Thread: 01/19/12 - Studs & Duds

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default 01/19/12 - Studs & Duds

8:30am class means no mention of the Sens/Sharks and Flames/Kings games. Will throw up a few notes if things stand out in the morning.

Studs

3) Halak Attack! - Halak posted his fourth shutout of the season, and his second in as many starts. While he faced a very light load tonight (15 saves) against one of the worst teams in the league, it was definitely a welcome sight. Halak has now won six consecutive starts.

2) Feeling kinda Pekkish - While having a fantastic game on Monday, Pekka Rinne gave up a goal to John Tavares with 3:58 remaining in the game to ruin his shutout bid leaving owners hungry for more. Thursday night Rinne delivered, making 38 saves for his fourth shutout of the year. This was his first shutout since November 3.

1) Lupul Fiasco - Fantastic effort tonight by Joffrey Lupul, my favourite for the Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy. Lupul recorded three primary assists in the Leafs' 4-1 victory over the Minnesota Wild, and was a plus-two. He now has 20 goals and 31 assists in 46 games, as he continues to prove the early season doubters wrong.

Honourable Mentions

Grinders - The Bruins got their offense from some unexpected sources tonight as their bottom six were responsible for three of the B's four goals on the night. Shawn Thornton and Gregory Campbell each registered two points, and were both plus-two along with Andrew Ference. Campbell had a fantastic roto night as he also got five penalty minutes, five faceoff wins, and delivered three hits. The Coyotes also saw some production from their energy line as Torres/Brule/Chipchura were responsible for both of Phoenix's goals.

Underrated and underappreciated - Seems like no matter what perennial 50-point defenseman Tobias Enstrom does, he just doesn't get the respect he deserves. Enstrom scored the game-winner tonight for the Jets who desperately needed a win. Enstrom now has goals in three consecutive games, and seems to be taking matters into his own hands with trigger-men Zach Bogosian and Dustin Byfuglien out with injuries. Since returning from his collar bone injury, Enstrom has three goals and eight assists in 15 games.

The Island - The New York Islanders have been one of the better teams over the past 10 games, as they now have two legitimate scoring lines and a goalie playing some of his best hockey in years. Nabokov posted a well-earned 40 save victory tonight and is now riding a three game winning streak. The top line of Moulson/Tavares/Okposo hooked up for another goal tonight, while PA Parenteau continues to generate offense for that second line.

Duds

3) Oil Change - The Oilers have now dropped to a 17-25-4 record, going 2-7-1 in their last 10 games. The injuries are definitely taking a toll on this already below average squad. Khabibulin did everything he could withstanding 37 of the Blues' 38 shots but the offense simply could not get anything going, shooting the puck only 15 times. Some great news though is that Taylor Hall seems to be okay after that horrific accident that has now left the left side of his face looking like a baseball.

2) The Minnesota Wild - The free fall continues for the Wild, as they have now dropped out of a playoff spot in the West after holding the top seed for a good portion of the start of the season. It's safe to say that no team has been worse than this group in the past 20 games or so as they have struggled with injuries, illness, and consistency. Zidlicky and Spurgeon had rough nights as they were both minus-two, the worst two on the team.

1) Strong Words - It seems like that's all that we've heard from the Buffalo Sabres this season, statements that the players in the dressing room need to show some heart. The Sabres are probably the only team that rival the Wild for being the worst in the league over the past 10 games or so. Playoffs look more out of the picture with each game as they now sit nine points out of eighth place.

Dishonourable Mention

The Devils - There is no excuse for allowing four goals in the third period, especially when three of them came from your opponent's bottom six. Kurtis Foster was a team-worst minus-three.

Columbus - They still suck

The Flyers - Bobrovsky allowed three goals on 28 shots opening the door for Bryzgalov to reclaim his starting job. Giroux and Jagr were a team-worst minus-three, and Girouxs frustration got the best of him as he dropped the gloves with a much-bigger Dylan Reese.

Quick Hits

Alex Pietrangelo - The New Year's festivities keep on going for this young stud. Extended his point streak to eight games with the game-winner, and now has three goals and eight assists in 2012.

Magic Number? - Five of the 10 games in the league ended with a final score of 4-1. Congratulations to the winners (Bruins, Islanders, Penguins, Leafs, Jets)

Kris Letang - Great to finally see this stud defenseman back on the ice where he belongs. Letang recorded an assist and was plus-two in his first game back after missing 23 games with a concussion. His value to this team is no secret as he logged a team high 24:17 time on ice.

Martin Erat - Underappreciated winger registered a goal (game-winner) and an assist and now has 32 points in 39 games.

Pavel Datsyuk - With two assists tonight Datsyuk is now in the top five in league scoring with 51 points in 46 games. What makes all this so incredible is how he is near the top of the scoring race despite his slow start.

Dobber Sports Icon

Nice job B0ndon.

For the late games, the Spezza/Karlsson train keeps on rolling, goal for Karlsson and two helpers for Spezza, and Greening benefits from his line assignment with Spezza and notches a couple of markers with 5 SOG. And same for Turris, another goal and assist tonight, unreal. Sens take out the Sharks at home, man, this team is for real - how can you not put Maclean right up there for the Jack Adams with the job he's done turning this young squad around.

As for LA and Calgary, I honestly can't tell you anything other than it was a hell of a goalie battle by the looks of it.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    Nice job B0ndon.

For the late games, the Spezza/Karlsson train keeps on rolling, goal for Karlsson and two helpers for Spezza, and Greening benefits from his line assignment with Spezza and notches a couple of markers with 5 SOG. And same for Turris, another goal and assist tonight, unreal. Sens take out the Sharks at home, man, this team is for real - how can you not put Maclean right up there for the Jack Adams with the job he's done turning this young squad around.

As for LA and Calgary, I honestly can't tell you anything other than it was a hell of a goalie battle by the looks of it.
    Thanks for adding on buddy!

Yeah the Sens have been INSANE...I have a whole lot of friends that are depressed Leaf fans right now lol. Gotta hand it to the Sens, Turris has been fantastic for them!
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by b0ndon View Post
    Gotta hand it to the Sens, Turris has been fantastic for them!
    But you know of course that Rundblad and a 2nd for Turris - was an absolutely an insanely bad trade. Just go back and look at the Rundblad trade thread.

I have to wonder where the Pens would be if Crosby and Staal were healthy. Gotta think Blysma is still in the running for the Adams.

Another aside - I hummed and hawed about my last keeper last summer - Jussi or Joffrey - whew kept Lupul.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Shoeless View Post
    But you know of course that Rundblad and a 2nd for Turris - was an absolutely an insanely bad trade. Just go back and look at the Rundblad trade thread.

I have to wonder where the Pens would be if Crosby and Staal were healthy. Gotta think Blysma is still in the running for the Adams.

Another aside - I hummed and hawed about my last keeper last summer - Jussi or Joffrey - whew kept Lupul.
    A lot of people would have advocated for Jussi at that point too. Nice job.