Thread: 02/17/12 - Studs & Duds

Dobber Sports Master

Default 02/17/12 - Studs & Duds

Despite having nearly half the league in action, Friday was a rather meagre day, underwhelming relative to the previous nights. Nonetheless, there were still 3 performances that stood out for the right reasons, and 3 performances that stood out for the wrong reasons. Here are your Studs and Duds for Friday, February 17, 2012.

Studs

3) Peters To The Rescue

To say that Justin Peters rarely plays would be too kind. The backup goaltender for the Carolina Hurricanes had only played 2 games entering Friday night, mostly due to the fact that Cam Ward is the only reason the Hurricanes are even close to winning many nights. In his 2 starts, Peters allowed 9 goals on 79 shots, amounting for 2 losses. However, his effort against the San Jose Sharks was much different. Peters stopped 35 of 37 shots to lead the Hurricanes to a 3-2 victory. His .946 save percentage carried Carolina to an unlikely win, despite being out-shot and mostly outplayed.

2) Taking it to the Brookbank

Sheldon Brookbank's NHL career has not been one of much offensive productivity. The 31 year old defenceman has scored 1 goal in 252 games, and not one goal since the 2008-2009 season. However, when the time was needed Brookbank delivered. In the dying minutes of the 3rd period, Brookbank pounced on a puck in the slot and drilled home his 1st goal in 3 years to send the Anaheim Ducks to overtime against the New Jersey Devils. While the team lost in shootout, Brookbank gained them an extra point, which is critical if they want to continue to hang on for dear life for the final playoff spot in the Western Conference.

1) Pavel Paves the Way

The Detroit Red Wings have been continuing to dominate at home, winning their 21st straight earlier in the week. While the record has been broken, the Wings are still trying to win every game possible. With minimal time remaining, the Nashville Predators were threatening to break the historic winning streak, and the game was destined to go to overtime. Pavel Datsyuk had other plans. With only 5 seconds remaining on the clock, Datsyuk notched his 16th goal of the season, and the Detroit Red Wings won 2-1 to keep the streak alive. This was Datsyuk's second point of the night, and it couldn't have come at a more opportune time.

Duds

A note on the "Duds". Reviewing the games, there were no players that had a rating of under -2, no goalies that played abysmal, and there were no teams that were absolutely blown out of the water. However, there were 3 plays that stood out as the "worst plays of the day". Here are your dud plays of the day:

3) This Oughta Hurt My Value

Ryan Suter is good, but the manner in which he gets turned inside-out by Pavel Datsyuk is embarrassing.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...d=35&id=158449

2) Shootout Woes: Ryan Miller

There were no legitimate videos of these separate shootout incidents, but skip to the 4:22 mark of this video and watch the two attempts that Ryan Miller cannot save.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...=sb:highlights

Both were shots that could've easily been stopped, yet Miller lets them both squeak into the net. As a result, the Sabres lost the game 4-3 in a shootout.

1) The Hunter becomes the Victim

Words cannot describe the hilarity of this scene. Chris Kelly charges towards Blake Wheeler, only to be knocked down easily. End result? Kelly gets a charging penalty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV10SAiNcoI
    Last edited by TK12555; February 18, 2012 at 10:20 AM.
    "We've had a couple shakers in this place. This year we haven't had the time. We had a couple good ones last year, right?" - Phil Kessel

Dobber Sports Ninja

That Kelly charging minor was hilarious. Funniest part about it was how Wheeler laid Kelly out on a hit immediately before, then Kelly went for revenge and got pwnd.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Uhmmm - Peters actually stopped 35 of 37 in the 3-2 win and his save percentage was a robust .946 - nice game no doubt.

Anyway - I don't know how you can let Miller off the hook as a dud on this day - .842 on 19 shots and then the shootout - bad!!!

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    Uhmmm - Peters actually stopped 35 of 37 in the 3-2 win and his save percentage was a robust .946 - nice game no doubt.

Anyway - I don't know how you can let Miller off the hook as a dud on this day - .842 on 19 shots and then the shootout - bad!!!
    Sorry about the Peters typos, both fixed.

As for Miller, I watched the game and I felt that he didn't play that bad. He made some nice saves and wasn't a reason for the loss last night. However, his shootout was awful so I thought that was worth mentioning.
    "We've had a couple shakers in this place. This year we haven't had the time. We had a couple good ones last year, right?" - Phil Kessel

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Yeah I didn't see the game - no big deal - I think you guys do a tremendous job with these Studs and Duds - always enjoy the read.