

Thanks....and great to have you on board.
    You're very welcome. I don't see McKnight as anything special - he's going to be either #2 or #3 on the depth chart and any injury to Shonn would lead to him having a chance. Still, he just seems a depth-type back who will play situationally. Whether he's worth a spot or not depends a lot on who else you could put in that situation. If you could get Bernard Pierce, for example - who should vulture some of Ray-Ray's goal line carries and could develop I'd probably go that route. I wouldn't throw away McKnight too readily, though - he's certainly lined up to be one twisted knee away from a shot. I also find myself wondering what Tebow's role in this offense is going to be. If he wildcats and takes 15% of the running plays that hurts RB value too.

I think fantasy value is probably pretty close to 50% skill and 50% opportunity - don't neglect the fact that McKnight is close on the 2nd part depth chart.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Bomm Bastic View Post
    Quit while you're ahead....
    NOT the answer I was looking for BOMM

I'm thinking this new dobberfootball, though, may be enough to at least give me some know-how to join my friends this year.
    10tm Dynasty Lg - $96M CAP
    G A PTS +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV% SO

C: Barkov, Eichel, McDavid
    RW: P. Kane, Okposo
    LW: E. Kane, Couture
    D: Subban, Byfuglien, Faulk, Vatanen, Morgan Reilly
    G: Schneider, Gibson/Andersen
    UTIL: Kuznetsov, Kadri, Little, Stone

Farm
    D: J. Schultz, Sekera, Hanifin, Hamonic
    F: Spooner, Silfverberg, Konecny, Roussell
    G: F. Andersen/Gibson, Mason, Ward, Anderson

Prospect:
    F - D Strome, Burakovsky, Raantanen, Bjorkstrand
    D - Ryan Murphy

Quote Originally Posted by ridinryan44 View Post
    NOT the answer I was looking for BOMM

I'm thinking this new dobberfootball, though, may be enough to at least give me some know-how to join my friends this year.
    lol..just messin w/ya RR. I can PM ya a few other sites that might be helpful to ya. But as with any pool, really depends on the type of league you're getting into (eg dynasty, keeper etc..)

But I got some sites that can get ya off the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Dyv View Post
    You're very welcome. I don't see McKnight as anything special - he's going to be either #2 or #3 on the depth chart and any injury to Shonn would lead to him having a chance. Still, he just seems a depth-type back who will play situationally. Whether he's worth a spot or not depends a lot on who else you could put in that situation. If you could get Bernard Pierce, for example - who should vulture some of Ray-Ray's goal line carries and could develop I'd probably go that route. I wouldn't throw away McKnight too readily, though - he's certainly lined up to be one twisted knee away from a shot. I also find myself wondering what Tebow's role in this offense is going to be. If he wildcats and takes 15% of the running plays that hurts RB value too.

I think fantasy value is probably pretty close to 50% skill and 50% opportunity - don't neglect the fact that McKnight is close on the 2nd part depth chart.
    That was my thinking...very cool. And thanks for the Pierce recommendation. I will def be taking that under advisement.
    @SmittysRant