Thread: 2 catchers....good idea or no? Napoli/Posada

Canada66

Default 2 catchers....good idea or no? Napoli/Posada

I seem to be faced with this every year in our league. We only have 4 bench spots and I never invest in catchers much. This year I drafted Napoli for $4, however he doesn't seem to be getting the playing time I hoped. When he does play he has been great but I quickly saw my games dropping so I picked up Posada. I relly don't like trying to figure out which guy will play each night.

Long story short...is it really worth carrying 2 catchers? or should I just be happy with the production I get out of Napoli when he does play and invest one of my bench spots in a quality guy who starts every day??

Thoughts..comments?

Thanks, NS

Mike Napoli (Tex - C,1B)
    Prince Fielder (Mil - 1B)
    Brandon Phillips (Cin - 2B)
    Kevin Youkilis (Bos - 1B,3B)
    Derek Jeter (NYY - SS)
    Jacoby Ellsbury (Bos - OF)
    Jayson Werth (Was - OF)
    Matt Holliday (StL - OF)
    Rickie Weeks (Mil - 2B, Util)
    BENCH - Jorge Posada (NYY - C), Ryan Zimmerman (Was - 3B) DL

Roy Oswalt (Phi - SP)
    Matt Cain (SF - SP)
    Dan Haren (LAA - SP)
    Huston Street (Col - RP)
    Brian Fuentes (Oak - RP)
    Hiroki Kuroda (LAD - SP)
    Kyle Farnsworth (TB - RP)
    Drew Storen (Was - RP)
    BENCH - Edwin Jackson (CWS - SP), Ted Lilly (LAD - SP), Colby Lewis (Tex - SP)

Dobber Sports Prodigy

wow, there are 37 catchers with more AB than napoli this year. posada has plenty more, but he's doing little with the opportunities he's getting. unless there's a solid SS on the wire you can use until jeter figures out how to drive the ball (73.6% groundball rate? are you kidding me??), id stick with the two catchers and make sure to check within an hour of gametime for who's starting.

Dobber Sports Rookie

Stick with the two catcher system. Realistically if you were to drop one of the catchers, the guy you pluck off the wire will not replace any of your current positions.
    Keeper League:

F) N.Backstrom, E.Malkin, V.Lecavalier, P.Mueller, A.Mcdonald, B.Boyes, A.Hemsky, S.Horcoff, K.Turris, D.Jeffrey, M.Perreault, C.O'Reilly, S.Upshall, M.Erat, S.Gagne, D.Legwand D) S.Souray, M.Streit, A.Babchuk, T.Gilbert, I.Cole, J.Hillen, M.Methot G) B.Elliott, S.Varlamov, C.Ward, J.Reimer P) N.Kadri, E.Kuznetsov, S.Shirokov, V.Tarasenko, J.Blum, OEL, J.Moore, O.Pavelec

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Your patience with Mike Napoli may very well pay dividends... and soon. Rumor has it that the combination of the injury to Josh Hamilton and the recent promotion of catcher Taylor Teagarden may mean more DH opportunities for Napoli. As you very well know, Napoli has done nothing but hit during his time in Texas. He's earned more playing time, now it seems the Rangers are ready to reward him. That being said, hold on to Jorge Posada until you see an uptick in Napoli's playing time.

Hope that helps!

Mike Schmidt

DobberBaseball Writer