Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Karlsson = Respect!!

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky71 View Post
    Fungchen, what do you see this kid signing for? Are we talking Myers money, or Doughty money?
    I'm not sure Rock. A lot of that depends on his agent, Karlsson's intentions and how much security he's willing to forfeit for immediate dollars. The Swede's have notoriously been very accommodating with the clubs that have shown faith in them in the past - Forsberg, Lidstrom, Backstrom, etc. have all been very fair with their clubs. Karlsson is going to make some serious scratch though - if it's a shorter deal, it could be closer to Doughty money... if it's a longer deal, maybe a bit less. With a new CBA looming on the horizon, I wonder if it's in the best interest of both parties to ink something short-term for now?
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Ace

As an owner of both Karlsson and Edler, I must say I'm very happy too. Definitely takes away some of the sting of being so patient with Green as dead weight for so much of the season as the Caps didn't put him on the IR until recently.

I don't think Karlsson is much of a sell high kinda guy... he seems to just keep getting better. He's really starting to look like the next Mike Green.

Dobber Sports Icon

Great piece by Wayne Scanlan of the Ottawa Citizen on Karlsson and possible Norris consideration (see below and link here: http://www.senatorsextra.com/main/er...s-conversation).

The author cites Karlsson's assist on the Spezza goal the other night against the Devils as an example of his skill, and I couldn't agree more; do yourself a favor and check out the replay in the NHL.com boxscore (http://www.nhl.com/ice/recap.htm?id=...navid=sb:recap) and you'll see what I mean, a nice and calm little rush up ice into the neutral zone and then an absolutely perfect timed pass threading the needle and sending Spezza in alone. Poor defensive coverage for sure but still a phenomenal play, beautiful in its simplicity. You are not a hockey fan if you don't admire this play.

Erik getting hard to ignore in Norris conversation
    Posted on 04 January 2012. By Wayne Scanlan

Around Ottawa these days, the all-star vote is the thing.

Voting closes at the stroke of midnight tonight, and on Thursday the NHL will most likely announce starters for the Jan. 29 All Star Game in the nation’s capital. The Senators should be well represented. Heading into the final hours, Senators captain Daniel Alfredsson, centre Jason Spezza and defenceman Erik Karlsson were all on track for starting assignments.

Voting was simple enough; fans punched in votes early and often, with no qualms about the legitimacy of any of Ottawa’s top players taking part in the all-star festivities on their home ice.

But will members of the Professional Hockey Writers Association (PHWA) have Karlsson’s name in mind when they lay down their Norris Trophy votes in April?

Not likely. And yet the soaring level of Karlsson’s play, not to mention the point totals he is amassing, have to at least put him in the conversation when it is time to discuss the NHL’s top defencemen.

Just a couple of months ago, the idea of Karlsson getting Norris consideration would have been laughable. At 21, in his third NHL season, Karlsson was routinely losing physical battles and getting caught out of position.

As recently as Monday, Senators head coach Paul MacLean reworked an old Brian Kilrea expression to talk about the bright and dark sides of Karlsson.

Kilrea once famously screamed into the ear of our pal Shean Donovan, when he was a member of the Ottawa 67′s: “Donovan, I don’t know if you’re playing right wing for me or left wing for them!”

Likewise, at the outset, MacLean wanted to be sure Karlsson was producing points for the Senators, and not the Senators AND the opposition.

“We said we’d like to play him 30 minutes, but we want to make sure they’re all for us,” MacLean said. “We’ll only play him 15 if he’s going to play 15 for us and 15 for them. Right now, he’s playing 27 for us, and we like that.”

Twenty-seven and then some if the game goes into overtime. In Monday’s 3-2 OT victory over the New Jersey Devils, Karlsson set up goals one and three, and was plus one while playing 32 minutes 39 seconds of a 64-minute game.

