Thread: Goalie help request: Drop Smith for Halak or Emery?

Dobber Sports Recruit

Default Goalie help request: Drop Smith for Halak or Emery?

Thanks guys. One year league with points for Starts, Wins, SV% and shutouts.

I currently have Fleury, Elliott and Smith...but Halak and Emery are available. What would you think of dropping Smith for one of those two guys. Obviously it would lower my starts as Smith is getting a ton of games, just wonder if the value of Halak or Emery is too much to pass on.

Dobber Sports Ace

I wouldnt make a moveā€¦ Smith is just in a bit of a funk right now but he is the #1 and will turn things around
    Emery will fall back down to earth soon and will split starts with crawford
    same story with Halak

edit: oops didnt read that you have elliot… Halak and Elliot handcuff would be pretty badass.
    Last edited by PatyOFurniture; December 17, 2011 at 2:38 PM.
    12 Team, One year, Points only - G,A,PPG,SHG, no positional restrictions
    2 points goalie W, 2 points goalie SHO, -.5 goalie loss, start 1 goalie per night
    Hughes, Panarin, Connor, Konecny, Terry, Necas, Gaudreau, Schmaltz, Nichushkin, Zacha
    Makar, Hedman, Andersson, DeAngelo
    Gustavsson, Talbot

Dobber Sports Genius

I'll say it straight, IMO Smith is NOT a very good NHL goalie, Tippets systems do help him so maybe there is value in that.

I would drop him for Halak. He is more talented and just like Smith plays for a coach with a goalie friendly system.

Along with that Halak will make a dynamic duo along with Elliott, who I never expected this level of play out of, so when he returns to this stratosphere Halak will be ready and available to jump in.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Smith is not a "very good goalie" in the way that Bryzgalov was not a "very good goalie": both are decent goalies playing in the Phoenix system, which makes them post up nearly excellent numbers.
    I would definitely keep Smith, there's no question. He is starting for a very sound team, and has secured the number 1 job. Both Halak and Emery at this points are much greater risks, and will be lucky to get 50% of the starts from here on out. I'm not saying they won't, but I see Smith as getting more starts and putting up better numbers.
    16-team Keeper, Keep 7
    Cats: G, A, P, +/-, BS, PIM, PPG, PPA, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, W, L, GAA, SV%, SHO

C: Giroux (RW), Shore, Fisher, Schwartz
    LW: Couture (C), Benn (C), Killorn (C), Malone
    RW: Yakupov, Voracek, Clowe (LW), Downie (LW), Vrbata, Hornqvist, Callahan
    D: Schultz, Gudas, Gardiner, Kindl, Trouba, Ballard
    G: Rask, Emery, Lehner, Lack