Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Best Team of NHL Scouts

I...am your father.

Default The Best Team of NHL Scouts

Just another reason why I should be a General Manager...

I\'ve had this theory for years, but finally decided to Blog about it.

The NHL has a salary cap that restricts the amount of money that you can spend on the players on your team. There is, of course, no such cap to cover off management.

If I am running a rich team such as the Leafs, Rangers, Flyers, etc., I pour my money into scouting. If I was making a profit with a $70 million payroll...and now my payroll is $52 million...I fail to see why I wouldn\'t spend the same amount of money making sure my team is as good as it can be.

What is a typical scouting budget for a year? Five million dollars? Ten? If the Sabres are reduced to just using video for their scouting needs, then I have to figure it\'s closer to the former than the latter.

So lets pretend that the budget is five million dollars. Well, with me in charge it would be $23 million. What would I do? I would assemble the perfect scouting team by stealing the best from the other teams. I would turn their $50,000 or $150,000 salary into $500,000 if need be, but I would get them. My team of Super Scouts:

American Scouts: Anaheim. They pluck the most late bloomers out of college, from Penner to McDonald to Shannon etc. I would steal these guys.

Canadian Scouts: Philadelphia. It seems like they don\'t miss nowadays, be it Carter, Richards, Downie, Umberger (who they didn\'t draft, but certainly scouted), Gagne, etc.

European Scouts: Detroit. Duh. No team finds European gems later in the draft than this one. It\'s remarkable.

Head of Scouting: David Conte, New Jersey. Back up the Brinks truck and give him $2 million a year, but make sure you get him.

What team could stop my team if I had this scouting staff?

Dobber for GM

B)
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Ace

Don\'t throw your shoulder out patting yourself on the back..................what place are you in the Experts pool???
    God bless us,everyone of us!

Super Moderator

I agree with most of it except David Conte just cause I\'m not sure who he is. Is he the one who found the Parise\'s, Brodeur\'s, Nidermeyer\'s, etc?

What about the WORST scouting other than Toronto since that\'s a given (poor Cereda, Convery, Carlo, etc etc and etc)?

Detroit is just sick, like I just can\'t believe how low Datsyuk, Zetts et all got drafted.
    We get one of these - Don't waste it.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

What about paying the players to \"scout\" during the games? Pay Sundin $6 M a year to play hockey plus $2 M a year to scout on nights off or while he\'s skating around. After the game he could write a few notes like, \"that Ovechkin kid is good, I wish I could play with him...\"

It\'s an idea I pulled from a buddy of mine who went down to the states on a soccer scholarship. They aren\'t allowed to pay their players for playing so they gave him $30 an hour to watch the soccer field after practice. The field was used exclusively for the team so it was always empty and no one ever checked if he was actually in the office. They still gave him $90 a day, 5 days a week to watch the field.

Might sound silly but I\'m surprised no one has thought of trying something like it to get around the cap.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Good news Dobber, to make changes like that you wouldn\'t need to be the GM, you would need to be the team owner. That\'s good because you never have to convince anyone to hire you, you simply build this website into a billion dollar empire and go shopping.

Dobber Sports Expert

WildHendy wrote:
    Don\'t throw your shoulder out patting yourself on the back..................what place are you in the Experts pool???
    Oh Snap!

Dobber Sports Expert

I don\'t think players would want to spend what little free time they had scouting during the season. Also, it diverts their focus from their own performance.

Dobber Sports Master

repenttokyo wrote:
    I don\'t think players would want to spend what little free time they had scouting during the season. Also, it diverts their focus from their own performance.
    What about a guy like Boll. He could use the extra cash and doesn\'t need to prepare for the 7 mins of ice time before he gets kicked out of the game for fighting.
    30 GM Commish Dynasty
    G A +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV
    Start: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Utl, 1G
    C:Savard,Filpulla,Arnott,Ott,Boyd,Weight,Rupp
    LW:Heatley,Morrow,Sullivan,Tambellini,Bissonnette, Pierro-Zabotel
    RW: Hemsky,Backes,Orr,Tikhonov,Artyukhin,Ortmeyer
    D:EJ,Ehrhoff,Hjalmarsson,Babchuk,Commodore
    G: M.A.Fleury,Deslauriers,Koskinen,Monnino

Dobber Sports Ace

Just from some reading I\'ve done I know under Ferguson the leafs were pouring more money into European scouting a couple of years ago, so its not like that idea is new. I guess you get credit for the plan to steal away all the other teams scouts though.
    12 team roto with 6 keepers, G A P +/- PIM PPP SOG, W SV% SHO
    C-Crosby Spezza Connolly
    L-Smyth Rolston Malone Sullivan
    R-Hemsky Ryan Ryder Backes Fleischmann Cleary
    D-Phaneuf Rafalski Whitney Pitkanen
    G-Lundqvist Bryzgalov Theodore Rinne

I...am your father.

WildHendy wrote:
    The 10th place you see in Russ\' article is old news. Just like 11th place from his article before.

Eighth place now. And rising. With Crosby out.

I\'ve recovered nicely, I think. We all have our off years though. I predict a march up to sixth by the end, which would be remarkable.

Recovery is the mark of a good GM. So again I say - Dobber for GM!

B)

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Master

Thx to Dobber\'s scouting advice I am 1st in my keeper.
    and 1st or 2nd in all of my other 7 pools.

I\'d hire Dobber as my head scout
    30 GM Commish Dynasty
    G A +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV
    Start: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Utl, 1G
    C:Savard,Filpulla,Arnott,Ott,Boyd,Weight,Rupp
    LW:Heatley,Morrow,Sullivan,Tambellini,Bissonnette, Pierro-Zabotel
    RW: Hemsky,Backes,Orr,Tikhonov,Artyukhin,Ortmeyer
    D:EJ,Ehrhoff,Hjalmarsson,Babchuk,Commodore
    G: M.A.Fleury,Deslauriers,Koskinen,Monnino

I...am your father.

Crazynuck wrote:
    Thx to Dobber\'s scouting advice I am 1st in my keeper.
    and 1st or 2nd in all of my other 7 pools.

I\'d hire Dobber as my head scout
    I can\'t match that record. If I were in seven pools, I would win two, place in two more finish last in one and in the middle of the pack in the other two. Wow, first or second in eight pools is pretty amazing.

Dobber Sports Expert

Crazynuck wrote:
    repenttokyo wrote:
    What about a guy like Boll. He could use the extra cash and doesn\'t need to prepare for the 7 mins of ice time before he gets kicked out of the game for fighting.
    maybe he could scout from the press box? or the penalty box? Box Scout extraordinaire.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

add in Giroux. He is going to be a STUD.

Another GREAT scout is Jarmo Kekalainen (used to be Ottawa\'s European scout = Hossa, Havlat, etc), now the head of Blues scouting and Assistant GM.
    Follow me on Twitter: AngusCertified
    Check my blog out: Angus Certified

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Repent, I fear you didn\'t get the meaning of my post. I was trying to make Sundin\'s comment ludicrous. To suggest a player wouldn\'t want to list the name of the best player on the other team to earn an extra $2 M is pretty silly. Of course he would want to do that.