Thread: Trading draft picks in a Yahoo fantasy keeper league

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Trading draft picks in a Yahoo fantasy keeper league

Hey folks, I'm the commish of a keeper league in its second season. Starting this year we voted to active the trading of draft picks. What I'm not sure of is if I need to make a note to advise the managers to only trade picks from the 4th round or later (we have 3 keepers). Is that correct? A friend of mine told me Yahoo works around it and I don't need to, but I don't want to inadvertently have people trading 1st or 2nd round picks, which end up being their keepers next year. Ya know? Anyone able to help me out?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I'm in a similar league (6 keepers) but Yahoo recognized a 1st rounder as being in what would be the 7th round. Our commish took down all of our keepers for this season and I think he had a way of designating them as such, making sure they came off the board to each respective team before anyone had a chance to draft.

What I'm saying is I'm fairly sure you can modify the keepers at the start of next season and the picks will work out - all of my keepers from last year have a black "K" next to them now. Hope this helps!
    12 Team H2H Limited Keeper (Five any)
    18 Players - 2 C, 2 RW, 2 LW, 4 D, 2 G, 1 UTL 5 Bench
    Skater Stats: G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG, Hits, SOG
    Goalie Stats: Ws, GAA, SV%, SO

C: Backstrom(K), Bergeron, McDavid, Lee
    LW: Pacioretty(K), Benn(K), Kunitz
    RW: Johansen(K), Perron,
    D: Shattenkirk(K), Boychuk, Yandle, Niskanen, Franson, J.Schultz
    G: Andersen, Elliott, Howard

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Thanks for the response. Anyone else familiar with Yahoo and know what to expect?

Dobber Sports Icon

Since they just implemented the draft pick trading this year, you may have a hard time getting a concrete answer.

However, in my keep 15 league, we do not trade anything before the 16th round. A 16th round would be equivalent to the first round next year. People have mistakenly tried to trade earlier picks and as long as the commish is active, he can cancel the trade and they have to redo it with the proper picks.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I'm a commish in a yahoo league that's currently in it's 6th season. We're in the same situation in our 8 keeper league. We just added trading picks this season too. Still not 100% sure how it will all work out going into next season seeing how it's a new feature added to the fantasy hockey. However I figured worst case scenario would be to place keepers on teams using the last round picks. That way the early rounds that have picks traded could remain the same. Sorry I hope that makes sence...
    League Champion 2006, 2007, 2008
    12 Team, 8 keeper H2H League
    Skater Stats(4C,4LW,4RW,4D): G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,SHP,GWG,FOW
    Goalie Stats(2G): W,GA,SV,SO

C: Crosby, Toews, Getzlaf, Berglund
    LW: Parise, Hall, Duchene, Tanguay
    RW: Malkin, Wheeler, C. Stewart, Stempniak
    D: Doughty, Green, Phaneuf
    G: Luongo, Schneider, Ward

PSN ID: wminogue

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Yeah it does make sense and I considered that too, and fortunately no one has even traded any picks yet, but then what if soneone trades picks within the last 3 rounds? Same kind of problem. I think 3 rounds need to be avoided, whether it be the first three or last three. I wish Yahoo would be more clear about this. The other two leagues I'm in aren't helping either. One advises managers to only trade from the 16th round onward (15 keepers) and the other says Yahoo figures it out on its own. I feel like the safe thing to do is have my managers only trade from the 4th round on and then I use the first 3 rounds to manually put in the keepers at the start of next season.
    Last edited by twobelowpar; January 4, 2012 at 3:33 PM.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default The commish needs to stay on top of things..

Same situation in a league I'm commish for in yahoo.. 12 team 5 keepers.. I've designated the bottom five picks to be off limits as the keepers will be assigned To those rounds prior to next seasons draft... Rounds 1 thru 21 can be traded & 22 thru 26 are reserved.. Any trades involving bottom 5 picks are veto'd immediately. Yahoo won't track this in regards to keepers & trading picks.

I also added a clause where teams can only trade a max of 5 picks in order to maintain some league integrity.. I don't want an owner to ravage his team of all their top picks the bail at end of season.. Replacement owners would be up the creek & that wouldn't be fair.

It's extra work on the commish's part but more fun for the league as a while IMO.
    --

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Within hours trading picked up immediately..

Those throwing in the towel on this season started immediately positioning for next season... Intrigue!
    --

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    Since they just implemented the draft pick trading this year, you may have a hard time getting a concrete answer.

However, in my keep 15 league, we do not trade anything before the 16th round. A 16th round would be equivalent to the first round next year. People have mistakenly tried to trade earlier picks and as long as the commish is active, he can cancel the trade and they have to redo it with the proper picks.
    That's how we do it too. We keep 9 players, so the first round pick is really the 10th.
    12-Team One-Year League Rotisserie
    G A +/- PPP SOG HIT W GAA SV% SHO
    Daily Start 2C 2LW 2RW 4D 2G
    The Maroons
    The Wanderers

Dobber Sports Padawan

I still have NO idea how to make my Yahoo league a keeper. We're in the 1st season of a keeper but as commish I have no idea how to maintain the rosters for next year. It's a full keeper. Will award rep to anyone who can help me out!
    10-Team Non-salaried H2H Keeper, 20 Players Each, Keeping 10
    13 active (3 C, 5 W, 3 D, 2 G, 2 Util) / 7 reserve
    Player Stats: G, A, P, PPP, HIT, BLCK, SHP, SOG
    Goalie Stats: W, GAA, SAVE%, SO, Saves

C: Barkov, Schiefele, Tavares, Trocheck
    W: Kucherov, Panarin, Gaudreau, Huberdeau, Wilson, Hall, Keller, Kubalik, Toffoli, Hathaway
    D: Sergachev, Doughty, Gudas
    G: Vasilevskiy, Markstrom, Francouz

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Yahoo finally got back to me...

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Yahoo! Fantasy Sports.

I appreciate your inquiry in regard to pick trades.

The keeper and pick trade features are not related, so if both are used,
    exceptions will need to be made, so that both features are relevant in
    your league.

How exactly you handle the issue is up to you. Some leagues decide to
    implement a round limitation like what you've suggested, other leagues
    choose to move the keepers to the end of the draft, and some choose to
    just add the keepers to any untraded rounds.

There is no set in stone way of adding keepers to draft rounds. They can
    be added to any round in the draft. I hope this helps!

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Thank you again for contacting Yahoo! Fantasy Sports.

Regards,

Benjamin

Yahoo! Fantasy Sports Customer Care
    Sports Fantasy Hockey

So it would seem it's up to the individual commish. I told my league to avoid the first 3 rounds. You could do the first 3 or last 3 but I think they do need to be consecutive rounds.

Dobber Sports Icon

Awesome man, this info will help out a lot of Commissioners out there.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".