Thread: NHLPA Lacks Vision

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default NHLPA Lacks Vision

In another post on the forum, smoothfun (by the way, congrats on the century mark in posts!) mentioned that in light of the serious nature of the Zednik injury, maybe the NHL should go with full face protection and neck guards.

I\'ve often thought about the NHL/NHLPA stance on protecting their players. It seems that both those organizations are shirking their responsibilities in protecting their employees/members.

Letting the players choose whether or not they should protect themselves is not defensible from an employer/union perspective. Would you operate a grinder or wood lathe without proper face or eye protection? Instead, leave it up to the employee to decide whether or not to protect his face/eyes?

The stereotypical image of NHL hockey players is that they are tough guys. Remember all the fuss when helmets were grandfathered into the rules? Players who wear visors, who are physical and fight occasionally, are called chicken and a host of other derogatory names.

We hear all too often that the NHL is a business, right? Well what business would not want to protect their employees?

Imagine a construction worker not wearing steel-toed boots because you can\'t find a pair that looks cool enough or they aren’t comfortable? How about a welder not wearing proper eye protection? There are many other examples to be sure.

NFL players are forced to wear helmets, complete with bars across the face. Some even have visors so that they don\'t get their eyes poked. No danger of a football hitting anyone in the eye!

Why doesn\'t the NHL mandate full face protection with Kevlar neck protection? Image? Fighting? Players don’t like it? They are all crappy excuses.

There are just too many opportunities for pucks and sticks to strike the face and neck area. Thankfully, very few skates ever make contact with the neck, but I have no doubt it will take a death to change the players/NHLPA stance on neck protection. Imagine how many injuries could be prevented with full face protection? Dan Cleary is only the most recent example.

Partial visors don\'t help very much and only give the players a false impression of being protected. The way the players wear them half way up their forehead doesn\'t help anyway.

It seems that the NHL/NHLPA are more concerned with image than the players well-being, otherwise you would see the obvious protective measures being implemented.

How hard would it be to make a comfortable, thin kevlar neck protector that would protect the player’s neck from a skate blade slice? Oh right, it already exists.

Surely makers of helmets could come up with a quick release mechanism, that way if two players wanted to have a go at one another, the helmets could magically pop off in 2 seconds. That could potentially save broken knuckles from hitting helmets during fights. Hell, make it a rule that you can\'t fight with a helmet on!

It seems that NHL players need to be protected from themselves and their macho bullshit attitudes. Shouldn’t it be the NHLPA that looks out for their member’s best interests?
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Expert

regarding full face protection - it\'s a vision issue, players feel that they can\'t see nearly as well. i think eye protection is more important, like you do, and i think they should have neckguards too like we did in minor hockey.

Dobber Sports Master

this is a good idea but it will never fly. players prefer no face shield not because of looks but because they can see the puck and the play better. I do agree that the neck guard should be manditory. good old minor hockey... those things were so annoying.
    30 GM Commish Dynasty
    G A +/- PIM PPP SOG W GAA SV
    Start: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Utl, 1G
    C:Savard,Filpulla,Arnott,Ott,Boyd,Weight,Rupp
    LW:Heatley,Morrow,Sullivan,Tambellini,Bissonnette, Pierro-Zabotel
    RW: Hemsky,Backes,Orr,Tikhonov,Artyukhin,Ortmeyer
    D:EJ,Ehrhoff,Hjalmarsson,Babchuk,Commodore
    G: M.A.Fleury,Deslauriers,Koskinen,Monnino

Dobber Sports Ninja

I have to agree with you guys about it being a vision issue, but the players would adapt if they made full face protection mandatory all the way up minor hockey to junior. Grandfather it. I know the majority of NHL players would be against it, but since when do workers get to vote on safety issues in the workplace? I work on the grinder, I put on the mask and gloves. If I was a firefighter going into a burning building, I would put on my breathing apparatus and some flame-proof asbestos underwear (man that must itch!?).

Sometimes we have to protect people for their own good, even if they are elite athletes.

I never wore neck protection until about 4 years ago. It was annoying but now I barely notice it. Somehow I doubt we\'ll see any changes. The only well-being the NHLPA is concerned about is making sure the players cheques are signed.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Genius

thanks comish , i knew i was getting close to 500 but was\'nt aware i was there.this thing bugs me and i suppose with age i\'ve become more aware of how easy it is to prevent serious injury or death in any work place. i\'m also aware that we can\'t put everyone in abubble either.my issue is more that as adults and as role models we all have to lead by example.i enjoy my beer but i try my best not to over in-dulge in the presence of my 14yr old son as that\'s not something i want him to think is ok , he\'s asked for a beer durring thesuperbowl , you know father son bonding time right , not that way , 19 is the legal age here for him to drink so that\'s what i preach , lead by example. in the case of hockey players there was a time when goalies wore no mask , can you imagine today facing shots of over 100mph without face gear while tending net , not!who would have ever thought back in the 50\'s , 60\'s or even 70\'s that one day all players would be wearing helments.yes it\'s up to the individual and yes it may affect they\'re game somewhat but i bet if you ask zednik if he could go back and be able to prevent his accident from happening he\'d jump at it . if they can come up with heated blades for skates that could revelutionise the game then i\'m sure they can come up with equiptment that will protect players from many injuries minor,and major as well as set an example for the younsters playing the game from the begining who look up to their idols in the n.h.l. and would be eager to follow those leaders in playing safe!my opinion.
    Roto type keeper league.We keep any 6 ;15 teams , 3 div. of 5.We play 3 lines , 3 def. and start 2 goalies.6 BN.Stats are 1pt. for goals and assists , 2pts. for W , tie(O.T. or S.O. loss) 1pt. S.O. 1pt.Weekly line-up from Mon. to Sun. Total pts. per line against other teams lines.

LW - Ovechkin , Drouin ,Steen , Huberdeau
    RW - Nash , Callahan , Nyquist
    C - B. Schenn , Fisher , R.N.H. , St. Louis , T. Johnson
    Def.- E. Johnson , Gologoski , Suter , Doughty , O.E.L.
    G - Scheinder , Dubnyk , Lack

Dobber Sports Pro

Regarding visors and masks....

There has always been an argument against them from the marketing department as well.

Due to the speed of the game and the constant changing of players, there has always been a fear that fans will not identify with the players as none of them would be recognizable.

I know this is a weak argument against injuries, but those in charge of marketing and revenue streams usually have some pull.

Dobber Sports Expert

I have always found that argument weak, given that football never seems to be concerned about this issue.

Dobber Sports Star

They should make the neck and face protection mandatory Period.