Thread: THN's playoff pool strategy

I...am your father.

Default THN's playoff pool strategy

So I went to the THN offices today for their pool. Picked up my $50 winnings for finishing second in the regular season, but got a $60 parking ticket. So down $10 (my car's back end was a couple of feet past the 'do not park' pole, but hell it was only for an hour so I chanced it)

Anyway, 10 people in the pool, pick 12, total points. Standard for playoff pools. Participants included Adam Proteau, Ken Campbell, Ryan Kennedy, Jason Kay, Brian Costello and the rest of the gang there.

I picked the No. 9 out of the bucket. By the time my pick came around, the PIT bones were picked clean, but nobody had touched the Rangers or the Preds yet.

I had printed my list off by "team" and in a shallowish pool like this one I had decided to build around three teams. Since I was picking 9th and 12th I would go NYR and NAS. I'll worry about my third team in a later round.

So I went with Brad Richards over Gaborik. Then I went with Radulov. Gaborik was gone by the time it went back to me, but otherwise NYR and NAS was untouched. I did Callahan and Legwand.

Next time around, Stepan, Erat and Hagelin were gone. But I was looking at 1. Stepan 2. Weber 3. Del Zotto 4. Dubinsky. So I grabbed Weber and MDZ - two d-men. Now I have three of each, and felt secure that I could get one more decent player from each team so at this point it was time to jump in on a third team.

Phoenix was untouched. So was LA, OTT and FLA. I decided to go with the hot goalie who is playing against the questionable goalie - so Phoenix over Chicago. I grabbed Ray Whitney and then Radim Vrbata.

Now my strategy was to go with 5 NYR, 4 NAS and 3 PHO - to closer balance out the conferences. But I was surprised as the draft went on at how the Rangers were being snapped up. The Preds too.

When it got back to me again, Dubinsky, Anisimov, Erat, Fisher were all gone. There is nobody on the Rangers I like who are left. Except dark horse Chris Kreider. I knew I could get Kreider last round. So again the strategy shifts: NYR 4, NAS 5, PHO 3, with Kreider as the last round pick.

I selected Hornqvist and then Doan. It comes back to me again it was either take one of the Kostitsyns - and I trust them as far as I can throw them - or Suter. While a Kostitsyn could get 15 points in these playoffs or even more, I thought I would go with the sure thing in Suter - a point every two games. So Suter, then Kreider.

NAS: Radulov, Legwand, Weber, Hornqvist, Suter
    NYR: Richards, Callahan, Del Zotto, Kreider
    PHO: Whitney, Vrbata, Doan

In these types of pools, you can't really go in with a set list. You need to shift strategies practically every two or three rounds. Best bet is to take three different (very different) scenarios into your draft, have them sorted by team. Draft according to the way the wind blows. By the third round, you'll be going by just one list. This is what makes my customizable draft list so perfect.

Hope this helps!
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Kreider over Brian Boyle?
    ESPN-12 team H2H Keeper w. Farm
    C:Crosby,Roy,Sedin,Jokinen,Antropov,Brassard
    LW: Sedin,Lucic,Booth,McGinn,Pacioretty,Benn,
    Tedenby
    RW:Hossa,Fleischmann,Doan,PMB,Frolik
    D:Gonchar,Goligoski,Carlson,Letang,Suter,Yandle,
    Russell,Petry,Kindl
    G:Neuvirth,Lehtonen,Brodeur,M.Smith,Lehner
    Roster: Start 3-C,3-RW,3-LW,3-F,6-D,2-G
    Bench:5 Farm:15
    Stats(skaters):G,A,PPP,SHP,PIM,Hits,SOG,Blocks
    Stats(goalies):W,SV%,GAA

http://ihf.servebeer.com/

I...am your father.

Yeahhhhhh why not. If we're talking about 15 games, then Boyle gets 4-8 points, Kreider gets 0-12. Go for the gusto!

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Giant

last night my plan was nyr and nashville. ended up wit h 5 nashville 4 nyr and 3 devils.
    10 team Full Keeper Roto League
    4C-4LW-4RW-6D-2G-5bench-unlimited farm.

