Thread: Pitkanen

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Pitkanen

What do you all think Pitkanen\'s future is?

I think he\'ll goto arbitration, get signed with phili for 1 year, and be shipped out of town...

How many of you out there think he wants to stay in phili? How many of you think phili wants to keep him?
    12 Team Dynasty League w/ Salary Cap (Updated: 3/23/2011)
    (CBS Sports Commissioner's League)
    Maximum Salary Cap: 70.5 million
    Roster Limit(s):
    Total: 23 + 2 available IR slot
    Active: C, C, C, W, W, W, W, D, D, D, D, G, G
    23 + 1 Man Roster (69.62 million) - 17 Keepers
    - Crosby (IR), Carter, Tavares, Duchene, Anisimov, Desharnais
    - Ovechkin, Giroux, Downie, Hall (LTIR), Tanguay, Samuelsson, Whitney, Justin Williams, Zuccarello
    - Green, Phaneuf, Doughty, Letang, Carlson, Karlsson
    - Price, Halak, Neuvirth, Varlamov
    Scoring Setup: W, L, GA, Saves, SO
    G, A, PIM, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, SOG, GWG, HT, FOW

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re:Pitkanen

That is exactly what I considered would happen. I am sure that Philadelphia has had several inquiries about him and they are just \'setting the bar\'. The arbitrator will resolve the dispute and establish a figure. Teams will then know what it will cost them. Some will be in, some will be out. Those that are in are going to \'anti up\'. Another good move by Holmgren.

Some team might ask for permission to talk with him to see if they can establish a salary and avoid arbitration. Holmgren may, or may not, allow that to happen depending on what the other team has to offer. The other thing about doing that is it will cost them more, but they get the player.

A lot of what will happen is dependant upon the nature of the talks that the Flyers have had with Pitkanen, thus far, and where they consider he fits on their new team.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

lanky522 wrote:
    What do you all think Pitkanen\'s future is?

I think he\'ll goto arbitration, get signed with phili for 1 year, and be shipped out of town...

How many of you out there think he wants to stay in phili? How many of you think phili wants to keep him?
    As far as I know , he is going to arbitration, and I think Philly will trade him to the Oilers for a couple of those 1st rounders Edmonton has...I see something being done with him by Friday. Now that they have Timmonen, they will ship Pitkanen out.

Dobber Sports Icon

dynamo45 wrote:
    As far as I know , he is going to arbitration, and I think Philly will trade him to the Oilers for a couple of those 1st rounders Edmonton has...I see something being done with him by Friday. Now that they have Timmonen, they will ship Pitkanen out.
    Arbitration isn\'t for a while yet. It doesn\'t happen until late in the off season. If he\'s going to arbritration, he proably won\'t be moved until after that...
    12 Team Dynasty League w/ Salary Cap (Updated: 3/23/2011)
    (CBS Sports Commissioner's League)
    Maximum Salary Cap: 70.5 million
    Roster Limit(s):
    Total: 23 + 2 available IR slot
    Active: C, C, C, W, W, W, W, D, D, D, D, G, G
    23 + 1 Man Roster (69.62 million) - 17 Keepers
    - Crosby (IR), Carter, Tavares, Duchene, Anisimov, Desharnais
    - Ovechkin, Giroux, Downie, Hall (LTIR), Tanguay, Samuelsson, Whitney, Justin Williams, Zuccarello
    - Green, Phaneuf, Doughty, Letang, Carlson, Karlsson
    - Price, Halak, Neuvirth, Varlamov
    Scoring Setup: W, L, GA, Saves, SO
    G, A, PIM, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, SOG, GWG, HT, FOW

Dobber Sports Expert

If they\'re smart Philly will let him go. If they\'re really smart they\'ll get something good back for him. Pitkanen skates well and passes well, but lacks defensive intelligence between the ears. His numbers a few years ago were largely based on Forsberg\'s presence. Pitkanen passed to Forsberg and Forsberg found Gagne or Knuble to finish the play. Good luck to him if he goes to the Oilers...picture this...Pitkanen to Hemsky to...well...maybe Pisani = another minus 20 season.
    10 Team [keep 10 + 4 prospects]
    Scoring F=1[g/a]; D=2[g], 1[a]; G=2[w], -1[L], 1[OT], 2[SO] Top 12 F, 6 D, 2 G count

Forwards
    Crosby, Ovechkin, Backstrom, Wheeler, Byfuglien, Hornqvist, Simmonds, Ladd, Zuccarello, Ribeiro, Desharnais, Semin, MacArthur, Moulson, Purcell, Soderberg, Dupuis
    Defense
    Keith, Goligoski, Carlson, Krug, Trouba, Streit, Pouliot, Ceci, Nurse, Martinez
    Goalie
    Fleury/Price/Rask

Dobber Sports Stud

andrewklassen wrote:
    If they\'re smart Philly will let him go. If they\'re really smart they\'ll get something good back for him. Pitkanen skates well and passes well, but lacks defensive intelligence between the ears. His numbers a few years ago were largely based on Forsberg\'s presence. Pitkanen passed to Forsberg and Forsberg found Gagne or Knuble to finish the play. Good luck to him if he goes to the Oilers...picture this...Pitkanen to Hemsky to...well...maybe Pisani = another minus 20 season.
    I\'m not ready to pass judgment on his defensive ability just yet; not with the team he\'s had to play for. He had a rough year, yes, but the kid has the potenntial to be an offensive dynamo, potentially even a Norris winner someday. He is not as strong defensively as I\'d like, but he\'s also very young and should continue to develop. If I were Philly I\'d hold on to him.

