Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Pittsburgh Penguins

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Pens Report 12/19/11

I read the Pens Report, you get the highlights... via Penguins.NHL.com

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=607159

Penguins' Jordan Staal, Craig Adams, and Paul Martin are not on the ice for practice this morning.

Bylsma just provided us with a smorgasbord of injury updates. Ready? Here they are...

No new updates on Bortuzzo, Park, Crosby, Letang and Martin

- Jeffrey is starting to up his rehab and hopefully we'll see him return to the ice soon.

- Staal and Adams will be on the ice Tuesday morning and are listed as day to day
    - Lovejoy has been medically cleared for full practice. This was his first one with the team.

- Michalek has also been cleared for full practice and he's day to day

The Reverend Lovejoy [Ben Lovejoy] has returned to practice and looks to get into game-action soon after missing 18 games with an arm/hand/wrist injury.

Here's more with Ben Lovejoy from after practice:

Lovejoy told us after practice that he's feeling great and though he couldn't yet provide specifics, he would like to be back "very soon."

"My arm feels good. I think I’m ready to play," he said. "I’m in shape and ready to go. Got to get the timing back, but I felt great today."

Bylsma said Lovejoy has been medically cleared for full practice and this is his first one with the team. When asked what it would take for Ben to return to game action, Bylsma responded, "The time he needs to be in practice is minimal compared to maybe someone who hasn’t been able to skate and do what he’s been able to do. We’re hopeful that Ben’s going to get some action in before the break."
    More on his injury/rehab:

On where he is in his rehab process:
    My arm feels good. I think I’m ready to play. I’m out there battling. My strength is back. I felt great. I’m going to have it taped for a while, but I’ve been skating for five weeks now and I’m in shape and ready to go. Got to get a little timing back, but I felt great today.

On when he’ll play in a game:

I would like it to be very soon. It’s not my call right now.

On how much he wants to get back with all the injuries to the defense:
    Oh, I’ve been going crazy in the press box. I’m dying to get back. Today I don’t remember practice ever being so fun. After just skating by myself, with one other guy and Mike Kadar and our physical therapist, it was a blast to have a goalie, it was a blast to pass to other players and be competitive again.

On the challenges of a wrist injury:

I’ve been very lucky. I never had a great deal of pain. It was obviously broken, you could see it. But we take X-rays every home game, I get to go get a new one with our doctors. They’ve told me I’m getting closer, getting closer. I came in for the game Dec. 17 and they said that my bone was healed and it was up to me – a matter of me being comfortable on the ice and being ready to go. I’ve worked really hard the past five weeks to be in game shape and I feel I’m ready to go.

On if maintaining his conditioning is a benefit of his injury:
    Definitely. Dustin Jeffrey tells me every third day how lucky I am to have a broken wrist and not a knee injury, because I’m able to do conditioning. It sucked to do it for five weeks, I was out there on the ice at 8:30 or 9 every morning for an hour. It was just me and it was just skating. For a while it was just one-handed. I do think I’m a pretty skilled one-handed these days (laughs), but luckily I’m allowed to use two again and I’m really excited to be back.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Interesting article regarding Concussions:

Dejan Kovacevic: Solving Sports' Big Headache

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_772682.html

This article isn't necessarily Crosby [or even hockey] related; however, I felt I would include it anyway. It's from a Pittsburgh sportswriter, and poses the question of whether enough is being done in professional sports to prevent/diagnose concussions.

Pretty decent read.

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    To clarify, those are just my words...

I wasn't quoting anyone in particular. There is no official update on Letang outside the fact that he's not skating, and only doing light-workouts. I'm pretty much just just estimating that his concussion is "moderate" to "severe" based on the facts I've seen.

Sorry for the confusion.

No worries. Thanks for clarifying.
    League:Fantrax 18 Team Dynasty, H2H (4C, 8W, 6D, 1G)
    Cats:G, A, GWG, PPP, SHP, SOG, H+B, FOW, S, SV%, W, GAA

C: Backstrom,Giroux,MacKinnon,Seguin
    W:
    D.Brown,Hartnell,Hossa,P.Kane
    Kesler,Marleau,Perron,Zibanejad

D: Boyle,Del Zotto,Doughty,D.Hamilton,Hedman,Markov
    G: Rinne
    Bench: Braun,Comeau, Demers,DeHaan,Polak,Stempniak,Wingels --Fleury

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Pens Report 12/20/11 - Gameday vs. Blackhawks

I won't be able to update the post-game recap until very late tonight [if at all]; as I'm going to the game with some old friends tonight...

