Poll: Tim Thomas Boycott on White House Stud, or Dud?

Thread: 01/23/12 Studs & Duds

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default 01/23/12 Studs & Duds

Six games on the docket last night and lots of off ice news in today's Studs & Duds

Studs

See-More Skinner
    Dr. Dobber in this mornings ramblings believes Skinner is playing through concussion symptoms. If he is or not it is fun to see him back on the ice as he has two goals in his last two games

Winged Wheel Keeps on Rolling
    Last week I commended the Wings for setting a record 15 straight home wins. With two more home wins the streak is now extended to a staggering 17 consecutive home wins. The Wings season home record is now 20-2-1 for 87%

All-Star additions
    Recent additions to this weekends All-Star game are Jordan Eberle and Kris Letang who will replace the injured Mikko Koivu, and Dustin Byfuglien. Minnesota's Nick Johnson has also been added as a participant to the All-Star skills competition. This is a tremendous achievement for Johnson who was under most fantasy GM's radar's at draft season. Thanks to Dobber's draft guide I was able to pick up Johnson near the 450th pick. A real sleeper home run pick, now an All-Star.

Honorable Mention
    The Monster gets the Leafs a much needed win with his third shutout of the Season. The Monster has taken over the crease in Toronto!

Edmonton Oilers also picked up a rare much needed win last night in a shootout win over ending a three game losing streak. The oil have only six wins in their last 20 games.

Pekka Rinne now has eight straight wins for Nashville

Pavel Datsyuks beauty goal
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsdofWq1LHM

Duds

Jason Spezza is Pucked in the Head!
    Just days after the ugly Taylor Hall warm up incident we have another "freak" warm up accident. The Hall injury sparked some debate about rather players should wear helmets during warm up or not. Several players commented, including Jason Spezza who said he enjoys not wearing a helmet and that it is highly unlikely to be injured.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1Veasppi9w

Ovechkin ejected for "Launching"
    Ovie gets a three game suspension for his hit on Michalek last Sunday. Watch the video and count the number of times Shanahan says "launch"

Low blow, high road
    Ales Hemskey delivers a hit to the knee of Brent Burns causing him to leave the game. After the game, Burns took the high moral ground by not blaming Hemsky saying "It happens, it's a quick game. It's not his fault I know that"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUy3vOmWwJY

Dishonorable Mention
    Columbus Blue jackets. In case you were wondering why the jackets are the worst team in the NHL watch the high lights of last nights game against Nashville. Notice the brutal turn over by Antoine Vermette that directly leads to Mike Fishers first goal. And then there is Rick Nash only playing 16:41 minutes in the game. What's up with that?!?

Ales Hemsky skating right down the slot in on the San Jose goal. Has a golden opportunity to score. But then he hears a call for a pass, and can not resist the temptation to pass rather than shoot and score himself. Hemsky makes a fantastic no look tape-to-tape pass......right to Joe Thornton!

Stud or Dud? You be the Judge!

Mr Thomas does not go to the Whit House!
    The Boston Bruins made their championship visit to the White House to be congratulated by President Barack Obama, but Tim Thomas refused to go. Thomas explained his absence in a short posting on his Facebook page, writing: “I believe the Federal government has grown out of control, threatening the Rights, Liberties, and Property of the People. This is being done at the Executive, Legislative, and Judicial level. This is in direct opposition to the Constitution and the Founding Fathers vision for the Federal government. Because I believe this, today I exercised my right as a Free Citizen, and did not visit the White House. This was not about politics or party, as in my opinion both parties are responsible for the situation we are in as a country. This was about a choice I had to make as an INDIVIDUAL.”
    Follow me on twitter: @pharling

Dobber Sports Genius

Nice write-up.

