Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Sleeper D's for 2012-2013

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by loco man View Post
    Interesting. Can you elaborate a bit?

I haven't watched the Oil much over the past couple, but I seem to remember Gilbert ONLY having offensive potential, with terrible defensive presence.

He did put up three consecutive seasons with 30+ points, has scored 13 goals and has hit 45 points in a relatively young career. His last two years have seen a serious decline, but it is hard to gauge the offensive prowess of a guy on the last place team.

He was playing monster minutes in Minny (mistake IMO), especially on the PP so they must see something in his offensive game.

Still, his leash will be short. There are sadly very few options on the wire

Gilbert has always played a lot of minutes. He's one of those players that we always expect more offense from but, the fact is, he's only scored 33 goals in over 400 NHL games. Over his career he has averaged 33 points per 82 games. If we take away his 45-point year, (0.55 PPG) which seems like an anomaly now, he averages 30 points per 82 games. I think 30-33 points is the high point for Gilbert. He's getting great mileage out of one 45-point season. Gilbert was tied for 16th among Dmen in 08-09.

Here are the scoring stats for defensemen in 2008-09:

http://espn.go.com/nhl/statistics/pl...ion/defensemen

Even Cam Barker had 40 points in 08-09!

Here are the scoring stats for defensemen in 2011-12:

If Gilbert had matched his career rate of 33 points last season he would have been tied for 31st in scoring for defensemen. There are some quality offensive defensemen that didn't get 45 points last season. I think it would be more accurate in assessing Tom Gilbert's potential if the 45-point season was ignored.

Gilbert does many things well, but nothing he does really stands out. He's not a PPQB and, with Ryan Whitney's (<<<sleeper) injury problems, has had plenty of opportunity to assume the role. I've watched him play with the Oilers quite a bit and he just doesn't look like one of those guys who likes having the puck. He's the opposite of poised.

Also, Gilbert will turn 30 before the NHL All-Star game...not exactly old, but not an age to expect a big increase in production.

As for Minnesota's other options...call me crazy but I think Nate Prosser has the potential to surprise offensively.
    My pool
    Goals = 1 point, Assists = 1/2 point, Goals Against = -1/2 point

Fowards: S. Stamkos, J. Neal, M. Moulson, M. Read, N. Foligno, B. Wheeler, L. Stempniak, J. Pavelski, B. Flynn, S. Bernier

D-men: S. Weber, PK Subban, D. Phaneuf, J. Carlson, TJ Brodie, B. Smith, M. Irwin, B. Dillon, K. Cumiskey,

Goalies: Nashville, Chicago, St. Louis

Farm: T. Rattie, R. Johansen, A. Killorn, J. Zucker, J. Akeson, M. Sgarbossa, A. Yogan, M. St. Croix, M. Friberg, E. Gelinas, A. Ness, J. Muzzin, MA Bourdon, S. Harrington, R. Smith, C. Emmerton, M. Mayorov, I. Makarov, P. Maroon

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by digitalmonkey View Post
    Gilbert has always played a lot of minutes. He's one of those players that we always expect more offense from but, the fact is, he's only scored 33 goals in over 400 NHL games. Over his career he has averaged 33 points per 82 games. If we take away his 45-point year, (0.55 PPG) which seems like an anomaly now, he averages 30 points per 82 games. I think 30-33 points is the high point for Gilbert. He's getting great mileage out of one 45-point season. Gilbert was tied for 16th among Dmen in 08-09.

Here are the scoring stats for defensemen in 2008-09:

Even Cam Barker had 40 points in 08-09!

Here are the scoring stats for defensemen in 2011-12:

If Gilbert had matched his career rate of 33 points last season he would have been tied for 31st in scoring for defensemen. There are some quality offensive defensemen that didn't get 45 points last season. I think it would be more accurate in assessing Tom Gilbert's potential if the 45-point season was ignored.

Gilbert does many things well, but nothing he does really stands out. He's not a PPQB and, with Ryan Whitney's (<<<sleeper) injury problems, has had plenty of opportunity to assume the role. I've watched him play with the Oilers quite a bit and he just doesn't look like one of those guys who likes having the puck. He's the opposite of poised.

Also, Gilbert will turn 30 before the NHL All-Star game...not exactly old, but not an age to expect a big increase in production.

As for Minnesota's other options...call me crazy but I think Nate Prosser has the potential to surprise offensively.
    Good points. Not what i was hoping to hear, but I appreciate it none the less.