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=607436

In any event here are some Pens Report highlights for the day:

Coachspeak with Dan Bylsma…

On the Chicago Blackhawks:
    We don’t get to see them very often and when we do it’s mostly the highlights of them. They’re very good lately, 9-1 in their last 10, 5-0 in their last five. (Ray) Emery is playing extremely well for them in net. You can talk about (Patrick) Sharp with his goal scoring as of late, Patrick Kane and Toews and the whole staff. Their power play on the road is right around 26 percent so it’s dangerous in that regard. It’s not a pleasant thing to watch on video. It’s pretty dangerous, their power play, and they’ve been pretty good at that. We expect a very skilled team that will come at you with a lot of skill, but a lot of speed as well. Their defense will be joining. (Duncan) Keith is a factor everywhere on the ice, especially up ice and in the offensive zone. He’s a guy you have to be aware of, especially with the way that he can be found with the skill players. Kane and Hossa is a get-up-ice player to make plays. We’re expecting a real nice match tonight against the Blackhawks.

On the decision to make the morning skate optional:
    It’s the fourth one this year. On Sunday we didn’t practice. We had a good skate yesterday and we’d already started to focus on some of the things in tonight’s match yesterday in practice so we had our staff this morning to made it a “get what you need skate” for the players.

On improving play in the neutral zone:
    We think the neutral zone is a big key for our team and the way we play on both sides of the puck. Defensively and offensively it’s one of the factors for us being able to get to our game and allow us to play with speed. When we’re talking about improving there it’s a focus for our team. That is a real big factor for our team. Good play in the neutral zone, taking care of the puck, executing the right way with speed and also on the other side of the puck with our gap. It’s a real big factor for us and getting to our game. We talk about what we can to better and it focuses around the neutral zone.

On winning the Jack Adams award because of his team’s success with injuries:
    If the reason (I won the Jack Adams award) was because of the injuries then I wish it would go away. There are a couple strengths in our team and our room. It allows the guys going on the ice to have success. I think the way we play everyone understands that and knows what it is in our organization from Wilkes-Barre/Scranton to Pittsburgh. Guys in that room give them a chance to have success on the ice. The guys in that room are a big, big part of that. You’re talking about it being different at different times, maybe different than last year. Jordan Staal has been an absolute leader for our team this year. He’s been dealing with a bit of an injury the last week or so, but really stepped up on the ice, where he’s been very good, and off the ice in the dressing room. Guys like Craig Adams have played big roles. Craig is an important penalty killer for us. He doesn’t get a lot of minutes, but he’s very much a leader in that room. He’s stepped up. That was held last year by a lot of guys, Brooks Orpik, Zbynek Michalek. That’s the strength in that room. When guys come up from Wilkes-Barre they have a chance for success because they expect the standard in that room of what the guys demand. They also know what to do and how to do it. That gives them a chance to step in and add to what we’re trying to do. You can see that in Wilkes-Barre as well.

On players watching video:

(Video) is a little more intensified with a younger player or new player in the organization, but not dramatically. I think since our last game, five of the six defensemen have watched their entire game with the coach. That happens pretty regularly. We try to get to every player with their shifts, clips once every three games, in addition to what we do with the team. It’s a big part of every player’s foundation. With Simon (Despres) in particular it’s probably going to happen every game. It happens every game with him in Wilkes-Barre. There are details in how we play and improving his game, some of the details of his defending and what he’s bringing to the game. When the players are with the coach, 80 percent of them watch their shifts on their own. You can bring it home and watch it, and we have four computers just for the players to watch on their own.
    The Penguins face the NHL-leading Blackhawks tonight at Consol Energy Center in what should be an exciting, offensive game.

- Adams and Staal [lower body] skated this morning [optional]; they are both Game-time decisions for tonight's game.

Here's a quote from Staalsy:

"Today was a really good day. Everything felt really good. I should be in tonight if coach wants it [smiles]."
    So yeah... Staal should be in the lineup tonight. He looks to be recovered from whatever LBI was ailing him this week.