Tim Thomas = DUD, I have no problem with him refusing to go to the White House due to political reasons, but the fact that he also used his position as a soap box to pass on his political views and over-shadow the rest of the team is pretty sad. Since he feels so strongly about it he could have refused to go and simply stated that his idealogical views differed and left it at that.
    12 Team H2H Dynasty
    22 Players 3C 3L 3R 1Util 4D 2G 6BN
    (G) (A) (+/-) (PIM) (PPP) (FW) (HIT) (W) (GAA) (SV%) (SHO)
    C: R Getzlaf, C Giroux, Scheifele, T Bozak
    LW: T Vanek, B Ryan, P Marleau, T Hall
    RW: C Perry, K Okposo, A Ovechkin, Kucherov
    D: D Byfuglien, Z Chara, E Karlsson, R Josi, D Keith, Trouba
    G: R Luongo, B Holtby, K Lehtonen
    Farm: Lack, Wennberg, Hellbucyk, Ho-Sang, Milano, Burakovsky, Sanheim
    2012-2013 and 2013-2014 league champ

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Laendarian View Post
    Nice write-up.

Tim Thomas = DUD, I have no problem with him refusing to go to the White House due to political reasons, but the fact that he also used his position as a soap box to pass on his political views and over-shadow the rest of the team is pretty sad. Since he feels so strongly about it he could have refused to go and simply stated that his idealogical views differed and left it at that.
    He simply stated why he decided not to go and explained it clearly. Nothing wrong with that. He didn't ask anyone anything. And he did it on his own personal facebook page, not on the team's website.
    14 teams Dynasty (keep 10)
    Points-only, Goalies 2W +1SO

F (12) = Kopitar, Tavares, Benn, Schwartz, Hornqvist, Thornton, Kreider, Nyquist, Perreault, Maroon, Lee, Dzingel
    D (4) = Burns, Klingberg, Carlson, Niskanen, Severson
    G (1) = Holtby, Grubauer

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by NHLSim Jackets View Post
    He simply stated why he decided not to go and explained it clearly. Nothing wrong with that. He didn't ask anyone anything. And he did it on his own personal facebook page, not on the team's website.
    He did that, I just think it's in poor taste and on an inappropriate forum. I think it is already awkward enough that he decides not to go, but as I stated forgivable as I understand his reasoning, but the fact that he also goes on to give his own personal opinion as to what is wrong with the presidency seems in poor taste. I mean every other Bruin went on this trip, and in essence he is saying that his opinion is that by going he would be supporting this horrible government, kind of a douche bag thing to put on your team-mates. Anyways just my two cents, I don't really have any strong political feelings one way or the other (I am Canadian as it were), I just think it was in poor taste the way he handled it. Decline the invite, state that it is due to your differing opinions and leave it at that, I think that would have sufficiently gotten the point across while still being respectful of your team-mates.
    12 Team H2H Dynasty

Dobber Sports Prodigy

He did that, I just think it's in poor taste and on an inappropriate forum. I think it is already awkward enough that he decides not to go, but as I stated forgivable as I understand his reasoning, but the fact that he also goes on to give his own personal opinion as to what is wrong with the presidency seems in poor taste. I mean every other Bruin went on this trip, and in essence he is saying that his opinion is that by going he would be supporting this horrible government, kind of a douche bag thing to put on your team-mates. Anyways just my two cents, I don't really have any strong political feelings one way or the other (I am Canadian as it were), I just think it was in poor taste the way he handled it. Decline the invite, state that it is due to your differing opinions and leave it at that, I think that would have sufficiently gotten the point across while still being respectful of your team-mates.
    I guess it could be seen that way. To me, Thomas clearly doesn't mean to point his finger to his teammates... anyway, he is one of only 3 Americans on the team!! I am Canadian too, and I am not much into politics... so I don't really give a ...
    14 teams Dynasty (keep 10)
    Points-only, Goalies 2W +1SO

F (12) = Kopitar, Tavares, Benn, Schwartz, Hornqvist, Thornton, Kreider, Nyquist, Perreault, Maroon, Lee, Dzingel
    D (4) = Burns, Klingberg, Carlson, Niskanen, Severson
    G (1) = Holtby, Grubauer

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Big Picture

Great read. Thanks.

