Thread: #1 Overall Prospect... NOT Strasburg?!

goldfish47

Default #1 Overall Prospect... NOT Strasburg?!

Just curious to see if I'm the only one left who does NOT think Strasburg is the best prospect in baseball. I think he's going to be good... possibly even great. *BUT* I think he's over-hyped to the extreme, and I'd like to see about a season's worth of pro success before moving him to the top of my list. (I currently have him #4, so I've certainly had a few sips of the Kool-Aid).

My #1 is Jason Heyward, though I could very easily be talked into moving #1A Buster Posey up to the top spot. I think Heyward will have the better career of the two, but Posey is already one of the better hitting catchers around, while Heyward has some work to do to make it to the top third of Major League OF's.

Dobber Sports Rookie

Although I agree with you, I think if you were to have a prospect draft today, most would choose Strasburg over Heyward, so not totally unjustifiable.

Jersey Girl

There have been some great SP prospects to come along recently, but I always will favor a solid prospect bat before a prospect SP. So many issues with young SP and potential for injury is so much greater than that of a top bat. Strasburg will probably be damn good SP, but im drafting #1 today in a prospect draft, Im puttin Jason Heyward's name on the docket.

goldfish47

Well, it's good to know I'm not alone. I'm an upside guy to the extreme, but I just can't *Quite* justify him #1... Yet!

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

My #1 is Heyward without question. If your talking about upside... he's just been dominating at all levels since he was drafted.

Strasburg has emense upside as well - but I'll take the bat here.

As for Posey being 1A - There is some debate as to wheather he is even the best catching prospect out there right now! Carlos Santana (CLE) and Jesus Montero (C/1B/DH) are also in the running. Until Montero is moved off the position he needs to be considered a C prospect. Though those who have Montero as their answer at C might want to have a back up plan for what appears to be an inevitable move off the plate. C is just such a deep position with Norris / Flowers as well..... its hard to justify Posey as consideration for top dog.

Dobber Sports Rookie

Thumbs up

Actually kind of agree with you only because I think there is less risk in position players than with SP. (Prior was a can't miss pitcher and the consensus #1 but I'm sure the Twins are counting their lucky stars that they didn't think they could sign him so went with Mauer instead).

I'm picking #1 in my minor league draft and would probably pick Heyward if he were available but since he is on a team from last year's draft, I have Strasburg as my #1 pick.