Karlsson’s slick quarterback pass to send Jason Spezza in for a breakaway goal early in the third was classic Kid Karlsson. Not that he always dishes, Karlsson unloaded enough on his own to tie Ilya Kovalchuk with six shots on goal.

In a word, Karlsson was brilliant, eating up minutes when Chris Phillips went down with an injury in the second period, zipping up and down the ice in the manner of a Swedish rover, shinny rink style.

Karlsson is often far from the position one might expect a defenceman to be in, , but when he scoots back to nullify a breakaway (he got just enough of Kovalchuk’s stick to thwart a semi-breakaway in the second period), is he really out of position?

As MacLean so often understates: “He can skate.”

That Karlsson leads all NHL defencemen in scoring with 37 points in 40 games should gain him entry to the Norris roundtable discussion, but that might be it. Check out the accompanying chart. Since the lockout, only Nicklas Lidstrom of the Detroit Red Wings won the Norris while also leading in points by a defenceman, and he did it twice (2006, 2008).

Mike Green stands out as the point-prolific defenceman with holes in his defensive game who couldn’t quite win over voters.

It is worth noting the description of the Norris Trophy ideal: “The defence player who demonstrates throughout the season the greatest all-around ability in the position.”

In other words, snap a picture of Lidstrom, the seventime Norris winner, and you essentially have the prototype. Only Bobby Orr, with eight, has won more Norris awards.

Lidstrom has been called the perfect defenceman: Big, smooth, smart, tough to beat one-on-one and dangerous with a point shot.

Karlsson’s similarities to Lidstrom probably end with their Swedish birth certificates. A more suitable Norris role model for Karlsson is Duncan Keith, the Chicago Blackhawks’ wheel man who earned top defenceman honours in 2010.

Keith can flat out fly, and so can Karlsson. Neither player is going to intimidate anyone physically, Keith generously listed at 6-1, 196 pounds while Karlsson is 6-0, 180 with his equipment soaking wet.

Their game is darting into openings that scarcely exist, it is moving the puck and skating like the wind on a frozen Canadian river. To watch either player from an arena seat during a live performance is to not take eyes off them – where are they off to now? How will this mad dash turn out?

It takes a while for young guns to build up their Norris street cred. Shea Weber and Drew Doughty are two that have been emerging as threats, although Doughty is having an off-year in L.A.

As they were last season, Zdeno Chara (2009 Norris winner) of the Boston Bruins and Weber of the Nashville Predators will likely be Lidstrom’s main competition.

Down the road, it will be interesting to see which young Ottawa defenceman will be first to win a Norris, Karlsson or Jared Cowen, the Senators rookie who has been a standout defender, a sort of anti-Karlsson, but with emerging versatility.

DEFENCEMAN SCORING LEADERS, NORRIS WINNERS SINCE LOCKOUT

The Senators’ Erik Karlsson leads all NHL blueliners in scoring with 37 points in 40 games. Here’s a look at the season leaders since the lockout (Norris Trophy winners in parentheses).

2010-2011: Lubomir Visnovsky, Anaheim, 18 goals, 50 assists, 68 points, plus-18 (Norris went to Nicklas Lidstrom, Detroit, 62 points)

2009-2010: Mike Green, Washington, 19 goals, 57 assists, 76 points, plus-39 (Duncan Keith, Chicago, 69 points)

2008-2009: Mike Green, Washington, 31 goals, 42 assists, 73 points, plus-24 (Zdeno Chara, Boston, 50 points)

2007-2008: Nicklas Lidstrom, Detroit, 10 goals, 60 assists, 70 points , plus-40 (Lidstrom)

2006-2007: Scott Niedermayer, Anaheim, 15 goals, 54 assists, 69 points, plus-six (Lidstrom, 62 points)

2005-2006: Nicklas Lidstrom, Detroit, 16 goals, 64 assists, 80 points, plus-21 (Lidstrom)

[email protected]

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Great read ross!!!
    14 team points only league
    9 forwards (3 of each position)
    4 defense
    2 goalies
    farm team option
    Must submit top 4 pointing players back into draft at end of every season
    14 rounds
    Can only carry over 12 players each year

Dobber Sports Stud

Finally Karlsson reigns supreme on Dobbers top 300!!

