Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Hockey Pool Geek - Tips and Tricks

I...am your father.

Default Hockey Pool Geek - Tips and Tricks

How can you best use the tools? Do you have a strategy you can sure in terms of using the tools here?
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Star

Bump - and this is a callout!

We know we've got a powerful set of tools. We know how to use them (we designed them!) but we also know that not everybody uses them like we do, and more importantly that users have likely figured out their own workarounds and "best practice" themselves.

We want to tap into that, because you guys know what you're doing.

To that end, we've just installed a new knowledge base that lets users submit articles.

http://support.hockeypoolgeek.com - it's still a work in progress, but it's getting there.

So here's the challenge: how do you use the tools at HPG to get ahead? Write it down and send it in. We'll edit it and be in touch to best capture your strategies, and then it'll be shared with the HPG community. The more we communicate with each other about how we get the most out of the tools, the further ahead we'll all be.

Would LOVE to hear from as many of you as possible.

Cheers

HPG

Dobber Sports Demi-God

In one league where we have the option to add prospects who haven't played in the NHL through the waiver draft (prospect draft already completed), in preparing for the new waiver draft I keep a list of farm roster players not yet in the HPG database as I am populating the draft guru for each league. A manual option to add these players to the farm/other list would take away the need to do that - but my list at least gives me a quick reference to who is taken and who is available should I want to grab a prospect.
    Last edited by Shoeless; July 4, 2012 at 2:43 AM.

Dobber Sports Pro

I just tried to use the player rankings feature (purchased full membership) and all the rankings are based off of stats from 2010-2011 season. Will this be updated soon? I'd love to make some offseason moves and use up-to-date info to help make my decisions.
    http://twitter.com/robsintheshed

12 Team - H2H Keeper League - 25 Players - 13 Keepers
    (G, A, P, +/-, Hits, PPP, SOG, W, GAA, SV%)
    Keepers
    C: Tavares, Benn,
    LW: Galchenyuk, Landeskog, .
    RW: Pominville, Little, Oshie, Yakupov
    D: Subban, Vatanen, Fowler
    G: Price, Bishop

Dobber Sports Ace

No real tricks for me, just use the Draft adviser and Guru.

Never sure whether to use, 3yr avg., dobber proj or dobber plus year to date actuals.

Love it
    Team 1:
    10 Team Keeper, keep 16.
    Cat: +/-, PIMs, G, A, Pts, STG (PPG+SHG), GAA, SPct, W
    Roto, No Max games, weekly lineups - 12F, 6D, 4G - 6 bench

F: Benn, Bennett, Crosby, Hughes, Keller, Kopitar, Lindolm, Perron, Schmalts, Stephenson, Tavares, Thompson
    Bench - Lafreniere, Roslovic, Schenn

D: Chabot, Dahlin, Josi, Hronek, Morrissey, Schenn
    Bench - Sandin

G: F. Copley, Gustavsson, Skinner, Sorokin
    Bench: Merzlikins, Petersen, Andersen (IR)

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by robmyatt View Post
    I just tried to use the player rankings feature (purchased full membership) and all the rankings are based off of stats from 2010-2011 season. Will this be updated soon? I'd love to make some offseason moves and use up-to-date info to help make my decisions.
    Hmmm, maybe something quirky in your account Rob - I am using last seasons stats.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I do have a rather laborious work around I use to rank teams in my league roto style. Lots of heavy lifting with spreadsheets based on draft advisor summaries. Might be an easier way I haven't figured out yet - I'm not that great with spreadsheets.

Dobber Sports Stud

One thing I recommend is that users realize that the projections based on weighted averages of previous years' stats take into account past injuries. If yourun a rankings calculation on Crosby, even if you have the Dobber projections for G, A, and PIMs, if your league has other cats his value will be grossly underestimated. Same with Parise.

