Thread: 01/05/12- Studs & Duds

Dobber Sports Master

Default 01/05/12- Studs & Duds

B0ndon is busy tonight, so I'll be taking over. A very busy night in hockey, plenty of people shone and plenty faltered. Here are the Studs and Duds:

Studs

3) Backing up the ASG Vote

On Thursday, the majority of social media that cares about hockey threw themselves into the discussion of the All-Star Game starters. Being held in Ottawa, four senators made it to the game via fan vote: Alfredsson, Spezza, Michalek, and Karlsson. Very few disagreed with Erik Karlsson's nomination, but the system was scrutinized for letting these three forwards in while more deserving nominees were "snubbed". However, the Senators' performance against the Lightning quieted some critics.

In a 4-1 victory (their 4th in as many games), Alfredsson recorded 3 points, Spezza opened the scoring, Michalek finished with a positive rating through 20 minutes, and Karlsson continued to look dangerous. Things are looking bright for Ottawa at the moment, and those 4 players are responsible for lots of that success.

2) How do you spell "win"? J V R

James Van Riemsdyk has not had the season that most people anticipated that he would. Following the emergence of forward Matt Read and the re-emergence of Jaromir Jagr, JVR has often found himself on the outside of the top 6 looking in. With only 1 point in his previous 8 games, he was on the outside for a justifiable reason. However, with Jagr's injury, Van Riemsdyk was given an opportunity to prove himself once again, and on no bigger stage: A game against the Blackhawks, who last visited the Wells Fargo Center leaving with a cup.

JVR scored 2 goals, including his 11th with only 30 seconds to go in a tie game, as the Flyers got revenge on the 'Hawks in a 5-4 win. All the more impressive, he recorded these goals in under 14 minutes of ice time. With a game like he had today, expect him to get more ice time down the road, and ultimately more chances to strive like he did tonight.

1) Da Bruins

There's no more that can be said anymore. The Bruins won again handedly, this time 9-0 against the Flames. They have scored 6 goals in a game 11 times, and have recorded 7 shutouts. They lead the league in goals for, and have a goal differential of +69. The cup winners are officially back, and are viable threats to repeat.

Duds

3) Oil Shortage

The Edmonton Oilers started off the season on a torrid pace, making all doubters believe that this team could be the surprise playoff team of the year. However, since that time the Oilers have fallen dramatically. A horrid road trip saw their road-record decimated, reaching its climax when Nugent-Hopkins caught an edge and fell awkwardly into the boards, resulting in a separated shoulder. However, things were not better on Thursday.

Taking a 3-1 lead into the 3rd period, the Oilers surrendered 3 straight goals to lose 4-3 in regulation to the St. Louis Blues. This loss brought the Oilers into very familiar lottery pick contention, currently sitting as 5th worst in the league. All hope is not lost for this season, but this team is learning that Hall and Eberle cannot do it all, and simply more is needed to consistently win hockey games.

2) Butler goes -7. I'm not Kidding

Title says it all. In their 9-0 loss against the Bruins, Defenseman Chris Butler was a -7. Taking into consideration that one Bruin goal was on the power play, it can be concluded that Butler was on the ice for 7 of the 8 goals against. It's safe to say that this was a night that he (and the rest of his team) would like to have back.

1) Frozen Jet Fuel

December was the greatest month of the year for all Jets' fans. The team finished the season 10-3-1, Evander Kane is playing like a madman, and the enthused crowd has given the Jets one of the best home-records in the NHL. After a 3-2 win against the Maple Leafs on New Years' Eve, there was an unbelievable sense of optimism in "the 'Peg" considering the Jets were in a playoff spot. However, in order for them to maintain that spot, a solid January was needed. It has not started in the direction they would've liked.

Following a 7-3 loss in Montreal on Wednesday, the Jets got shut out by the Maple Leafs, losing 4-0. This gives the Jets a 0-2 record in 2012, and added to their sub-par road record. Winnipeg is a talented team that should be considered in the playoff race right until the last day, but they need to play unlike the climate of January in Winnipeg: Cold.

Points of Interest

T.J "Half-Glass Full" Brodie: In a game where everybody was a negative on the Flames, Brodie managed to stay an even rating in 25 minutes of ice time.

Kessel+Lupul=Points: Kessel and Lupul both got a point tonight, giving Kessel a 7 game point streak and each of them their 32nd game of the year with a point, the most in the NHL.

Stammer the Sniper: Stamkos must be working out more with his free time not getting haircuts. He has a 5 game goal streak and leads the league with 28.

Zibanejad Zaniness: Mika Zibanejad's game winner in OT was all it took for the Swedish to win the well-deserved WJC.

Shea Returns: A welcome face returned to action, as Shea Weber played against the Stars.
    Last edited by TK12555; January 6, 2012 at 11:45 AM.
    "We've had a couple shakers in this place. This year we haven't had the time. We had a couple good ones last year, right?" - Phil Kessel

Dobber Sports Guru

Can't believe you didn't make Chris Butler as the #1 dud for the night. The guy tied for the NHL record in the worst minus in one game!

By the way Butler was on the ice on that Bruins PP-goal too so overall he was on the ice for 8/9 goals against.
    UHL Pittsburgh Penguins

24 Team Fantrax Salary Cap H2H Dynasty League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    , Hits, Blks, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO
    23 Man Roster - 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3F, 6D, 1G, 4BN, 4IR
    27 Man Minor Team

C-
    Tavares, Stepan, Granlund, Bjugstad, Couturier
    LW- Ryan, Perron, Ennis, Killorn, Spaling
    RW-
    Wheeler, Simmonds, Coyle, Wingels, Shaw
    D-
    JJ, Schultz, Cowen, Muzzin, Bortuzzo, Stanton
    G- Lehtonen, Rämö

F: Lehterä, Wennberg,
    McNeill, de la Rose, Fast, Leivo, Arnold, Archibald, Lindström
    D: Gelinas, Beaulieu, Koekkoek, McCabe, Johns, Gryba
    G: Berra, Talbot, Brossoit, Ullmark, Lieuwen, Rynnäs

*UHL Champion 2014*

Dobber Sports Icon

Great read TK, but I do have a couple of points:

Bruins have a goal differential of +69.

And I have to agree with Carcillo that Butler is the top dud of the night.

Loved the Brodie comment though, not sure how the hell he managed that.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Master

I didn't make Butler the #1 Dud because it's +/-. I feel that +/- isn't always the most accurate stat for a player. I saw the goals and there were some completely out of the control of Butler. He just got unlucky.
    "We've had a couple shakers in this place. This year we haven't had the time. We had a couple good ones last year, right?" - Phil Kessel

Dobber Sports Ninja

Thanks for doing this for me Tyler.

Wow, can't believe I missed a night where a player went -7
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Assistant Manager

great read. very detailed - i like that!
    Gates Imbeau
    DobberHockey's HHOF - 2013 Builder's Category
    Twitter: @GM_Gates