Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Pittsburgh Penguins

Dobber Sports Sage

Absolutly awesome job mounD!!
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Dobber Sports Guru

Great stuff man, really glad you stepped up to the plate to cover the Pens. I, and I'm sure a lot of others, have a fair amount riding on some Pittsburgh players this year.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by wendelclark17 View Post
    Great stuff man, really glad you stepped up to the plate to cover the Pens. I, and I'm sure a lot of others, have a fair amount riding on some Pittsburgh players this year.
    That's the idea: help everyone out and have fun covering the Penguins in the process.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Veteran

nice analysis! i look forward to reading more!
    Fantrax - Salary cap dynasty - cap hit - H2H each category
    Start: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2UTIL, 2G, 6 Bench, 4IR
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PIM, STG, STA, SOG, FOW, GWG, Hits, BLK, W, GAA, Saves, SV%, SO

C: Getzlaf, Turris, Eakin, ____
    LW: Kunitz, MacArthur, Pacioretty, ____
    RW: Little (C), Tarasenko, Eriksson (LW)
    D: Pietrangelo, JJ, Streit, Brodie, Benn, ____
    G: Lundqvist, Bishop, Holtby

Farm: Grigorenko, H Lindholm, Faksa, Collberg, Grimaldi, Lee, K Hayes, G Carey, Schmaltz
    G: Grubauer, Gudlevskis

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by bigmamadog317 View Post
    nice analysis! i look forward to reading more!
    I second this. Any word yet why Malkin was a gametime decision?

Dobber Sports Guru

From what I heard he was suffering from the flu.

Also just saw this on twitter:

PensInsideScoop Pens Inside Scoop
    #Pens coach Bylsma: Staal and Vitale maintenance days. Both day-to-day and should be back for Thur pract -SK

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Pens Report 12/14/11

- As Wendel said, Staal and Vitale were given maintenance days; both considered DTD, and Bylsma hopes they will return to practice Thursday.

- Pens defenseman Zbynek Michalek had some possible good news today...

As long as I don't have symptoms, I'm hoping to be back in the lineup for Friday.
    - In more general news, the Penguins have assigned [F] Jason Williams and [D] Alex Picard to Wilkes-Barre of the AHL.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=606418

EDIT:

In somewhat unrelated news, HC Dan Bylsma ate lunch in my father's bar before the game last night. Since the Coach is very superstitious about his pre-game meals, I highly doubt we'll be seeing Disco Dan back for a while now... Sadly, the turkey chili and chipped-ham barbecue was not as lucky as we would have hoped.

If anyone close to Bylsma reads this, tell him we deserve another chance. Also tell him that the pulled pork is good, too.
    Last edited by mounD; December 14, 2011 at 3:38 PM.

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Sage

Hey, mounD how did Despres look last night? When evaluating my young D I could care less really about there stats. I prefer to just see how they actually played from a defensive stand point. That is a better indicator on if there going to stick imo.

I would be very interested to hear what you thought about his play last night as I was to engrossed in my Leaf's game to even check in on him.

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by bigbabybuda View Post
    Hey, mounD how did Despres look last night? When evaluating my young D I could care less really about there stats. I prefer to just see how they actually played from a defensive stand point. That is a better indicator on if there going to stick imo.

I would be very interested to hear what you thought about his play last night as I was to engrossed in my Leaf's game to even check in on him.
    Overall, I thought he played a pretty decent game, nothing spectacular. He wasn't really featured all that much, and only finished w/ 12:35 TOI. I believe he was on the ice at the tail-end of one of the PPs in which Connor set up Cleary's goal [3-1 Wings] and that's where he earned the -1 rating.

He got about a minute of PP-time, but he was really in a limited role last night. Much of the defensive ice-time went to Niskanen and Paul Martin both ES and on the PP.

I really don't have much to offer on Despres from last night, as I wasn't really following his ice-time/play very closely; however I wouldnt exactly place blame on him for any of the defensive shortcomings last night. Much of Detroit's offense came off bad turnovers [from Pens forwards: Matt Cooke on the SH I'm looking at you].

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    Overall, I thought he played a pretty decent game, nothing spectacular. He wasn't really featured all that much, and only finished w/ 12:35 TOI. I believe he was on the ice at the tail-end of one of the PPs in which Connor set up Cleary's goal [3-1 Wings] and that's where he earned the -1 rating.