Dobber Sports Sage

Just in case you haven't heard yet mounD that Malkin guy is pretty good. Umm maybe he had it backwards maybe Malkin is/was inflating Crosby's numbers

3A thru 40
    Last edited by bigbabybuda; December 21, 2011 at 12:12 AM.
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Malkin is feasting on Blackhawks tonight baby!! Love watching this guy play, he's like a ghost out there.
    10 Team Yahoo H2H - Keep 5 - G,A,+/-,PPP,PIMS,HITS SOG,GWG/W,GAA,SV%,SO
    C: Tavares, Pavelski, Fabbri, Matthews, Rakell,
    LW: Landeskog, Sedin, Perron
    RW: Kucherov, Oshie, Radulov, Backes
    D: Subban, Petry, Gostisbehere, Green, Yandle, Werenski
    G: Price, Talbot

Canadian Dad Blog - http://canadiandad.com

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Ugh Malkin is making it really hard for me to make cheap trade offer for him.
    12-Team H2H Weekly Total Points,F-10,D-4,G-2,Bench-4. Keep any 5.
    [G3..A1..SHG+1..SHA+1..BLK.3..HIT.1..SOG.1..FOW.01]
    [Win3..SV.3..GA-3]
    F - Tavares, MacKinnon, Duchene, Eichel, Okposo, E. Kane[IR], Dubinsky[IR], Larkin, Ehlers, Yakupov, Voracek, Foligno, Ennis, Draisaitl, Nelson
    D - Carlson, Giordano, E. Johnson, Krug
    G - Price[IR], Rask, Raanta

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post

- Some more vindication for Matty Niskanen [and a little bit myself for recommending him as a pickup]. He's really blossomed into a quality option in Letang's absence, which could be quite a while longer...
    Glad hes clicking and running with his opportunity. Watched him in Dallas and have lost track not getting all the Pens games. Thanks for the hot streak injury reminder as well! 10 fpts in 2 games here chooochoooo!

*also fwiw don't think he got near enough credit for the 35pts on that squad as a sophie in 08 was a ruff year in Dallas only 2 20 goal guys and Louie at 36g
    Last edited by J_Blu3Jack3t; December 21, 2011 at 8:46 AM.
    C- Sharp, Marleau, Dubz
    LW- J Neal, T Hall,
    RW- Nichushkin, Ovechkin, Wheller, Tarasenko
    D- Markov, Shattenkirk, Del Zotto, Seabrook
    G- Lehtonen, Smith, Thomas
    12 Team Yahoo

IR -

Dobber Sports Icon

Pierre McGuire, for all his faults and bombasticity (is that a word? it should be because it describes Pierre), knows his hockey and in particular knows the Penguins.

He talks to lots of people and, like McKenzie, he's often dead-on in his assessments as to what is happening in the league, injury issues, etc.

Well he just said on TSN990 (Montreal) that he wouldn't be surprised if Crosby is back the 1st game after January 1st, and if Letang is back even before then. Great news for Letang and Crosby owners, and Pens fans of course.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by ross10019 View Post
    Pierre McGuire, for all his faults and bombasticity (is that a word? it should be because it describes Pierre), knows his hockey and in particular knows the Penguins.

He talks to lots of people and, like McKenzie, he's often dead-on in his assessments as to what is happening in the league, injury issues, etc.

Well he just said on TSN990 (Montreal) that he wouldn't be surprised if Crosby is back the 1st game after January 1st, and if Letang is back even before then. Great news for Letang and Crosby owners, and Pens fans of course.
    Thanks for the possible updates, Ross. Pierre indeed knows his Penguins...

I apologize there wasn't an update / recap for last night's game vs. the Hawks, I was incredibly busy and visiting with some old friends - in addition to attending the game and getting drunk - so I wasn't able to take notes in my usual fashion. In any event, I wanted to note a couple things from last night's game:

- Malkin is rounding into his "elite" Conn Smythe / Art-Ross winning form, and right now he's gotta be the favorite for the scoring title [even w/ Giroux back in the lineup tonight vs. Dallas]. With another 3A last night, Malkin has 8 pts in his last two games, tallying 39 points [15g] in only 27 games this season. Look out NHL, this guy is on fire...

- Malkin's favorite line-mate has also been super-productive since Crosby left the lineup again. He added another goal last night [and could have added another on an "early" whistle in the 2nd period], bringing his season total to 19G, good for 2nd in the NHL. James Neal continues to fire pucks, adding another 6 SOG last night [season total 136; tops in NHL]. Might as well mention Kunitz [who scored a beautiful goal last night] while we're talking about Geno's wingers... Played a whopping 7:42 on the PP last night. Clearly Disco Dan is in love w/ the Neal-Malkin-Kunitz pairing.

- Marc-Andre Fleury was OUTSTANDING in last night's game, especially in the 3rd period. Although the Penguins were good offensively last night, they seemed to be standing around watching last night in the 3rd - especially against Kane/Hossa's line; MAF was up to the task, making 17 saves in the final period to clinch the win for the Penguins. On nights like last, Fleury is needed to stand on his head and preserve the win... Elite.

