Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Sleeper D's for 2012-2013

Dobber Sports Star

Default Sleeper D's for 2012-2013

I'll start off with two from my very own team.

Tom Gilbert and Anton Babchuk

Gilbo will get a boatload of opportunity on the PP and I see him rebounding to 40 points in what should be an ideal situation for him. Nothing but top PP minutes down the stretch, and presumably next year too. I read that Fletcher said he had been a target of the Wild for three years and now figures prominently in their plans. I will try to dig up the link.

Babs finished the season playing on the top PP with Giordano and potted 5 points in his last 9 games. Feaster has referred to him as a "50 point" D man, which may be (is) a stretch, but if he is used as a PP spe******t by the new coach, he could easily hit 15 goals.

Here's hoping, anyway.

Who's on your list?
    Last edited by loco man; May 27, 2012 at 3:39 PM.
    20 Team Dynasty League - POINTS ONLY (Champion - 2017, 2016, 2015)

Goalie: W (3.5) SO (4) L (-1)
    Daily starts: 9 Fwd, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Wilson Beauvillier Labanc
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour
    Butcher Murray Bayreuther

Fleury
    Domingue

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I would put Bogosain, Goligoski, Nkitin, Carlson, Gardiner, and Kulikov up there as possible d-men who will get a sizeable point increase next season..

I would also cut bait on Babchuk ASAP. Ofcourse Feaster is going to try and pump the tires of his own players.. I just don't see him doing much of anything..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    I would also cut bait on Babchuk ASAP. Ofcourse Feaster is going to try and pump the tires of his own players.. I just don't see him doing much of anything..
    He is my last D so the scissors are handy. However, I am curious as to why you think he won't produce, if given PP time?

Feaster's comments aside, he has put up back to back 35 point season, has scored 16 goals and has a bomb from the point. He is terrible defensively, but the guy can put up numbers.

Breaking his hand, losing his spot to TJ Brodie and not being able to get his spot back killed his year last season, but he did finish off the year where he belongs - on the top PP and put up points in that role.

Not that he is a lock by any means, but I don't see much better options on the top unit than Babchuk and you never know how he will respond to a new coach.

Worth a flyer anyway IMO

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour

Fleury
    Domingue

I should have looked at your league details before I said that.. I didn't notice until after I posted that your league is an 18 team league.. For a league that big, I guess you can always afford to take a chance on guys like Babchuk.

If it was me though, I would take a chance on a younger guy. But I do see your point and Babchuk should atleast get a great opportunity to be a top PPQB along side Giordano this season, until he gets hurt ofcourse.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    I should have looked at your league details before I said that.. I didn't notice until after I posted that your league is an 18 team league.. For a league that big, I guess you can always afford to take a chance on guys like Babchuk.

If it was me though, I would take a chance on a younger guy. But I do see your point and Babchuk should atleast get a great opportunity to be a top PPQB along side Giordano this season, until he gets hurt ofcourse.
    ya, I should have mentioned that my league is a D goal heavy, points only keeper. Just didn't want it to be too narrowly focused on my type of league.

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour

Fleury
    Domingue

I just know in my 12 team points only keeper league, Babchuk will not be on anybody's radar.

But if given top minutes on the PP, Babchuk could definitely get you some goals..

Dobber Sports Deity

I like Jeff Petry from the Oilers. I think hes going to see some big time minutes and PP time and will put up some decent numbers in his first full season with the Oilers.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Stud

I can see Brent Burns having a big year in SJ next season.

Depending on what happens to Suter and Weber, Ellis and Josi could both see an increase in PP time.

Jack Johnson should be given the green light in Columbus and should put up good numbers

Keep an eye on what happens in Washington. With Wideman UFA, Green RFA, and Carlson RFA. Both Orlov and Carlson should see an increase in ice time
    12 Team HTH Keeper
    (F's G=1 A=1, D G=1 A=1, All Skaters PPG=.5, SHG=.5 Goalies W=2 SO=3)

Dress 8 F, 4 D, 2 G weekly

F's-Marner, Rantanen, Crosby, Panarin, Guentzel, Caufield, Kaprizov, Lundell, Tomasino, Holtz, Pavelski, Zuccarello, Hagel, Dach

D-Makar, Josi, Doughty Andersson, AP, Hutson

G-Hellebuyck, Fleury, Comrie, Kochetkov, Wolf, Primeau, Sogaard

Dobber Sports Star

I guess by "sleeper" I am thinking more of hidden gems, over guys like JJ, Burns, Carlson. Guys that may be scooped off the wire.

But, hey, who am I to complain? I just appreciate the responses to my thread!

