Thread: Hot Stove: Aramis Ramirez

Jersey Girl

Default Hot Stove: Aramis Ramirez

Aramis Ramirez hits free agency at the perfect time in his career. He had the healthiest season for himself since 2008 and captured a Silver Slugger award and he is the only big time true starting 3B option available in Free Agency. In October of this year the Cubs exercised their side of a mutual option for 2012 on Ramirez but Ramirez rejected his side thus freeing him up to the open market and available to sign with any club in baseball.

Today the Cubs offered Ramirez arbitration who is a Type B free agent which he will reject. Chicago will get in return when A-Ram signs with a new team a compensatory draft pick sandwiched between Rounds 1 and 2 of the MLB entry level player draft.

Ramirez is 33 years old and seeks a multi-year deal ( specifically a 4 year deal ) to sign with a club for his services. He gets himself onto the DL seemingly every season, however by seasons end one way or another he gets his numbers. He's a 25 HR 90 RBI guy on average. Health is the key for his success. When he is healthy he produces.

The question is where does A-Ram sign this off season? A few teams interested in him are the Detroit Tigers, Los Angeles Angels ( they are publicly denying interest) , Baltimore Orioles and lukewarm interest from the Miami Marlins ( Who aren't they interested in? ) I believe for him and for the Tigers, that makes the most sense for him to land at. Detroit is a contending team on the verge of being close to winning a World Series and they have a glaring hole at 3B that Ramirez would fill admirably. The Orioles seems the least likely destination spot as they are in a " rebuilding" mode and in reality by the time they could be contenders A-Ram will be either retired or at the tail end of his career. Miami, is all over the board this Hot Stove season, so far I believe they have offered every free agent player out there a contract, but how serious are they about spending money? Are they making offers just to tell their fan base, " Hey we are trying here to bring in talent" to appease them during this time of excitement with a new stadium? That's another story in of itself. The Angels , like the Tigers make sense for him to sign on the dotted line. Their current in-house solution is Maicer Izturis, so of course they must be interested in Ramirez. He would be a great fit there with a contending team. The Angels I feel are at the moment more interested in pursuing C.J. Wilson, however if Wilson signs elsewhere look for the Angels to enter in on the Ramirez Sweepstakes. When all is said and done I expect Aramis Ramirez to be wearing a Detroit Tiger uniform for the next 4 seasons. Imagine him in that lineup? A beautiful thing.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

He doesn't hit for power and for extra bases like he once did (three straight 30+ homer seasons from 2004 through 2006), but Ramirez is still capable of 25 homers and 90 RBIs. I tend to avoid him in drafts because of his injury issues. However, if you have a capable backup, 130 games of Aramis Ramirez still has a lot of value. That being said, the production could fall off at any time. He's entering his age-34 season in 2012.