- Matt Niskanen continues to produce... I hope some of you guys took a flier on him, as I've been telling you he's a good pickup for awhile now. Well, he added another 2 apples last night, and has really been quality in all situations. Disregard last night's -1 rating, as both goals scored against his pairing were largely Orpik's fault. On the first goal, Orpik's gap was pretty much terrible, and on the other his coverage was completely blown; Niskanen didn't exactly "deserve" those - ratings, again showing the shortcomings of the statistic as a whole. In any event, Niskanen's play has been solid as all hell in Kris Letang's absence. Clutch-city.

- Still on the topic of defensemen, I've gotta mention that Simon Despres has been improving ever single game. This kid is definitely NHL-ready. Probably his best asset is his physical size [although his frame is kind of "slim"], and he's getting better at using his body to separate the man from puck in the corners. He had a number of quality defensive plays last night, and I am very impressed with his development. Long-term, I see this guy as a solid second pairing D-man with PP2 upside [most likely behind Letang, Morrow].

- I enjoyed getting drunk during last night's game I hope you guys weren't banking on great coverage or anything, and I hope you can settle for the little blurbs above...

EDIT:

I also wanted to mention Engelland's "flying hit" on Marcus Kruger. He has a disciplinary hearing w/ Shanny on Thursday; I would expect some supplementary discipline on this particular hit, most likely a couple games. Engelland clearly left his feet on the play, and his hands got up high on the follow-through. For those of you that haven't seen the Hit, here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q1eMeYDMEo
    Last edited by mounD; December 21, 2011 at 7:57 PM.

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Pretty funny rookie prank...

The players decided to play a prank on one of the Pens' rookies at the Penguins' skate this morning:

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.ht...id=DL|PIT|home

CONSOL Energy Center had a new item hanging from the rafters on Wednesday afternoon. But it wasn’t a new Penguins banner.

It was the shoes and clothes of rookie defenseman Simon Despres. The 20-year-old’s shoes, pants and leather jacket were hooked on a hanger and lowered on a wire about 30 feet above the ice.
    Pretty funny stuff...

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Matty Niskanen

For the past week or so, I've been recommending Matt Niskanen as a temporary fantasy play while Letang is out of the Penguins line-up.

Well, it looks like someone agrees with me...

Great Frozenpool Forensics Analysis from Jason Arbuthnot on Matt Niskanen:

http://www.dobberhockey.com/index.ph...ics&Itemid=117

Another article from Yahoo's Scott Pianowski features Matt Niskanen in their Weekly "10 Pack" article, as well:

http://sports.yahoo.com/fantasy/blog...antasy-wp13103

If you're in a bind, and you're struggling for production from your Defense - especially in Roto leagues - don't sleep on Matt Niskanen. Chances are he won't be available on your Wire for much longer. The Pittsburgh Penguins are leaning on his solid play, why shouldn't your fantasy squad?

Dobber Sports Stud

Hey mounD, any news on Staal? Apparently he tweaked his groin in the first period against the hawks but kept playing anyway. Has he reinjured himself?
    [SIZE=1][I] 10 Team H2H Roto (Start 3C,3LW,3RW,5D,4Bench,2G in bold)
    C: Kopitar, Getzlaf, Haula
    LW: Vrana, Svechnikov, Bertuzzi
    RW: Brown, Kase, Rakell
    D: Burns, Giordano, Hedman, Gustafsson, Josi
    G: Vasilevskiy, Rittich
    "Bench":
    IR: Malkin

Dobber Sports Giant

Derek Engelland Suspended three games for his hit on Chicago Blackhawks' Marcus Kruger.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...d=60&id=144284

Can't say that I'm surprised one bit...

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by potatoetree View Post
    Hey mounD, any news on Staal? Apparently he tweaked his groin in the first period against the hawks but kept playing anyway. Has he reinjured himself?
    I was about to do the daily updates, and briefly touch on the Staal situation; I guess I might as well shoot you a quick reply first...

The Pens Report w/ some Player updates:

Bylsma gave a few player updates at the start of his media conference.

He said that there is no update yet on Deryk Engelland's situation, who had a hearing this morning for his hit on Chicago's Marcus Kruger in Tuesday's game. (updated)

Bylsma also said:

"Malkin and Staal returned to the ice and we expect them to play in the game (Friday) night.

"As far as the guys not on the ice, there are no updates. No change in status. It’s status quo. Paul Martin is still day to day. Zbynek Michalek was obviously on the ice, he’s still day to day at this point."