C= eichel,horvat,malkin,kuznetsov
    LW= forsberg,kreider,lee,b.tkchuch,hertle,granlund
    RW= reinhart,radulov,hoffman,laine,hayes
    D= doughty,ghostebehere,karlsson,jones,klefbom,dahlin ,skjei
    G= price,murray,grubauer,georgiev,ullmark,samsonov

under250gp=nichushkin,tuch,mathesson,marino,pujuja rvi,hosang,terry,andersson,j.hughes,patrik,crouse, zadina,podkolzin,k.miller,nedeljkovic,kravtsov,hay ton

--G,A,P,PPP,SHP,GWG,PIMS,+/-,SOG,hits,FOW,blks-Wins,GAA,SV%,saves,SO

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

richards over gaborik? hoping for another conn smythe performance eh?

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    richards over gaborik? hoping for another conn smythe performance eh?
    Going by Gabby's last couple of postseasons

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    I picked the No. 9 out of the bucket. By the time my pick came around, the PIT bones were picked clean, but nobody had touched the Rangers or the Preds yet.

I had printed my list off by "team" and in a shallowish pool like this one I had decided to build around three teams. Since I was picking 9th and 12th I would go NYR and NAS. I'll worry about my third team in a later round.

Now I have three of each, and felt secure that I could get one more decent player from each team so at this point it was time to jump in on a third team.

Phoenix was untouched. So was LA, OTT and FLA. I decided to go with the hot goalie who is playing against the questionable goalie - so Phoenix over Chicago. I grabbed Ray Whitney and then Radim Vrbata.

Now my strategy was to go with 5 NYR, 4 NAS and 3 PHO - to closer balance out the conferences. But I was surprised as the draft went on at how the Rangers were being snapped up. The Preds too.

When it got back to me again, Dubinsky, Anisimov, Erat, Fisher were all gone. There is nobody on the Rangers I like who are left. Except dark horse Chris Kreider. I knew I could get Kreider last round. So again the strategy shifts: NYR 4, NAS 5, PHO 3, with Kreider as the last round pick.

NAS: Radulov, Legwand, Weber, Hornqvist, Suter
    NYR: Richards, Callahan, Del Zotto, Kreider
    PHO: Whitney, Vrbata, Doan

In these types of pools, you can't really go in with a set list. You need to shift strategies practically every two or three rounds. Best bet is to take three different (very different) scenarios into your draft, have them sorted by team. Draft according to the way the wind blows. By the third round, you'll be going by just one list. This is what makes my customizable draft list so perfect.

Hope this helps!
    Wow.
    I'm completely on board with your draft strategy.

i) Accept that you can't jump on the PIT train.
    ii) Get the top players on the next best team, and have the best collections from those teams. (i.e. They do well, you beat everybody else's collection of those teams)
    iii) Do the same for a 3rd, darkhorse, team.

Perfect draft, IMO.
    Even if you don't win... I'd give the strategy/execution full marks.
    Big thumbs up. (and I don't like giving REP to the big cheeses... but... very nicely done - great, great advice)

Dobber Sports Ninja

Yeahhhhhh why not. If we're talking about 15 games, then Boyle gets 4-8 points, Kreider gets 0-12. Go for the gusto!
    You must be kicking yourself right about now

Dobber Sports Immortal

But he's gotta be happy that none of his players are down 3-0 right now..

Id love to haev that team.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    But he's gotta be happy that none of his players are down 3-0 right now..
    What are you insinuating???

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    What are you insinuating???
    That Dobber is going to look like a friggin genious to THN readers who maybe don't come on these forums and see Dobber's explanation haha.

I...am your father.

Did anyone on the planet (besides me) draft Chris Kreider? I look like a genius lol

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Did anyone on the planet (besides me) draft Chris Kreider? I look like a genius lol
    Nothing like a good chest-thumping, eh?

Dobber Sports Genius

Nice, so where do you stand in the pool now?
    Sites: www.twitter.com/tsgraveline tsgraveline.blogspot.com thesharkremarks.blogspot.com

Team 1:10 Multi-Cat Roto league

C- Malkin,Giroux,Thornton Galchenyuk, Schenn, Berglund, Eller
    LW- Hall,Ovechkin, E.Kane Saad
    RW- Seguin, Stewart, PAP
    D- Subban,Phaneuf Keith, OEL, Hedman,
    G- Pavelec,Hiller Lindback, Theodore, Lehner

Team 2:24 H2H League Multi-Cat

C- Weiss, Galchenyuk, Desharnais, Vitale
    LW- Parise, Bailey, Torres, King, Bissonnette
    RW- Ovechkin, Clowe, Asham, Gagner
    D- Boyle, Klesla, Souray, Hjalmarsson, Niskanen, Hickey, Lovejoy, Potter
    G-Holtby, Halak