I like Prosser too
    20 Team Dynasty League - POINTS ONLY (Champion - 2017, 2016, 2015)

Goalie: W (3.5) SO (4) L (-1)
    Daily starts: 9 Fwd, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Wilson Beauvillier Labanc
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour
    Butcher Murray Bayreuther

Fleury
    Domingue

Dobber Sports Stud

I'll add Nikita Nikitin. He's not on a lot of people's radar but I like his game.
    Excelsior~ Ever Higher

Dear Mr. Fantasy play us a tune
    Something to make us all happy
    Do anything, take us out of this gloom
    Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy~ Traffic

Dobber Sports Guru

Gragnani could be due for a good year in Vancouver if he re-signs and manages to get some time on the PP unit. He has good offensive instincts and could reoplace Salo who is an UFA.

Dobber Sports Guru

Not sure about it, but I'm holding out hopes that J-bo will find himself closer to his Florida production than the last few Flames years with a new staff in place.

Tom Gilbert occupied much of the Minny PP down the stretch, and they're paying him like they expect him to contribute -- I know he was discussed above, but that paycheck is gonna give him every opportunity.

What about Quincey in Detroit if Lidstrom steps aside? Depends on the Suter rumours.

I think Gragnani is a decent call if Salo hangs 'em up.

Sbisa's second half was pretty solid -- some nice streaks. That's with very little PP time. If Visnovsky leaves...and Schultz doesn't sign there, he could really benefit.

Whomever Tbay brings in...or Hedman...or Barberio if he makes the cut.

Is Josi still considered under-the-radar? He'll have a shot to thrive if/when Suter goes.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Veteran

Nikitin. He played on line 1 over JJ and Wiz and he is better defensively than both of them. He also didn't go more than 4 games without a point (excluding his games in STL) this season until he played through an injury late in the season. He was 11th in PPG amoung defensemen before his injury that he played through (excluding his games in STL).
    Fantrax - Salary cap dynasty - cap hit - H2H each category
    Start: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2UTIL, 2G, 6 Bench, 4IR
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PIM, STG, STA, SOG, FOW, GWG, Hits, BLK, W, GAA, Saves, SV%, SO

C: Getzlaf, Turris, Eakin, ____
    LW: Kunitz, MacArthur, Pacioretty, ____
    RW: Little (C), Tarasenko, Eriksson (LW)
    D: Pietrangelo, JJ, Streit, Brodie, Benn, ____
    G: Lundqvist, Bishop, Holtby

Farm: Grigorenko, H Lindholm, Faksa, Collberg, Grimaldi, Lee, K Hayes, G Carey, Schmaltz
    G: Grubauer, Gudlevskis

Dobber Sports Padawan

How about Marco Scandella? He's locked in MIN's top 6 next year and has shown offensive ability at the last junior and AHL levels. Could be in for a nice season.

Braydon McNabb from BUF is another one I'm keeping my eye on. I have him as a prospect in one of my leagues and I think he could be quite good. May not get a full-time load next year but sure seems ready to make the jump.

Eric Gudbranson - in just his 2nd year he's not really someone that people would consider to fly under the radar but I'm expecting this kid to make a pretty significant jump this upcoming year.

And finally Erik Gustafsson. I like his upside and with Timonen and Pronger aging I'm assuming PHI will address their eventual departures via UFA but if they don't than I could see Gustafsson giving an opportunity to showcase his offensive talents.

There are several "flyers" out there but these are a few of the guys I'm keeping an eye on in deeper leagus.
    10-team Auction League, $160 team salary, weekly H2H, start: 6F, 4D, 1G and 5 Bench

Scoring structure: (F : 1pt G / 1pt A / 0.15pts SOG / 0.15pts Hits / 0.15pts BlkS), (G : 5 pts W / 3 pts SO / 0.01 pts Saves)

Forwards : Ovechkin ($43), Kessel ($20), Benn ($7), Spezza ($13), Brown ($7), Marchand ($13), Landeskog ($3), Elias ($1), Plekanec ($1),

Defenses : Letang ($26), Visnovsky ($1), Bieksa ($1), Faulk ($2) Ehrhoff ($2)

Goalies : Holtby ($7), Nabokov ($2)

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by kenzle1r View Post
    How about Marco Scandella? He's locked in MIN's top 6 next year and has shown offensive ability at the last junior and AHL levels. Could be in for a nice season.
    A lot depends on Spurgeon's health. If healthy, I think he gets top minutes on the PP.

