Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pascal Leclaire is Overrated.

I...am your father.

Default Pascal Leclaire is Overrated.

I have to speak up here. But first let me preface the following by saying that Pascal Leclaire has always had the talent to be an average starting goaltender in the NHL. He is a Band-Aid Boy - if it\'s not one injury it\'s another - but, injuries aside he has had the ability to be, well, average.

This season he has reached his ability. He has had a fantastic year and has become an average goalie. His numbers are absolutely stellar, but that does not say to me - nor should it say to you - that he belongs with the greats.

He is not a Vezina Trophy candidate as The Hockey News hints in their latest issue (not to mention numerous other columnists).

Why? Because he has an awesome defensive team in front of him who have bought into a defensive coach\'s system! Just look at Freddie Norrena, the backup. Despite his save percentage going down sharply, his goals against average is identical to last year. His play is much poorer, yet his GAA remains decent.

That\'s the team.

Put an average goalie behind a strong defensive team and you get an overrated goalie with strong numbers.

Enter Leclaire.

His 2.18 GAA is fantastic. His .922 SV% is incredible. His eight shutours are impressive. But c\'mon. Put him with the Leafs and his numbers would be 3.18, .822 and 0 shutouts. Put him with an average team like Buffalo and the Sabres would be doing worse.

First 19 games this season:
    10-5-2, 1.82, .934, six shutouts - WOW.

Last 24 games, his numbers are as they should be, i.e. \"average\":
    10-8-2, 2.47, .914, two shutouts - ho hum.

If I own him, I\'m trading him in my fantasy league.

Now let\'s ignore the Vezina-talk garbage, ok?

B)
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Prodigy

and the sheriff arrives to lay down the law.

note to self: leclaire = overrated
    12 team H2H keeper
    12F, 6D, 2G, 5 bench (protect 8,9, 10, or 11, only 1 G)

F&D: G (2x), A, PPP, PIM, Hit, Blk, +/-
    G: W, GAA, SV%, GAA

F: Aho, Connor, MacKinnon, Robertson, Boldy, Cozens, Thomas, Eriksson Ek, Pacioretty, Schwartz, Strome, Wilson, Foligno, Novak,

D: Ekblad, Montour, Edvinsson, Krug, Xhekaj, Hronek, Gudas,

G: Jarry, Markstrom, Gustavsson, Korpisalo

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Dobber- I agree with what you said about him not belonging with the greats. Im not sure if you mean the guys like Patrick Roy but that\'s what i assume. Thats about the only place where you and i agree on Leclaire.

First off,Why is he being crucified for being on a really good defensive team? You said it yourslf, \"he\'s having a fantastic season\". He\'s amongst the leaders in every goalie category. How does that not merit a Vezina trophy consideration THIS SEASON? Most goalies that win the Vezina are on really good defensive teams. That\'s just the way it is.

And who cares what he\'s done or not done in the past? Who cares if he\'s a band-aid boy? He\'s been pretty healthy this season. That\'s all the Vezina and my argument is about: THIS ONE SEASON.

You should just be giving him his due dilligence. The same cases you are making against him can be made for any goalie on a defensive team.

You bring up the Toronto sucking and how he would be below average if he played for them. You can say the same thing for Marty Brodeur! If you took him out of that defensive cocoon in New Jersey and stuck him in Toronto he wouldn\'t be within 100 games of the goalie wins record or within at least 50 of the shutouts record. His numbers would suffer greatly and he would be exposed and not glorified as some \"goalie god\". Talk about being a beneficiary of his team\'s defensive system and a defensive minded coach.

It\'s funny how you brought up Norrena and it seems to contradict your argument. If Leclaire is such an average goalie and his team is the only reason that he is even being considered for the Vezina, shouldn\'t Norrena\'s numbers be better too? Does Columbus just decide to take it easy on Defense when Norrena is in net? I dont get it. You\'re not giving Leclaire his credit.

I have no idea how Leclaire is going to do in the future. He will probably fall back down to earth like you said. All im saying is that, for this one season, give the man his props.

Dobber Sports Novice

That is why I traded the both goalies from Blue Jackets for Zetterburg and Budji.. Not sure if the Gm was toasted or not. My goalie\'s aren\'t the strongest in my league but the rest of my team is
    +/-.gls,assit,Dgls,Dassit,GWG,PPG,PIM,SV%,GAA,Wins
    8FD,4D,2G 22 players total,Salary Cap of 58million
    Shannon ,Malkin,Connolly,Peverley,Vermette,Frolov,Moulson,
    Stewart, Tanguay,Downie,Umberger,
    Foster, M Green, Jov,Kaberle,Gilroy,Letang,
    Biron, Huet,Conklin, ,Theodore

I...am your father.

