Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Hockey Pool Geek - Tips and Tricks

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Thumbs up on the upgrades to site navigation guys - feel like a kid getting a new toy at Christmas. Very nice.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Hey I have been messing around with the hockey pool geek in preparation for my draft. One goalie category that we use is GA where fewer goals allowed is better. I might be looking at it wrong but it appears that FHG rates goalies with a more goals allowed better. Is this accurate? Anything I can do to adjust my rankings?

Thanks in advance.
    14 Team H2H Pts.
    4G, 2A, 1+/-, 1PPP, 0.3SOG, 0.5Hits, 0.5BS
    5W, 0.2SV, -1GA, 4SO
    15 Man Roster: 6F, 3D, 2G, 4B, 2IR

[F]: E. Malkin, T. Seguin, J. Voracek, A. Radulov, J. Neal, A. Kopitar, L. Draisaitl, J. Silfverberg, B. Horvat
    [D]: D. Byfuglien, B. Seabrook, Z. Werenski, K. Letang
    [G]: T. Rask, T. Griess
    [IR]: A. Barkov

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by kiddchr View Post
    Hey I have been messing around with the hockey pool geek in preparation for my draft. One goalie category that we use is GA where fewer goals allowed is better. I might be looking at it wrong but it appears that FHG rates goalies with a more goals allowed better. Is this accurate? Anything I can do to adjust my rankings?

Thanks in advance.
    Did you adjust for goals against to be "less is better" in the settings for your league?
    14-Team H2H Limited Keeper League

Rosters: 3C, 5W, 4D, 1U, 2G, 5B, 2IR+, 1NA
    Keep: 4 F, 2 D, 1 G
    Skater Stats: G (3), A (2), +/- (0.3), PIM (0.4), PPP (0.5), SHP (1), GWG (1), SOG (0.3), Hits (0.1), Blks (0.25), FW (0.05)
    Goalie Stats: W (5), SV (0.3), GA (-2), SHO (2)

C: Crosby, Zegras
    W: Pastrnak, Keller

D: Karlsson, Montour
    G:Oettinger
    IR+:
    NA:

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Go into your league then edit, then edit category weights and toggle to GA less is better as rjfisheh83 suggests.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Thanks a lot. I'll try your suggestions.
    14 Team H2H Pts.
    4G, 2A, 1+/-, 1PPP, 0.3SOG, 0.5Hits, 0.5BS
    5W, 0.2SV, -1GA, 4SO
    15 Man Roster: 6F, 3D, 2G, 4B, 2IR

[F]: E. Malkin, T. Seguin, J. Voracek, A. Radulov, J. Neal, A. Kopitar, L. Draisaitl, J. Silfverberg, B. Horvat
    [D]: D. Byfuglien, B. Seabrook, Z. Werenski, K. Letang
    [G]: T. Rask, T. Griess
    [IR]: A. Barkov

Dobber Sports Guru

does anybody else intentionally leave out +/- from their league configuration so that it doesn't affect the outcomes disproportionately, or is that just me?

Dobber Sports Star

It's already "downweighted" to 30% of it's true value (as are SHG, SHA, SHP, GWG, SO) in forward-looking stat sets so you might be overcompensating there, UW.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Thumbs up to down-weighting volatile stats.
    I concur.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by fantasyhockeygeek View Post
    It's already "downweighted" to 30% of it's true value (as are SHG, SHA, SHP, GWG, SO) in forward-looking stat sets so you might be overcompensating there, UW.
    ah, beauty, i did not know that. thanks!

