Thread: [trade] big tex for kotchman and marek

Dobber Sports Ace

Default [trade] big tex for kotchman and marek

rotoworld

wow, i would have thought big tex would have commanded a tad more than kotchman and a potential bullpen filler.

another interesting deal, in a trading season of interesting deals so far.

ps - did none of the gm\'s see the cc trade???
    13 team yahoo roto league keep 17/25
    G,A,P,PPP,PIM,SHP,SOG,FW,W,GAA,SV%,SHO

c-tavares, krejci, gourde, lowry, czarnik, zacha
    lw-lehkonen, vesey, r.smith, hinostroza, heinen
    rw-zuccarello, duclair, sheary, d.brown, nichushkin
    d-letang, krug, gostisbehere, doughty, lindell, slavin, cholowski
    g-fleury, holtby, hutton
    ir-pacioretty, grzelcyk
    farm-batherson, farabee, jokiharju, kaprizov, hawryluk, n.roy, terry, t.thompson, tufte, vesalainen, walman, c.white, bracco

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I can certainly see where this deal brings some negative remarks. Kotchman is not exactly the high potential, bg power hitting 1B that youd expect a team like the braves to get back. But he is consistent, does not K, puts the ball in play (almost to a fault since he doesnt\' walk either) and most importantly he\'s MLB ready and getting better.

Look for consistent .290 20+ HR seasons from him for the forseable future.

In the reliever Marek - I know little about him other than I have read he is a bit of a closer-type potential RP. Atlanta has really been without a closer since Smoltz...

This trade can fill two needs, not terrible, but I too would have expected more.

Maybe not getting a bigtime 1B back means a future move to 1B for Heyward --- I hear he has some good tools for that position as well as good tools for the OF.

Super Moderator

I think the Braves are just reeling right now with all the injuries and crap they\'ve been dealing with and just wanted to get something for Tex before he goes bye bye for nothing.

I also thought they could have got more for him but at least they got a guy in Kotchman who can come in pretty much right away and have a small impact.

Hopefully this trade starts a domino effect.
    We get one of these - Don't waste it.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

smack1919 wrote:
    I think the Braves are just reeling right now with all the injuries and crap they\'ve been dealing with and just wanted to get something for Tex before he goes bye bye for nothing.

I also thought they could have got more for him but at least they got a guy in Kotchman who can come in pretty much right away and have a small impact.

Hopefully this trade starts a domino effect.
    Like you said, they wanted to get something because it was obvious he wasn\'t going to re-sign. They got a decent player in Kotchman and a pitching prospect. This was more about the future than a \"small impact\" now. They know there season is done.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

May be about the future - but if Teixeria walks after the season in Alt - do they not get 2 first round draft picks? ----

the question is whether they are better off with what they got or with the draft picks for the \'future\'