Thread: Any advice for winning a H2H league?

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Any advice for winning a H2H league?

League Info:
    I'm in a 10-team mixed H2H league. (NOT TEAM IN SIG)
    It is a very shallow league (C/1B/2B/3B/SS/OF/OF/OF/Util + 2SP/2RP/3P).
    There are 15 cats! (H/R/HR/RBI/BB/K/SB/AVG + W/L/CG/K/SV/ERA/WHIP).

There are 7 weekly moves allowed... and I have figured how to use them to my benefit by constantly replacing one "flex" player. (MON: Add a bat, TUE: Add a SP, WED: Add a SP, TH: Add a bat, FR: Add SP/RP, SAT: Add SP/RP, SUN: Add whatever I need to win a category).

Long, story short - I think I will have a top two team in the league and can get a bye week and into the top 4 (semi-finals of the H2H).

Here's the situation:
    The H2H playoffs will take place in September, with semi-finals probably 2nd week of SEPT. In hockey leagues, its not always the best team that wins a H2H league... a hot week by any average team can beat a cold week by the best team.

Here's my question:
    How can I prepare to have the strongest team for September?
    *Will young players be better & healthier in September?
    *Are there players who are notorious for playing well in September?
    *Should I try to accumulate top hitting talent... and grab daily SPs?
    *Is it worth looking at schedules (like is COL at home) that far ahead?

Anybody ever gotten deep into this type of H2H September playoff planning?

Dobber Sports Initiate

september baseball #'s are influenced by roster expansion. inexperienced pitchers on bad teams face good hitters on teams still trying to make the post-season. good pitchers feast on AAA hitters. etc.

it is too soon to make meaningful roster moves, but you are on the right track. take a look at the september schedule in late august, note when games will be played between teams going in opposite directions, and see if you can take advantage of a seriously lop-sided match-up.

Dobber Sports Rookie

For H2H league pending on your league minimum innings pitched I've seen some take solid middle relievers that have high K low ERA WHIP and ride that with some good starters. In a shallow league you may find those types of pitchers late in the season but batters you want to have set before the playoffs start.

Dobber Sports Rookie

Just to add to the fine advice given, you may want to target guys on teams that are in the thick of things and refrain from guys that are on teams that are up 10 games a month before trade deadline.
    Keeper League:

F) N.Backstrom, E.Malkin, V.Lecavalier, P.Mueller, A.Mcdonald, B.Boyes, A.Hemsky, S.Horcoff, K.Turris, D.Jeffrey, M.Perreault, C.O'Reilly, S.Upshall, M.Erat, S.Gagne, D.Legwand D) S.Souray, M.Streit, A.Babchuk, T.Gilbert, I.Cole, J.Hillen, M.Methot G) B.Elliott, S.Varlamov, C.Ward, J.Reimer P) N.Kadri, E.Kuznetsov, S.Shirokov, V.Tarasenko, J.Blum, OEL, J.Moore, O.Pavelec