I'll toss another one out there - Phillip Larsen in Dallas. Was partnered with Goligoski on the top unit to end the season. If they don't sign anyone, he may be a very deep, coma-like sleeper.

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour

Fleury
    Domingue

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I disagree about Tom Gilbert. This guy just doesn't have the offensive instincts of top offensive d-men. Going to Minnesota won't help him with that. I have Gilbert on my keeper team and I'm looking to trade him.
    My pool
    Goals = 1 point, Assists = 1/2 point, Goals Against = -1/2 point

Fowards: S. Stamkos, J. Neal, M. Moulson, M. Read, N. Foligno, B. Wheeler, L. Stempniak, J. Pavelski, B. Flynn, S. Bernier

D-men: S. Weber, PK Subban, D. Phaneuf, J. Carlson, TJ Brodie, B. Smith, M. Irwin, B. Dillon, K. Cumiskey,

Goalies: Nashville, Chicago, St. Louis

Farm: T. Rattie, R. Johansen, A. Killorn, J. Zucker, J. Akeson, M. Sgarbossa, A. Yogan, M. St. Croix, M. Friberg, E. Gelinas, A. Ness, J. Muzzin, MA Bourdon, S. Harrington, R. Smith, C. Emmerton, M. Mayorov, I. Makarov, P. Maroon

Dobber Sports Stud

yeah sorry loco

here might be a sleeper for next year..

Kris Russel. Hitch seemed to like him and while he is behind AP and Shattenkirk he should see PP2 time
    12 Team HTH Keeper
    (F's G=1 A=1, D G=1 A=1, All Skaters PPG=.5, SHG=.5 Goalies W=2 SO=3)

Dress 8 F, 4 D, 2 G weekly

F's-Marner, Rantanen, Crosby, Panarin, Guentzel, Caufield, Kaprizov, Lundell, Tomasino, Holtz, Pavelski, Zuccarello, Hagel, Dach

D-Makar, Josi, Doughty Andersson, AP, Hutson

G-Hellebuyck, Fleury, Comrie, Kochetkov, Wolf, Primeau, Sogaard

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I think Marc Staal could be a sleeper next season.

Andrej Sekera is another potential sleeper.
    My pool
    Goals = 1 point, Assists = 1/2 point, Goals Against = -1/2 point

Fowards: S. Stamkos, J. Neal, M. Moulson, M. Read, N. Foligno, B. Wheeler, L. Stempniak, J. Pavelski, B. Flynn, S. Bernier

D-men: S. Weber, PK Subban, D. Phaneuf, J. Carlson, TJ Brodie, B. Smith, M. Irwin, B. Dillon, K. Cumiskey,

Goalies: Nashville, Chicago, St. Louis

Farm: T. Rattie, R. Johansen, A. Killorn, J. Zucker, J. Akeson, M. Sgarbossa, A. Yogan, M. St. Croix, M. Friberg, E. Gelinas, A. Ness, J. Muzzin, MA Bourdon, S. Harrington, R. Smith, C. Emmerton, M. Mayorov, I. Makarov, P. Maroon

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I like Jeff Petry from the Oilers. I think hes going to see some big time minutes and PP time and will put up some decent numbers in his first full season with the Oilers.
    I like Jeff Petry alot. But hes still a ways away from really breaking out.

Babs? Great shot. Sure he could be a 40+ defenceman and PP spe******t.

But not next year. Calgary needs more offensive depth

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by digitalmonkey View Post
    I disagree about Tom Gilbert. This guy just doesn't have the offensive instincts of top offensive d-men. Going to Minnesota won't help him with that. I have Gilbert on my keeper team and I'm looking to trade him.
    Interesting. Can you elaborate a bit?

I haven't watched the Oil much over the past couple, but I seem to remember Gilbert ONLY having offensive potential, with terrible defensive presence.

He did put up three consecutive seasons with 30+ points, has scored 13 goals and has hit 45 points in a relatively young career. His last two years have seen a serious decline, but it is hard to gauge the offensive prowess of a guy on the last place team.

He was playing monster minutes in Minny (mistake IMO), especially on the PP so they must see something in his offensive game.

Still, his leash will be short. There are sadly very few options on the wire

Guentzel Tkachuk Larkin
    Couture Palmieri Zucker
    Leivo Joseph Sprong

Barrie Morrissey Montour

Fleury
    Domingue

Dobber Sports Padawan

Justin Braun my sleeper pick. Sharks defensemen. Hes behind a few dmen but i feel he has good potential

Larsen's a great pick, i forget who mentioned him.

Kris Russell also a good one.