Voters
179. This poll is closed
  • Alexander Ovechkin

45 25.14%
  • Sidney Crosby

134 74.86%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: [Cage Match Tournament] #1 Ovechkin vs. #2 Crosby

May sound a bit counter-intuitive but I think Crosby is #1 because of his concussion issue. Framed a different way, I've not seen a player hold his fantasy value so high for so long despite concerns of potential career ending injury.

And that's not even getting into upside, compete level, achievements, etc...

Just my slanted outlook.

EDIT: just to clarify. i'm looking at this from a commodities standpoint. The issue to me is value in a fantasy hockey pool. Not career longevity, potential upside, but value (ie "what is player X's worth on this particular date in time).

In pools and conversations that i have been witness to, GMs refused to move Crosby (while he was injured) not due to any "selling low" concerns, but instead because his upside is so ridiculously high it was worth the risk (holding onto him). That's value that not many (if any) other players can boast.
    Last edited by Bomm Bastic; April 4, 2012 at 10:04 AM.
    @SmittysRant

The Great One

To me, this is like the Lemieux vs Gretzky debate, or the Orr vs Lidstrom debate.

Some might argue that Lemieux (or Orr) had a higher fantasy value because they were (arguably) the more talented players. Compare them to Crosby, if you will.

Others would argue that Gretzky (or Lidstrom), obviously not much less talented (if at all), had higher fantasy value because of their durability, combined with the talent. Compare them to Ovechkin, if you will.

I'm not saying that Crosby will turn into a Lemieux or Orr, but the potential certainly is there. And for the same reason I would have taken Gretzky over Lemieux or Lidstrom over Orr (if that were possible), I would take Ovechkin over Crosby.

Of course this all assumes Crosby will become a certified band-aid boy, which is by no means even close to a certainty. Maybe he has truly put his injury concerns behind him. I sure hope so. I truly like Crosby and enjoy what he brings to the game of hockey. I just worry that he will have repeated health issues and therefore I'd be more content taking Ovechin over Crosby.

Of course the other assumption I am making is that Ovechkin returns to form, which he may not (though I think he will).

No matter how you look at it, this is a very subjective debate.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

I voted for Led Zeppelin.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Master

AO has the weight of the world on him now. You don't see him riding carts and almost decapitating himself. You don't see him shouting " I swear gaa!". You don't ever see that big ole shit eating grin that he has. The guy seems broken. I wonder if he suffers from depression. I miss the ole AO and I hope to gaa that he comes back.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic_Wedgy View Post
    AO has the weight of the world on him now. You don't see him riding carts and almost decapitating himself. You don't see him shouting " I swear gaa!". You don't ever see that big ole shit eating grin that he has. The guy seems broken. I wonder if he suffers from depression. I miss the ole AO and I hope to gaa that he comes back.
    Some people think he has dabbled in the snow far too much.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Some people think he has dabbled in the snow far too much.
    I almost dabbled myself when I saw this thread was brought back to life.