Thread: 10 team Rot keeper Cabrera or Wright

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default 10 team Rot keeper Cabrera or Wright

2nd year 10 team Roto Yahoo! keeper. Our league was 12 teams last year but with the team reduction comes good opportunity. I have 1st overall pick and I have the oh so difficult choice of Cabrera or Wright.
    My current keepers are as follows: J. Bruce, B. Butler, Granderson, Desmond, A. Jones, Sandoval, Utley, Wieters, Gallardo, J. Sanchez, Aardsma, Zobrist

Batting catagories are standard: R,H,HR,RBI,SB,AVG

I'm really leaning towards Wright simply because there's a lack of 3B, notables are A. Ramirez, Prada, and McGehee, I. Stewart. (most of which i expect to be gone by the time the my pick comes up again).
    While there's some interesting 1B options late(Belt, Kila, Ike long shots i know but better than whats availble at 3B) Also available 1B are V. Mart, Morneau, Kornerko, Lind, Napoli, Pena)
    Do I simply take Cabrera for his overall better numbers, other than SB, or do I go with position scarcity and grab Wright?
    Sorry kinda long but better to provide more info. than less right?
    Thanks for any advice that can be given.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

It's a tough call. I'd go with David Wright and try to snag either V-Mart, Morneau, Konerko or even Lind. If I read your post correctly, you're keeping Billy Butler. That way you have Butler and one of the guys I mentioned above at first, and the combination of Wright and Sandoval at third.

It's tough to pass on Cabrera, but if position scarcity matters to you, that's the way to go. If you're a "take the best player available" guy, then go with Miggy.

Let me know if I read your post incorrectly.

Mike Schmidt

DobberBaseball Writer

Dobber Sports Rookie

Thanks for the input Mike. You read correctly.
    I absolutly suck at roto leagues and so I didn't know if I should be taking the better numbers in Cabrera or position scarcity with Wright. I know there's really long shot options at 1B like Ike, Belt, etc and while they won't provide numbers anywhere near Cabrera they are still there as back up. If I don't snag Wright and lose out on the other 3B options I listed I have to heavily rely on Sandoval and as much as I'm a fan that can still be scary a deal if things fall apart again.

GBThrasher

Go with the best and pick Cabrera, Wright is inconsistent from one year to another (I know I own him in my keeper) and try to snatch a 3rd baseman with your second pick someone like McGehee or Prado.

That's what I would do!

Dobber Sports Rookie

Thank you for your input as well Slasher, much appreciated . Well its kinda of a split so I'll close my eyes and pick lol. Nah I'll look it over once more. Drafts coming up soon. Thanks again for the input Mike and Slasher.

Dobber Sports Recruit

Cabrera makes up for the loss of speed with his batting average.
    Wright hits around .290, while Cabrera hits around .325

Cabrera for sure!

Dobber Sports Rookie

While positional eligibility should play a factor, think Miggy is the guy I'd choose. He has the potential to hit 45-50 bombs with a fantastic batting average. Basically Pujols without the steals.
    Keeper League:

F) N.Backstrom, E.Malkin, V.Lecavalier, P.Mueller, A.Mcdonald, B.Boyes, A.Hemsky, S.Horcoff, K.Turris, D.Jeffrey, M.Perreault, C.O'Reilly, S.Upshall, M.Erat, S.Gagne, D.Legwand D) S.Souray, M.Streit, A.Babchuk, T.Gilbert, I.Cole, J.Hillen, M.Methot G) B.Elliott, S.Varlamov, C.Ward, J.Reimer P) N.Kadri, E.Kuznetsov, S.Shirokov, V.Tarasenko, J.Blum, OEL, J.Moore, O.Pavelec

Dobber Sports Rookie

Thanks for the help MVP and DJ. I just did the draft and I overlooked one VERY important factor. The draft was not snaking. (I could've sworn it was). So with that in mind it made things much easier for me. I took Cabrera 1st and managed to snag McGehee. Sorry for leaving out a very important detail, bit embarrassed here. My team is in my sig. Batting wise I'm pretty happy. I don't expect to hold 2 catchers all season long, hopefully one will stand out by midway so I can trade the other. My SP worries me but I like my RP other than Aardsma. Guys with a K next to them were my keepers. Team is in my sig. Sigs not updating.

10 team Yahoo! Roto
    R,HR,RBI,SB,AVG,W,SV,HLD,K,ERA,WHIP
    C: Wieters (K)
    1B: Cabrera
    2B: Hill
    3B: McGehee
    SS: Desmond (K)
    LF: Snider
    CF: Zobrist (K)
    RF: Bruce (K)
    Util X2: Sandoval(K), A. Jones (K)
    BN X5: Butler(K),Granderson(K),Montero(K),Fowler,A. Gordon
    DL: Utley (K)
    SP X5: Gallardo(K),J. Sanchez(K),G. Gonzalez,I. Kennedy,E. Jackson
    RP X2: Aardsma(K), Axford
    P X3: McGee,R. Soriano,Jansen
    BN: Porcello

Dobber Sports Rookie

I like the picks, as opposed to Wright and who would've been available then?
    Keeper League:

F) N.Backstrom, E.Malkin, V.Lecavalier, P.Mueller, A.Mcdonald, B.Boyes, A.Hemsky, S.Horcoff, K.Turris, D.Jeffrey, M.Perreault, C.O'Reilly, S.Upshall, M.Erat, S.Gagne, D.Legwand D) S.Souray, M.Streit, A.Babchuk, T.Gilbert, I.Cole, J.Hillen, M.Methot G) B.Elliott, S.Varlamov, C.Ward, J.Reimer P) N.Kadri, E.Kuznetsov, S.Shirokov, V.Tarasenko, J.Blum, OEL, J.Moore, O.Pavelec

Dobber Sports Rookie

DJ if you mean at 3B the other options were: A. Ramirez, Prada, and McGehee, I. Stewart.

Dobber Sports Rookie

No sorry, I meant if you went with Wright as your first pick, what first baseman could you have picked on your way back?
    Keeper League:

Dobber Sports Rookie

1B options were Morneau, Kornerko, Lind, Napoli, Pena. I had originally posted V. Mart as an option but he got picked up before it was my turn again.