two young starters recently called up to pitch this weekend.

both got their first taste of AA last season, both have four ( 4 ) AAA starts this season. both are rh, white is larger, but both a large enough to avoid 'little righty' issues.

white is ranked the #2 prospect in the indian's system. cobb was un-ranked, but did garner the #19 spot for his work in the southern league last year ( j sands was #20 ).

both control the strike zone well, both have plus fastballs, and both have developing plus off-speed pitches, white relies on a splitter and a slider, cobb has a good change-up. both keep the ball in the park very well using their sinking fast-balls.

baseball america states that white's up-side is a strong #3 starter. perhaps cobb's is less-so, though nothing definitive is yet available from ba.

john sickels likes alex white a lot, also ranking him second in the organization;" 2) Alex White, RHP, Grade B+: A quality inning-eater at worst, and could develop into a genuine ace if all goes well. "

and has this to say about cobb; " 14) Alex Cobb, RHP, Grade B-: In most systems this guy would get a lot more attention and be a Top Ten guy. Keep close track of him in 2011. "

one warning sign i note in cobb's work in AA...120 hits allowed in 119.2 innings. mlb is full of hittable righties with good strikezone control. tampa has few on staff already. cobb's strike-out rate is excellent, that bodes well. he looks like a mid-rotation arm to me, with up-side.

until these past four AAA starts, white's k-rate wasn't so promising. very interested to see if he can come close to these rates the rest of the season. if yes, then his potential looks very good.

if you are in a keeper a.l., give both of these young pitchers a long look. in a one year mixed, i'd take a flier in vance worley first.