Page 32 of 38 FirstFirst ... 22 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast

Thread: Pittsburgh Penguins

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Re: Pittsburgh Penguins

Is Kris Letang back to being a fantasy stud? 9 SOG tonight. Wow.

Dobber Sports Ace

Out with Kessel + Maatta. In with Galchenyuk, Kahun, Tanev + $1.5M to spare (give or take).

Johnson and Gudbranson still on the roster...

Personally, I liked acquiring Bjugstad + McCann. I think it was steal - but nearly every other move this year is a head scratcher. Anyone more optimistic?
    H2H Dynasty, 16 Team Salary: G, A, PPP, SOG, Hits, BKS, SHTOI, W, Sv%, Saves, GA%, (4C, 4RW, 4LW, 6D, 1G)

C: Crosby, Malkin, Larkin, Hartman, McBain, Joshua
    RW: Rantanen, Konecny, Strome, Batherson, Zetterland
    LW: Buchnevich, Ehlers, Marchessault, Bertuzzi, Acciari
    D: McNabb, Ferraro, Hakanpaa, Lyabushkin, Samuelsson, Bernard-Docker, Emberson
    G: Merzlikens, Daccord, Samsonov
    Prospects: Kurich, Lucius, Pelletier, Cristall, Yurov, Beckman, Brisson, Dean, Phillips, Poitras

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by jdreed3184 View Post
    Out with Kessel + Maatta. In with Galchenyuk, Kahun, Tanev + $1.5M to spare (give or take).

Johnson and Gudbranson still on the roster...

Personally, I liked acquiring Bjugstad + McCann. I think it was steal - but nearly every other move this year is a head scratcher. Anyone more optimistic?
    Nope. The Bjugstad / McCann trade has basically been Rutherford's one solid move since the back to back Cups. And he's shown again that he has absolutely no idea what is actually wrong with this team by refusing to address the Jack Johnson situation. Not only that, but he doubled down with that same logic signing Tanev to that ridiculous six-year albatross. They've got almost $11 million tied up in Johnson, Gudbranson, and Tanev. That's just a disgrace.

As long as Jack Johnson is getting 20 minutes / night, this team is going to struggle. Sure, they'll still make the playoffs, but it ain't gonna be pretty. If Malkin is attached to Johnson at 5v5 again, expect another down season.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Giant

Ok so the Penguins have $842k in cap space right now with Marcus Pettersson and Aston-Reese left to sign. Evolving Wild's contract projections have Pettersson 2 years x $1.6 million, Aston-Reese at 2 years x $1.268 million. If the Penguins send down Trotman and Ruhwedel, then that's another $1.4 million in cap space. So we're looking at roughly $2.242 million.

Let's run a little experiment to see if it's possible to address the defense. I think the forward group should be fine, but adding a prime top4 LHD would put the Penguins over the top. Pettersson performed remarkably well last season playing lots of minutes with Johnson, Gudbranson, and Ruhwedel (the Penguins worst regular defensemen). But I'd still be nervous going into the season with him slated to play top4 LHD minutes with Schultz. If the Penguins can use, say, Bryan Rust to get rid of Jack Johnson's contract without taking any salary back that's another $6.75 million + $2.242 million = just about $9 million in cap space.

If Marcus Pettersson and ZAR contracts come in as projected, that would leave the Penguins with about $6.1 million in cap space with a roster spot for a LHD ... I wonder if there are any good LHD free agents right now. Hmm ...

gardiner-3yr.png

If there's some possibility that you could sign Gardiner at $5.5-6 million, I say damn the torpedoes just spend right up to the cap. Flexibility be damned if there's any possibility of getting a guy like Gardiner. That would instantly transform what should be a reasonable top4 into an elite defense group with an amazing top4 and incredible depth all through the lineup. Imagine this lineup:

McCann-Crosby-Guentzel
    Galchenyuk-Malkin-Kahun
    Simon-Bjugstad-Hornqvist
    Tanev-Blueger-ZAR

Gardiner-Letang
    Dumoulin-Schultz
    Pettersson-Gudbranson

Hard to believe the Penguins wouldn't be among the Cup favorites with this group. It's just incredible. That second line could be a bit of an adventure defensively, but there's a ton of speed and skill - and you get the benefit of 5v5 pairing with Dumoulin and Schultz ... instead of Jack Johnson and whoever is trying to drag his corpse around. Pettersson-Gudbranson could be an incredible third depth pair, as Pettersson has already shown the ability to crush third pair minutes with the worst D partners the Penguins have to offer. I'm already drooling at the thought of Gardiner-Letang providing such dynamic transition opportunities with Crosby-Guentzel at 5v5. It would just be flat-out magic.

And don't even get me started on that third line. Simon-Bjugstad-Hornqvist would be the most ridiculous "analytics" third line in the NHL. Their possession metrics would be off the charts, I don't know if they'd ever surrender a goal at 5v5 lol. And if your 4th line is Tanev-Blueger-ZAR, you could do a lot worse than a defensively responsible, speedy, tenacious trio with some skill to burn. I really like Blueger's upside just as an NHLer, and every member of this line had very positive Defensive xG and Corsi impacts last season. That bottom-six could be suffocating, possession-driving groups anchored by a dominant back end.

If Rutherford could manage to pull this off, I would take back every single negative thing I've ever even thought about the guy.

