Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Hockey Pool Geek - Tips and Tricks

Dobber Sports Star

Great catch. Fixed.

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by fantasyhockeygeek View Post
    Yahoo positions are updated.

Horrorfan, they're based on per-game numbers over the last several seasons applied to the GP projection. There was an error in FOW which has juste been fixed.
    Thanks FHG.

Dobber Sports Newbie

how about NHL.COM positions? when will those be updated in FHG?

Dobber Sports Star

NHL.com positions will be fixed today!

The Wolverine

Hey FHG, just curious on your thoughts on these two players. Just to help me understand the rankings a bit more. 14 team league. W,SV,GAA,SV%.

Player A: 68GP, 34W, 1763SV, 2.36GAA, .919SV%, FHG value=96
    Player B: 61GP, 34W, 1627SV, 2.31GAA, .923SV%, FHG value=106

Why is Player B more valuable? Do the slightly better ratios outweigh that difference in saves? Is 'per game' production (SV/G) a factor? Any other reasons?
    How much worse would Player B have to perform so that Player A is more valuable?

Obviously I don't expect too much detail regarding your formulas, but just to give me an idea what would shift the rankings more one way or the other. Thanks.
    Last edited by horrorfan; September 19, 2013 at 4:59 PM.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

First off, great discussion in this thread!

Okay, I can be a dim bulb at times. Feeling one of those moments today preparing for a few drafts. With a lot of info available I'm trying to balance HPG scores and Dobbers draft guide.

1. When using the draft guru, the goal is to draft the players with the highest HPG score as late as possible, correct?

2. In light of the previous discussions, if I am able to amass many players with high HPG scores that cover a balanced team (not overloading on say... centers), I should fair pretty well for the season, correct?

Thanks for the hard work you all put in at HPG!
    H2H (10 Team): G, A, PIM, PPP, SOG, Hits, Blocked Shots - W, GAA, Sv%, SO
    Keep 4; Play 2C, 2RW, 2LW, 1F, 4D, 1UTL, 2G

C: Crosby, Johansen, Stepan, Johnson
    RW: Simmonds, Backes, Toffoli, Okposo, Brouwer
    LW: Ovechkin, Lucic, Landeskog, Palat
    D: Karlsson, Josi, Shattenkirk, Gudas, Parayko
    G: Holtby, Allen, Talbot

Dobber Sports Star

horrorfan, I guess the answer is that standard deviation in each stat among the population of owned goalies makes 0.05 in GAA and 0.004 in SV% more valuable than 136 saves.

Gern, yes that's absolutely right, provided you're using the individual category targets to ensure that your team is well balanced across the scoring categories. So you need to be balanced by position and by scoring category while maximizing FHG value -- if you can do that, you're way ahead of the competition.

The Wolverine

horrorfan, I guess the answer is that standard deviation in each stat among the population of owned goalies makes 0.05 in GAA and 0.004 in SV% more valuable than 136 saves.
    Ok, thanks FHG. However, how would I use that information to determine what would cause the rankings to change so that Player A is more valuable - or the flip side, Player B is less valuable? Aside from trial and error, of course.

Dobber Sports Star

That's what the What If? tool is for -- mess around to your heart's content!

The Wolverine

That's what the What If? tool is for -- mess around to your heart's content!
    Oh yeah, forgot about that. Thanks.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Gern, yes that's absolutely right, provided you're using the individual category targets to ensure that your team is well balanced across the scoring categories. So you need to be balanced by position and by scoring category while maximizing FHG value -- if you can do that, you're way ahead of the competition.

Thanks for the response. We use Yahoo as our platform. It would probably be pretty smart to write down the stats of the team that won the league and each category. Then, I assume, you could enter that into FHG and draft to those numbers?

Dobber Sports Star

Hi Gern,

In the Draft Guru we give general guidance with the targets. In the Team Evaluation tool, you can enter the actuals from the season before if you like, or just enter whatever other targets.

A word of warning: preseason projections for the number of points that will be scored in the NHL in a given season always exceed the real number, so entering the actuals might actually be a bit misleading. Just to be certain, I'd bump them all by at least 10%.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Hi Gern,

In the Draft Guru we give general guidance with the targets. In the Team Evaluation tool, you can enter the actuals from the season before if you like, or just enter whatever other targets.

A word of warning: preseason projections for the number of points that will be scored in the NHL in a given season always exceed the real number, so entering the actuals might actually be a bit misleading. Just to be certain, I'd bump them all by at least 10%.
    If I change the numbers in the Evaluation tool, will those changes transfer to the Guru?

Just a catch here: you have Erik Karlsson playing for Carolina not Ottawa.
    It would also be super Gucci if in the Guru I could drag/drop players into the slots I choose. Example: I could put Giroux in the RW position instead of the C position. I know I can put them where ever I like, but only when I draft them, not once they're on the roster.

*Edit: Had my first live draft last night. The Guru worked like a charm! Two years ago I stuck with the Guru and won my league, last year I didn't use it at all and ended up last. Pretty sure I got a solid squad last night! Thanks again FHG!
    Last edited by Gern Blansten; September 25, 2013 at 9:08 AM.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Does anyone have any experience using custom projections in the fantasyhockeygeek website? Whenever I import custom projections, I never can get the multiple eligibilities a player may have. Switching to any of the "historical projections" solves this problem and shows the multiple eligibilities, but sort of defeats the purpose. Does anyone know how to solve this?

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Slaxys View Post
    Does anyone have any experience using custom projections in the fantasyhockeygeek website? Whenever I import custom projections, I never can get the multiple eligibilities a player may have. Switching to any of the "historical projections" solves this problem and shows the multiple eligibilities, but sort of defeats the purpose. Does anyone know how to solve this?
    Yeah, I'm having the same issue here. I found it just before my draft last week, but haven't send any message to FHG and his crew since it was too late. But it's definitely on my list to check in advance for next year.

I'm sure FHG will chime in, but let me know if you hear from him directly.