Just manually go in and correct for players who had few games played. I have had trouble doing this fom the "View/Edit your Projections" page, but it works well if you maintain custom stats in a spreadsheet and import them.
    H2H 10 GMs Keeper: keep up to 4 at cost of draft pick (round) G, A,+/-,Blocks,SOG,PPP; Wins,GAA,Sv% Start 3C 3RW 3LW 4D 2G, weekly starts
    C: Еric Staal   Henrik Zetterberg (LW)   Matt Duchene   Brayden Point   Danny Heinen (C/LW/RW)
    LW: Johnny Gaudreau   Taylor Hall   Jonathan Huberdeau   Nick Schmaltz (C/LW)
    RW: Никита Kucherov   Blake Wheeler   Jakub Voráček   Teuvo Teräväinen (LW/RW)
    D: Shea Weber   Dustin Byfuglien   Keith Yandle   Seth Jones
    G: Ben Bishop   Jake Allen   Martin Jones

Quote Originally Posted by fantasyhockeygeek View Post
    Bump - and this is a callout!

We know we've got a powerful set of tools. We know how to use them (we designed them!) but we also know that not everybody uses them like we do, and more importantly that users have likely figured out their own workarounds and "best practice" themselves.

We want to tap into that, because you guys know what you're doing.

To that end, we've just installed a new knowledge base that lets users submit articles.

http://support.hockeypoolgeek.com - it's still a work in progress, but it's getting there.

So here's the challenge: how do you use the tools at HPG to get ahead? Write it down and send it in. We'll edit it and be in touch to best capture your strategies, and then it'll be shared with the HPG community. The more we communicate with each other about how we get the most out of the tools, the further ahead we'll all be.

Would LOVE to hear from as many of you as possible.

Cheers

HPG
    First, you'll always be HPG to me!

Just re-upped my script for this year and diving in to the stats. Getting my feet wet, as it were. My TWFHL is a multi-cat, incorporating Hits, Shots, and PIMs (fractional) among Gs and As.

This is my first truly multi-cat weighted league and, using Dobber's projection, I was literally taken aback by the generated rankings. Gonna run a couple more reports, but I think I achieved what I set out to do with this, my first league as commish, and that was to broaden the pool of viable players in an attempt to better mirror an actual NHL contender.

And it's not spoon feeding me my draft rankings, I still get to tweak it based on my own gut, and I like that. That's where the fun is.

Babbling aside, just wanted to give props. Great tool to have in the tool box. Kudos.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Just checked into HPG after a brief hiatus - pretty impressed with the recent upgrades to the site. seems much faster to me, as well.

Dobber Sports Initiate

I thought the rankings were free. Every time I try to generate rankings, I get redirected to the "Subscription Required" page.
    14-Team H2H Limited Keeper League

Rosters: 3C, 5W, 4D, 1U, 2G, 5B, 2IR+, 1NA
    Keep: 4 F, 2 D, 1 G
    Skater Stats: G (3), A (2), +/- (0.3), PIM (0.4), PPP (0.5), SHP (1), GWG (1), SOG (0.3), Hits (0.1), Blks (0.25), FW (0.05)
    Goalie Stats: W (5), SV (0.3), GA (-2), SHO (2)

C: Crosby, Zegras
    W: Pastrnak, Keller

D: Karlsson, Montour
    G:Oettinger
    IR+:
    NA:

Dobber Sports Star

Hi rjf,

We're looking into it -- that shouldn't be!

Dobber Sports Star

Resolved, we think. Let us know through the site's contact form if you're still having trouble!

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Seems like there is a bug with the rankings after the latest update. 'FHG value' is now just the same as 'fantasy points' when I generate rankings.
    10-team Limited Keeper League (Keep 10), Fantasy Points
    G(3), A(2.5), +/-(0.5), PIM(0.1), SHG(1), SHA(1), GWG(0.5), SOG(0.2), HIT(0.1), BLK(0.1); W(3), GA(-1), SV(0.2), SO(3), OTL(1)
    C: Draisaitl, Backstrom, MacKinnon
    LW: Pacioretty, Van Riemsdyk, Kovalchuk
    RW: P. Kane, Atkinson, Pavelski
    D: Ekman-Larsson, Hamilton, Werenski, Gardiner, Trouba
    G: Dubnyk, Raanta
    Bench: Galchenyuk, Stastny, E. Lindholm, Zibanejad, Coyle, Schmaltz, Dubois

Dobber Sports Star

mrgrieves, drop us a line through the support page on the site and we'll troubleshoot your issue - we can't replicate your issue in other leagues.