Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Top-10 Picks – Analysis of a 10-Year Period

Dobber Sports Assistant Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Akkei View Post
    Thanks everyone for the comments.

Re the value of the 22nd pick: I am also curious about this. I wonder if holding a pick in the 15-25 range may in the end prove to be almost as valuable as the 8th or 9th overall pick. If so, then trading down for multiple draft picks may prove to be an approach to seriously consider. I may look into it and will post my findings here if I do.
    In many deep drafts I have traded down to get later picks - example :

In the UHL (a 30 team, full roster dynasty) inaugural draft last off season, I traded my 13th overall down to 23rd, to 30th and finally to 50th. In the process, I managed to scoop up some better draft picks in the following rounds alongside high prospect picks.

At 13th overall, they selected Ilya Kovalchuk and at 50th overall I selected Eric Staal.

I used the extra depth gained from the trade down to package Eric Staal in order to land Sidney Crosby.

Obviously didnt work so well this season, but the future looks bright.
    Gates Imbeau
    DobberHockey's HHOF - 2013 Builder's Category
    Twitter: @GM_Gates

Dobber Sports Veteran

I think the 22nd pick will be the best pick of the draft. After all Pittsburgh is the team making the pick.
    Fantrax - Salary cap dynasty - cap hit - H2H each category
    Start: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2UTIL, 2G, 6 Bench, 4IR
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PIM, STG, STA, SOG, FOW, GWG, Hits, BLK, W, GAA, Saves, SV%, SO

C: Getzlaf, Turris, Eakin, ____
    LW: Kunitz, MacArthur, Pacioretty, ____
    RW: Little (C), Tarasenko, Eriksson (LW)
    D: Pietrangelo, JJ, Streit, Brodie, Benn, ____
    G: Lundqvist, Bishop, Holtby

Farm: Grigorenko, H Lindholm, Faksa, Collberg, Grimaldi, Lee, K Hayes, G Carey, Schmaltz
    G: Grubauer, Gudlevskis

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Great feature.
    I've been fond of tiering draft picks too.

1-3. Should be elite in most leagues.
    4-10. Good, should be an NHL player. 50/50 shot at being fantasy-relevant in shallow league (12-16 teams).
    11-30. 50/50 shot at fantasy-relevant in deep league (16+ teams).

These are just my own estimates.
    I think the New England Patriots are famous for trading draft pick value & moving down.
    It would be interesting to see what they've done (though it is crossing sports).

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

This write up and approach is as close to genius as its going to get when talking about fantasy hockey. I was left wanting more, HAHA.. This is so true though if you check out all the facts and numbers..

I love trading mid round picks for double picks later in the draft.. Its a great strategy!!

As far as Pavel Brendl goes, he was such a good young kid in junior. My buddy actually played with him in Calgary and I had a chance to meet Brendl and party with him for a week or so.. The Hitmen went to the memorial cup finals that year and lost to Brian Campbell and the Ottawa 67's in OT in the final game.. Brendl was such a floater though, and scored sooooo many empty net goals, it wasn't even funny. His numbers were so inflated.. If it wasn't for Brad Moran, Brendl wouldn't have had half his goals to be honest.. I knew the Rangers made a huge mistake when they drafted him 4th overall in 99.. But what can you do..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Master

Similar theme to this thread from a couple of years ago.

As the OP said, drafts are a risky thing.

Of course so are lottery tickets but that doesn't seem to slow most of us down.
    /S

~ I'm not a sociopath, it's just that my magnetic personality keeps throwing off my moral compass.~

Victoria DH
    C(3): Athanasiou, Sissons, Zibanejad
    LW(3): Lehkonen, Burakovsky, Hymen
    RW(3): Bjorkstrand, Smith, Palmieri
    F(3): Stepan (C), Bjork (LW), Poehling (C)
    D(6): Carlson, Heiskanen, Bogosian, Edler, Hakanpaa, Fleury
    G(1): Talbot, Sorokin, Varlamov
    Bench: Parise (LW), Motte (C), Richardson (C), Hagg (D)
    IR: Wood, Henrique, Johnson, Dvorak

Prospects: (F) Barre-Boulet, Khovanov, Beckman, Greig, N. Robertson, Fagemo, Tuomalaa, (D) Ceulemans, Hughes, Schneider, Zboril