About time if you ask me, I've been pumping this kid as the top d-man all year.....I'm really starting to think that anyone who questions this hasn't really watched him play.

To everyone out there who hasn't tuned into an Ottawa game yet this year, do yourself a favour and check this kid out.

Dobber Sports Guru

Another two assists tonight.

This kid is a BEAST!
    UHL Pittsburgh Penguins

24 Team Fantrax Salary Cap H2H Dynasty League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    , Hits, Blks, FOW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SO
    23 Man Roster - 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3F, 6D, 1G, 4BN, 4IR
    27 Man Minor Team

C-
    Tavares, Stepan, Granlund, Bjugstad, Couturier
    LW- Ryan, Perron, Ennis, Killorn, Spaling
    RW-
    Wheeler, Simmonds, Coyle, Wingels, Shaw
    D-
    JJ, Schultz, Cowen, Muzzin, Bortuzzo, Stanton
    G- Lehtonen, Rm

F: Lehter, Wennberg,
    McNeill, de la Rose, Fast, Leivo, Arnold, Archibald, Lindstrm
    D: Gelinas, Beaulieu, Koekkoek, McCabe, Johns, Gryba
    G: Berra, Talbot, Brossoit, Ullmark, Lieuwen, Rynns

*UHL Champion 2014*

Banned

Nah Karlsson isn't good, he's too small, which means he must suck defensively as well.

Banned

Some Brady fan 590 guy says he'd pick Gardiner over Karlsson if 2008 draft was redone today. Discuss.

Dobber Sports Master

There isn't much to discuss with that comment Ev. Its plain ridiculous. The guy quite clearly does not know what he is talking about.

Dobber Sports Master

Looking at the 2008 draft, if you said they should have drafted Eberle instead, now that would be worth discussing.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic_Wedgy View Post
    Looking at the 2008 draft, if you said they should have drafted Eberle instead, now that would be worth discussing.
    The Sens really did well in that draft - Zack Smith as a 3rd rounder is lovely.

Can safely say that are quite a few teams that picked before the Sens at 15 that sure wish they could get a re-do. I don't think I would trade Karlsson for Stamkos straightup today.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

How many would still take Doughty over Karlsson today. I would say best players out of that first round are going to be:
    1. Stamkos
    2. Karlsson
    3. Filatov (kidding)!
    3. Doughty
    Eberle
    Carlson
    Hodgson
    Gardiner
    Del Zotto
    Colborne

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Lug Tread Lager View Post
    How many would still take Doughty over Karlsson today. I would say best players out of that first round are going to be:
    1. Stamkos
    2. Karlsson
    3. Filatov (kidding)!
    3. Doughty
    Eberle
    Carlson
    Hodgson
    Gardiner
    Del Zotto
    Colborne
    I was fortunate to land both Doughty and Karlsson because Karlsson went undrafted in our league in 2008 - I grabbed him in 2009, but wow I think that is a tough question - Karlsson not only contributes production but he means a lot to the value of other players on the team. Don't see Doughty doing that at the moment.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by dodospice View Post
    Karlsson is for real in my eyes and he is dynamic and a beast. I am very happy that I got him in the 2nd round!
    Second round? That seems like an awfully high place to pick him, even based on his production so far. Second round in some sort of semi-keeper maybe?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Keeper League. goals, assists, plusminus, hits, blocks, sog, shg, gwg, ppp

I can't only keep two of Yandle, Edler, Karlsson. Obviously Karlsson, but I am town between choosing Yandle, because I think Edler gives a bit more versatility in some categories, and on a better team. What do you guys think?