He got about a minute of PP-time, but he was really in a limited role last night. Much of the defensive ice-time went to Niskanen and Paul Martin both ES and on the PP.

I really don't have much to offer on Despres from last night, as I wasn't really following his ice-time/play very closely; however I wouldnt exactly place blame on him for any of the defensive shortcomings last night. Much of Detroit's offense came off bad turnovers [from Pens forwards: Matt Cooke on the SH I'm looking at you].
    Thanks bro!

grammar Nazi
    Noun

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by bigbabybuda View Post
    Thanks bro!
    No problem dude... it's the job I signed up for...

And I love covering this team, and helping all of you guys w/ your Penguins-related questions.

P.S.

I'll keep an eye on Despres next game out, and I'll give you a nice little progress report.

Dobber Sports Giant

Default 12/15/11 Pens Report.

Courtesy of Penguins.NHL.com:

Coachspeak with Dan Bylsma...

On his team playing physical:
    There is a certain aspect of the game where physicality is important. In the course of 60 minutes you’re looking to have an effect on the other team with the speed of the game, where you play the game and how you play the game. The physicality of the game is a part of what we’re trying to establish with our team. That’s led by forecheck, playing in the offensive zone, hunting pucks down, hunting people down, engaging physically. We have that element to the way we play and as part of our team. We have that defensively. We want to be an aggressive team defensively, have a good gap, sometimes that a physical gap. There are times on the ice where we ask our players not to hit. It’s not just a matter of where we can be physical, running around in different areas. It’s using your speed, execution and physicality to affect the other team. We have leaders in that regard.

On when the team shouldn’t hit:

Position-wise and numbers-wise and playing defense, you sometimes don’t want to be taken out of the play. There are times where you don’t want to run around and see how many times you can get a hit. You can see that in Brooks Orpik’s game. He was a guy that got a lot more hits before and he plays with a better position and more awareness defensively now than just trying to get a big hit.

On dealing with concussions as a coach:

You just don’t know if a guy is going to be one week, two weeks, or out longer. That uncertainty makes it tough to plan in terms of down the road. You get an injury that typically takes 2-3 weeks and a timeframe that you know, you could can plan for the month of December without a guy with a broken foot. You know that. The uncertainty of it is difficult. You don’t know when they’ll come back. You don’t focus on this week or next few games when you have the uncertainty of an injury that Kris Letang has.

On Ottawa:
    We have four games before the break. Some consistency in our game and getting back to winning is important in the next four games. With Ottawa, going in there on the road, we do take certain things from the game that we need to get into our game. A lot of it is the way we want to play and the execution. I think you saw last game with speed through the neutral zone and Evgeni Malkin getting a couple scoring chances, that turned into a goal and a post. We’re looking to get there tomorrow with speed. What allowed us to have success is puck management. Against Ottawa last time allowed us to get behind their defense and play in the offensive zone. That’s a big part of our game and we’re going to have to establish that again.

On '24/7' and his cameo appearance:

I didn’t watch it. I heard I was and anticipated it when I met Max in the hallway. I was pretty certain that would show up on the first episode. I did not see it though.

On when he’ll have to wear the Xmas sweater:

Monday, I’ll wear it to the rink (but not to a game).

Some interesting nuggets in there...

Dobber Sports Ninja

Didn't even know this existed... great stuff dude!

Feel free to focus more of your coverage on Neal than the other no-namers on the team

Dobber Sports Expert

Hell i somehow missed that you took over the Pens.

Big up MounD, welcome to the family!

Would love to hear something about Bennett.
    Commish of UNFFHL, dangered species being the sole Panthers fan on Dobber.

Dobber Sports Ace

Hey MounD,

Tks for doing this. Do you if Letang is even exercising at this point yet or has he been completely shut down?
    12 team Rotisserie league (No positional requirements: 7 Keepers of which 2 must be Farm eligible).
    Active Roster consists of: 6 FW, 4 D, 2 G and 6 Bench.
    Scoring Cats: G (10x), A (10x), SOG (10x), HT (10x), BS (10x), PIM (10x), TK (10x), +/- (5x); W (10x), SV (10x), SO (5x)

FW: ​Draisaitl, Pastrnak, Keller, Jarvis, Barbashev, Kyrou, Raymond
    D: Dobson, Nurse, Sergachev, Andersson, Zadorov, York
    G: Oettinger, Raanta, Copley, Vejmelka
    IR: Hamilton
    Farm (165 games for F/D and 100 games for G): Wolf, Fantilli