Administrator

And this is why FantasyHockeyGeek is the absolute cats pajamas. Always ahead of the curve.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Apprentice

this is very neat. i always two-three leagues with different sets of cats (one all inclusive, one without gwg and shp, one without gwg shp and SO) to get a grasp at a players value of multiple levels. but wiith accurately-rated cats, that will save me some time this year!!!

thanks
    Keeper league H2H weekly (12 teams, 22P, 12K)
    9 Skater stats: P, G, +/-, PPG, PPP, GWG, Shots, Hits, BS -- 4 Goalie stats: W, SO, Save%, GAA%
    C: Dubois, Hischier, Patrick
    W: Rakell, Pastrnak, Ferland, Ho-Sang
    D: Dumba, Klingberg, Rielly, Klefbom
    G: Raanta, Grubauer
    Bench: Hart, C. Anderson, Kinkaid, M. Smith, Werenski, Myers, Zadina, Ferland, Ho-Sang,

The Wolverine

Hey FHG,

I have my roto league set up in there, with the cats G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,SOG,FOW,Hits and Blocks. When I look at the rankings for LW, I notice that the top four are: Ovechkin, Neal, Zetterberg and....Ott. Now I know that a player who contributes well in peripheral categories (PIM,Hits,FOW) on top of some offense is valuable, but 4th out of all LW? That's overvaluing him IMO as I feel that those peripheral categories are more easily found elsewhere/later in drafts etc (depending on league depth/structure, of course). I don't think they should be weighted equally (relatively speaking) as more offensive categories, especially PPP, which his is quite low. So, how are those categories weighted? Thanks.
    Last edited by horrorfan; August 13, 2013 at 5:47 AM.

Dobber Sports Star

Now I know that a player who contributes well in peripheral categories (PIM,Hits,FOW) on top of some offense is valuable, but 4th out of all LW? That's overvaluing him IMO as I feel that those peripheral categories are more easily found elsewhere/later in drafts etc (depending on league depth/structure, of course). I don't think they should be weighted equally (relatively speaking) as more offensive categories, especially PPP, which his is quite low.
    I suppose you're entitled to your opinion, HF. I really couldn't disagree with it more!

Mathematically, roto points in one scoring category are just as valuable as roto points in another. If your waiver-level LW is putting up 25 PIM, 10 FOW, 25 hits, then Ott's contribution to those categories (especially FOW) overshadows his lack of contribution to scoring. He's likely to put up something around 80 PIM (+55), 800+ FOW (+790), and 150 hits (+125). That is massive. Just because you believe that those categories are more easily found elsewhere/later doesn't affect the value they provide.

One needs to manage their team to get the right balance across the categories in question, but that doesn't play into player valuation.

As for weighting, mathematically, a category is a category. We are in the habit of downweighting particularly volatile ones (as mentioned above) but you'll have a tough time convincing me that one standard deviation in the goals category is more valuable than one standard deviation in any other category.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Hey FHG,

I have my roto league set up in there, with the cats G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,SOG,FOW,Hits and Blocks. When I look at the rankings for LW, I notice that the top four are: Ovechkin, Neal, Zetterberg and....Ott. Now I know that a player who contributes well in peripheral categories (PIM,Hits,FOW) on top of some offense is valuable, but 4th out of all LW? That's overvaluing him IMO as I feel that those peripheral categories are more easily found elsewhere/later in drafts etc (depending on league depth/structure, of course). I don't think they should be weighted equally (relatively speaking) as more offensive categories, especially PPP, which his is quite low. So, how are those categories weighted? Thanks.
    The biggest thing I've had to learn about using FHG is it's key to separate the mathematical rankings (FHG) from other manager's opinions which greatly affect value.

The way I think of it is this:
    If we set-up a draft of 12 teams with every team exactly following the draft guru we'd end up with 12 very equal teams and the winner would be whichever team got lucky and exceeded projections the most. Mathematically speaking all 12 teams would be making the correct picks and so no team could get an edge.

But that's not how leagues operate, they operate with managers who have their own opinions and biases, a major bias in mult-category leagues is a preference for the sexy named point getters over the grittier all-round guys. A smart manager can use this to his advantage. Having used FHG you will know that Ott is the 4th best LWer however, since he gets no love,he is projected to go in the 8th round, so, instead of snapping him up in the 3rd round you sit and grab him in the 7th and get killer value.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Hey FHG,

By the time you buy a guy to cover Ott's hits and one to cover his FOW from the left side and one to cover his PIM's - you have burned through 3 picks, Horrorfan.