NYR - I\'m not crucifying Leclaire - I\'m crucifying the clowns who are putting him on a pedestal. Sorry if it came across differently.

Regarding Norrena - as I said in the rant, he is having a horrible year. That is evidenced by his save percentage. Yet despite a horrible save percentage - worthy of being sent to the minors - his GAA remains the same as last year. The team is playing a good system.

B)

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Veteran

Thanks Dobber! Your rant makes a lot of sense!

I\'ve been watching LeClaire\'s number this season and wondering if I was missing the boat on a good thing, but somehow; I could never bring myself to pull the trigger and go after him! B)

I\'ve been burned by \"HGS\" before, so I\'ve been leary of buying into the LeClaire hype, but at the same time, I remember that he was projected as a franchise goalie when they drafted him, so part of me kept wondering if I was watching that happen (sometimes it\'s hard to stay rational when you\'re watching Fleury, and Miller play like they did earlier in the season! Luckily I resisted the temptation to make the Fleury for LeClaire trade, and took the Nabokov for Miller instead.
    CBS 8 team keeper(5-8) - Points only

C: Tavares, Duchesne, Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins
    LW: Parise, Benn, Neal
    RW: Kessel, Giroux, Stewart
    D: Green,Karlson, Carlson, Whitney, Edler, White
    G: Rinne, Lundqvist
    2LW,2C,2RW,4D,1G pts.= G=2, PPG=3, SH=5, A=1, W=3, S=.2, GA=-1, SO=4,

(Tired of watching today's trophys pass you buy? Waiting for a tomorrow that may never come? Why not win NOW? ...Ask about our "Pre-owned vets for prospects" program, and start winning TODAY!)

Dobber Sports Padawan

i couldn\'t agree more with Dobber on most of his Leclair points. However, as long as he stays on a great defensive team and has a great coach he will be a great fantasy goalie. After all, is this not a fantasy hockey site ?
    Championships

Ottawa Sun regular season champion.
    Yahoo.champion
    Scoresheet championship

I...am your father.

coldsquad2002 wrote:
    i couldn\'t agree more with Dobber on most of his Leclair points. However, as long as he stays on a great defensive team and has a great coach he will be a great fantasy goalie. After all, is this not a fantasy hockey site ?

In general, yes. Si, Senor! But two things to consider here:

1) Leclaire is a BandAid Boy
    2) Steve Mason

Leclaire may only have a minimal lifespan in Columbus. And without Columbus...he\'s average. He\'s 15th out of 30 goalies.

B)

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Dutchy1970 wrote:
    That is why I traded the both goalies from Blue Jackets for Zetterburg and Budji.. Not sure if the Gm was toasted or not. My goalie\'s aren\'t the strongest in my league but the rest of my team is
    i dont know whether to laugh at his stupidity... or call the cops on you for robbing him.... :blink:
    that could be the greatest (worst) trade i have seen since the sharks got Thornton for crap. Great job!! :woohoo:

but dobber, serious question (well, for anybody really). I am in a dynasty league with 11 ppl and i have Leclaire. Obviously i am not getting Zetterberg for him, not am i getting a top 5 goalie, or a top 25 forward (lets be realistic here). Now, like you said, Leclaire DOES play for a great defensive team, and a great defensive coach in Hitchcock. Should i look to move him for some middle tier guy like a Biron in goal, or a forward like Dumont? Or would you rather hang on to him?

My other goalies are Miller-Lundqivst-Harding.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

With goalies like that, you don\'t need to keep him but I would think that you\'d be able to get a fairly good return on him from someone who is chasing a money spot for this year.

Dobber Sports Novice

The fantasy-worthy fact, though, is that he does play for a defensively-minded coach, behind a team D that has improved greatly after just one season under Hitchcock. Mason may well be the G of the future in Columbus, but that is at least a couple of seasons down the road.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Similar arguments (among many others) are levied against Martin Brodeur at brodeurisafraud.blogspot.com

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Guy Incognito wrote:
    Similar arguments (among many others) are levied against Martin Brodeur at brodeurisafraud.blogspot.com
    Because they\'re true.

Dobber Sports Ninja

And while all of these people keep slamming Brodeur hell just quietly beak almost all of the significant goaltender records in the NHL.

I...am your father.

Guy Incognito wrote:
    Same situation, except Brodeur was probably destined to be a Top 5 goalie, but under an NJ system throughout his career and luck with his health (VERY healthy) he has numbers that will never be beat. The Devils made him No.1 when on the Leafs he would be No.5 or so each year.