Thomas = Huge Stud

We have to stop criticizing people for giving their opinion. I don't care how he said, he said what he feels.

The explanation I read in this post was beautiful, truthful and honest. But what?? You want him to soften it up a bit? Make it palatable for everyone so not to hinder anyone else's grand visit.

These are HUGELY politic times and Tim Thomas obviously cares about what is happening in his country and to his friends and neighbors. The man deserves a freaking medal for actually standing up and saying what he feels without fear of ridicule.

The last thing we want to do as citizens is stand in the way of people like that saying what they feel or eventually people stop telling truth the way it needs to be heard and instead just say things people want to hear.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Detroit

And don't underestimate the fact that Thomas is from Detroit. He has witnessed first hand where the rest of the US in heading if things don't change.

Dobber Sports Genius

Studs- Dubnyk

Duds- The Sharks- they're just not getting it done right now.
    Sites: www.twitter.com/tsgraveline tsgraveline.blogspot.com thesharkremarks.blogspot.com

Team 1:10 Multi-Cat Roto league

C- Malkin,Giroux,Thornton Galchenyuk, Schenn, Berglund, Eller
    LW- Hall,Ovechkin, E.Kane Saad
    RW- Seguin, Stewart, PAP
    D- Subban,Phaneuf Keith, OEL, Hedman,
    G- Pavelec,Hiller Lindback, Theodore, Lehner

Team 2:24 H2H League Multi-Cat

C- Weiss, Galchenyuk, Desharnais, Vitale
    LW- Parise, Bailey, Torres, King, Bissonnette
    RW- Ovechkin, Clowe, Asham, Gagner
    D- Boyle, Klesla, Souray, Hjalmarsson, Niskanen, Hickey, Lovejoy, Potter
    G-Holtby, Halak

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Sharks

Quote Originally Posted by tgraveline View Post
    Studs- Dubnyk

Duds- The Sharks- they're just not getting it done right now.
    I'm feeling the Sharks for an explosion. The longer they stumble around, the bigger the explosion. I'd use this time to try and acquire any Sharks available in your league.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Obama tries to make mileage out of inviting the Bruins to meet him at the White House - Thomas tries to make mileage out of turning down the invite - ho hum, it's a game. Thomas plays hard, always has and always will.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by shingy View Post
    Great read. Thanks.

Thomas = Huge Stud

We have to stop criticizing people for giving their opinion. I don't care how he said, he said what he feels.

The explanation I read in this post was beautiful, truthful and honest. But what?? You want him to soften it up a bit? Make it palatable for everyone so not to hinder anyone else's grand visit.

These are HUGELY politic times and Tim Thomas obviously cares about what is happening in his country and to his friends and neighbors. The man deserves a freaking medal for actually standing up and saying what he feels without fear of ridicule.

The last thing we want to do as citizens is stand in the way of people like that saying what they feel or eventually people stop telling truth the way it needs to be heard and instead just say things people want to hear.
    Quote Originally Posted by shingy View Post
    And don't underestimate the fact that Thomas is from Detroit. He has witnessed first hand where the rest of the US in heading if things don't change.
    Honestly I completely understand your reasoning, and I would actually applaude Thomas if this was an individual sport like golf or tennis. Like I said my only beef is that I feel like this negatively impacts his team, as I would feel pretty uncomfortable having to meet the president when one of my team-mates is making a big stink about what a terrible example I am setting by doing so.

I am all for free thought, just feel like you need to weigh the pro's and con's of certain situations, and I'd have thought that this could have been handled a bit more tactfully and still gotten the same message across. Maybe not, but to me it feels like too much of an air of self-importance as opposed to free-thought.
    12 Team H2H Dynasty