Scandella was playing with Gilbert on the top PP to end the year, so if Spurgeon can't go, Scandella could be in for a very nice year indeed.
    20 Team Dynasty League - POINTS ONLY (Champion - 2017, 2016, 2015)

Goalie: W (3.5) SO (4) L (-1)
    Daily starts: 9 Fwd, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Wilson Beauvillier Labanc
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour
    Butcher Murray Bayreuther

Fleury
    Domingue

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Gragnani sucks balls defensively and that's why he won't get enough opportunity to produce.
    GO WINGS!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Kulikov - guy was lights out prior to getting hurt
    Bogosian - Steadily improving - he has some people he is behind but don't expect that to last
    Despres - I would be shocked if he doesn't make Pittsburgh top 6 next year and will be with Letang or on the 2nd PP (could be replaced by Morrow if Morrow makes the jump but I would bet on Despres)
    Fowler - Has all the offensive talent you could ask for
    2010-2011 League Champion
    2012-2013 Runner Up
    ROTO
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2,G | G, A, PPP, +/-, PIM, BS, W, GAA, SV%
    C: Getzlaf, Backstrom
    LW: Hall, Tlusty
    RW: Malkin, Lupul
    D: Ehrhoff, Del Zotto, Enstrom, Carle
    G: Holtby, Smith
    Bench: Faulk, Druoin, MacKinnon, Brodin, S. Mason, Bernier
    H2H Keeper League [5F, 1D, 1F/D 1G]
    2013 - 3rd
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D,1 Ult, 1 G -H2H Daily Start - G, A, +/-, Hits, BS, PPP, SHP - W, SV, GAA, SO
    F:Tavares, Landeskog, E.Kane, Backes, Yakupov, RNH/Kesler
    D: Green/OEL
    G: Rask

Dobber Sports Stud

Orlov. 19 points in 60 GP in 2011/12 including a stretch in early 2012 where he put up points in a number of consecutive games. Depends a lot on which d are back (Green, Wideman etc) but I could see a nice point increase for him.
    24teams;27players(20roster,7bench)dynasty(full keeper);
    Cap league based on NHL salaries (not cap hit);
    pool points:
    F/C: G 4pts; A 4pts; +/- 2pts
    D(min5,max9): G 8pts; A 5pts; +/- 4pts
    G(min2,max3): W 9pts; OTL 5pts; SO 4pts
    extra points for PPP

F:Kucherov,Kessel,Thornton,Galchenyuk,Hornqvist,Tr ochek,Atkinson,Jenner,SamBennett,Namestnikov,Point ,DShore,ZSanford,DStrome,ANylander,Guentzel,Kapane n,Kamenev
    D:Klingberg,Vatanen,Krug,Stralman,Pulock,Hanifin,W alman
    G:Fleury,Murray

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever."

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by His Dudeness View Post
    Orlov. 19 points in 60 GP in 2011/12 including a stretch in early 2012 where he put up points in a number of consecutive games. Depends a lot on which d are back (Green, Wideman etc) but I could see a nice point increase for him.
    Yep if both Wideman and Green are gone (dont see that happening but you never know, I do think one is gone) than Orlov will take a huge step forward.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

If Joe Morrow can have a good (or better) camp again this year he'll have a good shot at making the Pens. He looked great with Letang on the PP and already has decent size. He might force them to make room for him and Depres.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by kenzle1r View Post

Braydon McNabb from BUF is another one I'm keeping my eye on. I have him as a prospect in one of my leagues and I think he could be quite good. May not get a full-time load next year but sure seems ready to make the jump.

Eric Gudbranson - in just his 2nd year he's not really someone that people would consider to fly under the radar but I'm expecting this kid to make a pretty significant jump this upcoming year.

And finally Erik Gustafsson. I like his upside and with Timonen and Pronger aging I'm assuming PHI will address their eventual departures via UFA but if they don't than I could see Gustafsson giving an opportunity to showcase his offensive talents.

There are several "flyers" out there but these are a few of the guys I'm keeping an eye on in deeper leagus.
    I agree on Gustafsson. I think he could make the team next season if the Flyers don't add to many free agent Dmen. He looked pretty good in the Pens Flyers series.
    Fantrax - Salary cap dynasty - cap hit - H2H each category
    Start: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2UTIL, 2G, 6 Bench, 4IR
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PIM, STG, STA, SOG, FOW, GWG, Hits, BLK, W, GAA, Saves, SV%, SO

C: Getzlaf, Turris, Eakin, ____
    LW: Kunitz, MacArthur, Pacioretty, ____
    RW: Little (C), Tarasenko, Eriksson (LW)
    D: Pietrangelo, JJ, Streit, Brodie, Benn, ____
    G: Lundqvist, Bishop, Holtby

Farm: Grigorenko, H Lindholm, Faksa, Collberg, Grimaldi, Lee, K Hayes, G Carey, Schmaltz
    G: Grubauer, Gudlevskis

Dobber Sports Pro

I'm looking at Voynov in LA if he hasn't been mentioned already. LA has finally found some reliable offense and if their PP picks up then Voynov could benefit.