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Veteran

mounD for GM. Make this happen. Let’s give Sid and Geno a decent shot at a couple more Cups.
    Yahoo! 10 Team Keep 6, H2H - 1 win
    G, A, SOG, PPP, FOW, H, B, Wins, GAA, Sv%, SHO
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 1Ut, 4D, 3G, 6Bench, 2-I/R+, 1NA

C: Bennett, Couturier, Zacha
    LW: Draisaitl-C, Stutzle-C, Kaprizov, E.Kane
    RW: Marner I/R,T.Thompson-C, Necas-C, Nichushkin
    D: Dahlin, Bouchard, Gudas, Romanov, KA Miller
    G: Vasilevskiy , Skinner, Gustavsson, Woll, Allen
    4 weekly minimum start’s required
    I/R: Sergachev

When I say nothing, I say everything. J.White

Dobber Sports Titan

Aside from another team taking on both Rust and Gudbranson's salaries, it's a solid pitch
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Aside from another team taking on both Rust and Gudbranson's salaries, it's a solid pitch
    For one thing, Gudbranson was actually kinda decent playing limited third-pair minutes with Pettersson at his side. Ideally, you could go back with that as your bottom pair feeling pretty good about it despite Gudbranson's $4 million cap hit. Secondly, I don't think the Penguins would be willing to part with the assets necessary to dump both Johnson and Gudbranson's contracts, and I would much rather get rid of Johnson at this point. Like I said, Gudbranson wasn't bad playing limited minutes, and if he's on the third pair you've got all three pairings with a LHD-RHD.

I like Bryan Rust, but he seems like the most logical choice to move out. He is pretty versatile, but with the Tanev signing he's kind of obsolete in the Penguins bottom-six. Tanev's defensive xG and Corsi impacts are superior over a three-year sample, and with an abundance of top-six caliber wings (Guentzel, McCann, Galchenyuk, Kahun) I doubt Rust would see much time outside of the third or fourth lines anyway. In that role, I think I would prefer Tanev if we're talking about who is going to play on your fourth line and bring speed / defense. At the very least ... I'm okay with Rust being the odd man out here, and if he allows you to dump Johnson's albatross contract it's a huge win.

Dobber Sports Titan

I don't disagree with your logic there, I just don't think Rust is enough of an asset for a team to want to take on both salaries without sending any back. If it's Rust + Gudbranson + Hallander and/or pick, then maybe some one picks up the phone to have a discussion. Then again, I'm no NHL GM, so maybe there's a chance
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

https://dobberprospects.com/july-31-...gh-penguins-2/

the Pens sent Olli Maatta to Chicago for forward Domink Kahun and a 2019 fifth-round pick. Freeing about $4 million in cap space, Pittsburgh got a smallish, skilled Czech who surprised the Blackhawks with 37 points in his first 82 NHL games after coming over from Germany’s top hockey league. Similar in stature, style and statistics to countryman Dominik Simon

@Author: Kahun is German, not Czech

Someone should always proofread

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Irriducibile11 View Post
    https://dobberprospects.com/july-31-...gh-penguins-2/

the Pens sent Olli Maatta to Chicago for forward Domink Kahun and a 2019 fifth-round pick. Freeing about $4 million in cap space, Pittsburgh got a smallish, skilled Czech who surprised the Blackhawks with 37 points in his first 82 NHL games after coming over from Germany’s top hockey league. Similar in stature, style and statistics to countryman Dominik Simon

@Author: Kahun is German, not Czech

Someone should always proofread
    He's Czech-born.

Dobber Sports Stud

So... every successful team eventually gets past their prime. 33 Crosby, 34 Malkin, 33 Letang, 33 Hornqvist. The “core” after this isn’t a contender. Presuming the 87.5% of NOT getting #1 overall, (a) time for Jim Rutherford to simply retire? and (b) without panicking, Malkin and Letang each have 2 years left on their contracts, Hornqvist 3 years (trade, even retaining some salary??) so it’s not beyond a 3-4 year rebuild. But PLEASE stop trading 1st round picks!!
    CONDORS, 2022-23 league champions, Reg Dunlop Mem Cup

12-team, H2H. Keep 12, but drop 2 of top four skaters, and also 2 of next six, then five more (from end-of-year rankings). One GK max.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Keller, Doughty, Verhaeghe, ErikssonEk
    E.Lindholm, Barzal, J.Gaudreau, Huberdeau, S. Wright
    Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Grand Master

They are a contender, but they need better defense play, and they have too much money tied up in a hideous contract there for Jack Johnson who they need to bench or buyout. It was horrible when they did it.

They probably keep this year's pick, and slide it to next year, as I doubt they are missing the playoffs in a normal format year.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    They are a contender, but they need better defense play, and they have too much money tied up in a hideous contract there for Jack Johnson who they need to bench or buyout. It was horrible when they did it.

They probably keep this year's pick, and slide it to next year, as I doubt they are missing the playoffs in a normal format year.
    I'm not sure next year is going to be exactly normal either...

I do agree that they have some solid pieces they can build around moving forward though, but unless they fix a few things quickly, this could go off the rails over the next two years.

Dobber Sports Superstar

this franchise and Edmonton better not get first overall tonight, I mean no disrespect but let someone else have a star.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by LuigiC173 View Post
    this franchise and Edmonton better not get first overall tonight, I mean no disrespect but let someone else have a star.
    LOL! No mention of the Leafs?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."