Thread: #1 Pick

cer

Default #1 Pick

I have the number one pick in a roto-league (typical yahoo settings I think) pool. I\'m pretty new to fantasy baseball, and I want to make a good first pick.

It\'s AL only.

I\'m tossing around Cabrera, Sabathia, Sizemore, and Hamilton.

What\'s the best strategy? Some positions better (worth chasing) than others?

We need one of each position, DH, 4 SP, 2 RP and a handful of bench spots (6 I think).

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Dobber Sports Recruit

Default #1 Pick

For me it would be a toss up between Sizemore and Cabrera. I would probably lean towards Sizemore because he\'ll steal you some bases as well as put up power numbers.

when i did my AL only draft I noticed that 2B is pretty deep in the AL. Shortstop brutally shallow... so i would plan ahead on when you want to take one

Dobber Sports All-Star

Default #1 Pick

Cabrera all the way. He will hit for average, power and RBI\'s. he should have a better year this year after figuring out AL pitchers. He\'s good for 1B and 3B, as oppose to the outfielders where there is lots of depth

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default #1 Pick

Take Cabrera, and MM is right, try to get Alexi Ramirez if you can SS is very weak in the AL.

cer

Default #1 Pick

I think I\'ll go with him -- and thanks for the SS advice. Any other pointers? We start drafting via e-mail today (we\'ll try to prolong it over the next few work days), so I\'ll be checking this site regularly.

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default #1 Pick

I actually go Sizemore first and lock up 30 HR and 33 SB. On the turn back, pick a top tier pitcher. The drop off is a lot more drastic when you\'re in an AL only league I would think.
    Keeper League:

F) N.Backstrom, E.Malkin, V.Lecavalier, P.Mueller, A.Mcdonald, B.Boyes, A.Hemsky, S.Horcoff, K.Turris, D.Jeffrey, M.Perreault, C.O'Reilly, S.Upshall, M.Erat, S.Gagne, D.Legwand D) S.Souray, M.Streit, A.Babchuk, T.Gilbert, I.Cole, J.Hillen, M.Methot G) B.Elliott, S.Varlamov, C.Ward, J.Reimer P) N.Kadri, E.Kuznetsov, S.Shirokov, V.Tarasenko, J.Blum, OEL, J.Moore, O.Pavelec

Dobber Sports Recruit

Default #1 Pick

Check if Cabrera is 3B eligible before you draft him, i know he isn\'t on some sites

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default #1 Pick

djkiang wrote:
    I actually go Sizemore first and lock up 30 HR and 33 SB. On the turn back, pick a top tier pitcher. The drop off is a lot more drastic when you\'re in an AL only league I would think.
    I\'m with DJ here.

Default #1 Pick

mm12 wrote:
    Check if Cabrera is 3B eligible before you draft him, i know he isn\'t on some sites
    If I read correctly - Yahoo was the site - and I think he is eligable there.

Dobber Sports Recruit

Default #1 Pick

good eye there porter... yeah I still think Sizemore though

Default #1 Pick

I dont tend to do AL only or NL only pools -

Everytime I see a post where draft selections are being questioned in an AL league. It reminds me just how shallow the AL is in round one!

Albert, Hanley, Wright, Reyes (consensus top 4 are all NL).

Who does become the AL options in round one then?

Sizemore, Longoria, BJUPton, Miggy, ARod, Markakis, sheesh.

cer

Default #1 Pick

It\'s true, it makes the league much shallower, but that\'s exactly why we opted for it. We have 8 poolies, so we wanted to add a bit of challenge. Otherwise, there\'s not much risk in dropping players, because the waiver wire is too stacked.

We opted for AL since almost everybody in the league roots for an AL team (Tigers, Jays, Yankees, and one unhappy Cubs fan).