And from the fantasy perspective - short of a move to Edmonton, his market value will probably never be lower than it is right now. If he hasn\'t been traded by draft day, and I didn\'t own him already, I\'d then start pursuing him aggressively before he rebounds next season. Of course, if he gets traded and it\'s not Edmonton, his value could very well skyrocker (a la M.A. Bergeron).

Post edited by: Thieving Giraffe, at: 2007/06/19 14:57
    T.G.

Dobber Sports Expert

I liked your response TG. Point well made although I\'m skeptical about the Norris trophy potential. I had Pitkanen in my pool last year so understandably I\'m somewhat sour on his production. The potential is there for good offensive numbers (I\'m not sure about his defense although this could improve with time). It seemed he lacked confidence last year (in fairness...the entire Flyer team falls into this category). With a more consistent team system, better defensive partners, and some offensive chemistry his numbers could rebound.

If he wants big money based on his \'potential\' value [see Zherdev and Hemsky], I\'d be very tempted to trade him as a GM.
    Scoring F=1[g/a]; D=2[g], 1[a]; G=2[w], -1[L], 1[OT], 2[SO] Top 12 F, 6 D, 2 G count

Forwards
    Crosby, Ovechkin, Backstrom, Wheeler, Byfuglien, Hornqvist, Simmonds, Ladd, Zuccarello, Ribeiro, Desharnais, Semin, MacArthur, Moulson, Purcell, Soderberg, Dupuis
    Defense
    Goalie
    Fleury/Price/Rask

Dobber Sports Stud

You\'re probably right about the Norris AK - I do think he has the potential, but it\'s certainly not something that\'s likely to happen. Also a good point, his demands and the results of arbitration will have a major impact on whether or not Philadelphia decides to keep him.

But one of the things I\'ve found in my experience is that there\'s often a greater risk in feeling compelled to action than there is in playing it safe. And I often find that when rumors like \"Pitkanen to Emdonton?\" start to float around, market values plummet and otherwise smart GM\'s end up selling - and buying - players for unjustifyably low prices.

Calculated risk = good. Panicky risk = often bad.

TG\'s contribution to the rumor mill: Pitkanen to Anaheim if Neidermayer retires? Spread the word!!!

Post edited by: Thieving Giraffe, at: 2007/06/19 18:36
    T.G.

Dobber Sports Expert

I\'m just starting to get into \'keeper league\' stuff so your advice is valued and appreciated. Point taken [or given in the sense of your karma]!

Forwards
    Defense
    Goalie
    Fleury/Price/Rask

Dobber Sports Ninja

If this kid was so good then why would the Flyers be at all interested in moving him? I don\'t really get it. Don\'t get me wrong, I\'ve been on the Pitkanen train for a while and it would appear he just had a down year last year on a team that couldn\'t get anything right.

But I would say that any team interested in acquiring this guy should be careful not to overpay. When a team is fine with getting rid of someone who was being talked about as a Norris candidate and possible franchise defenseman not that long ago, then red flags immediately start going off for me,

Dobber Sports Ninja

doulos wrote:
    If this kid was so good then why would the Flyers be at all interested in moving him?
    I don\'t believe I\'ve heard anyone from the Flyers actually talk about moving Pitkanen. I\'m sure half of the rumours are made up from bored media guys.

Young offensive defencemen are highly sought after in the \"new\" NHL. Forget the ugly plus minus, that will change depending on the team. All it meant is that he logged a lot of ice time against the top lines while playing for a bad team. That will change this year, the Flyers are looking like they are significantly improved and will be a decent hard working young team. While I\'d love to see him play for the Oilers, I think he\'s staying put for the next few years.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Stud

I agree. I haven\'t heard much about Pitkanen moving, and if I was a betting man I believe they keep Pitkanen and let Timonen mentor him.
    12 Team H2H (Daily) - Keep 10 + 5(Farm)
    4C/3LW/3RW/4D/3G/4Bench/3IR
    G A Pts +/- STP GWG SOG/ W Sv% GAA SHO
    Centers:
    A. Barkov (IR), C. McDavid, J. Carter, Y. Gourde(LW), N. Paul(LW), C. Stephenson
    LWs:
    F. Forsberg, J. Guentzel, A. Duclair(RW), E. Haula(C), A. Killorn
    RWs:
    N. Ehlers(LW), V. Tarasenko, F. Gaudreau(C), V. Podkolzin
    D:
    T. Chabot, C. Makar, M. Dumba, OEL, N. Schmidt
    G:
    S. Bobrovky, T. Demko, J. Gibson(IR), A. Stolarz(IR)
    Farm:
    J. Annunen, A. Kaliyev, A. Lundell, F. Lysell, M. Rossi