Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Whats wrong with Doughty?

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by bigbabybuda View Post
    This thread makes me want to gauge my own eyes out!!

If anyone can name me one NHL defenseman in the league right now who's resume up to the age of 22 looks any were close to Doughty's I will be astonished. If he is sitting on any waiver wires that is a travesty of justice.

He turned 22 last week people. Most defenseman are not even in the league yet or are just getting there.
    It might make you want to do that to your eyes, but you can't deny that he is stinking up the league right now. I hope he enjoys his $288,000 he makes every two weeks and whatever whores he's banging and whatever Goose he is drinking and whatever club he is partying at, is all worth it. Cuz whatever he is doing sure aint helping his game.
    Head to Head League: 1 point for G, 1 point for A. 2 for Goalie win, 3 for SO.
    Start 6 guys every week. 3 O, 2 D and 1G. No substitutions once they are in (before the first game starts on Monday).
    Protect 3 players every year in keeper.
    10 rounds of drafting
    F: Crosby, Point, P. Kane, JVR, Kopitar, Rakell, Tarasenko,
    D: Letang, Doughty, Karlsson, Grzelcyk, Faulk,
    G: Bob, Shesterkin, Demko, Kahkonen

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I've avoided this thread until now because I feel like it's pointless. But...

He put up 59 points as a sophomore. He was shooting at an 11.3% clip, whereas I'd expect him to be more around 7-8%. So he probably overachieved a bit. This year he's on pace for set a career high for SOG but is only shooting at a 4% clip.

So what are my thoughts? He missed training camp this year due to a holdout and he's going to have a subpar season as a result, I have no doubts. However, he's shooting more than ever which is a good sign and the Kings PP has been dismal. If you adjust his shooting % to a normal amount and adjust the Kings PP to a normal % I think we'd be looking at a different story.

Adjusting for shooting % and PPP, he should currently have 4 goals and ~3 PPP. That may not be much but that's an extra 4 points which would give him 13 in 27 which may not be phenomenal but it's a 40 point pace in a season in which none of us should expect him to explode due to missing training camp.

I'm so tired of this what have you done mentality around here. Yes, Doughty is going to fall short of the expectations placed upon him after his sophomore season, but then again it's my opinion that no d-man is capable of 70+ aside from Green (which is what some were projecting for Doughty).

But he did hit 59 points as a 20 year old which is mind boggling for a d-man. I have no doubt he'll hit it again, and likely exceed it once he's in his prime. He's a top 4 fantasy d-man for me (with Green, Karlsson, Letang).

I think he'll fall short of 40 this year, but that's hardly a surprise given the King's PP woes and his holdout. Going forward from next year I'd be looking at 50+ and I'd expect him to be in the high 50's during his prime (on average).

Prob not going to post back as I don't really have any patience for the Doughty flamers who are too short sighted to actually look back at past achievements and future successes.

Dobber Sports Star

I couldn't agree with Dyz more. People need to be patient; Doughty WILL return to form; of that I have no doubt.

Rylant

PS. Baumer, love your avatar. Hands down my favorite vampire movie of all time :-)

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I can totally understand all of the frustration directed toward Dougthy. But I'm still an owner who is going to stay the course with him. Living in Guelph, I got to see him play his Junior Years for the Storm. I know it's Juniors, but he stood out like a sore thumb...man amungst boys.

He's been plagued with off ice contract B.S. and that stunted his growth this year.

If you keep him, he will pay dividends. Or pre-emptive congrats to the lucky GM who prys him away from you.

All do respect.

Bounce back season next year! Gauranteed

Dobber Sports Veteran

Buy now and hold a year or two, but tone down expectations first. Like I said a couple months ago, 50+ pts consistently is within his reach and very good for a D, top 5 consistently.
    12 team Full Dynasty w cap. 13F, 7D, 2G, 5B.
    G 4.25, A 2.75, PPP 1.5, SHP 3, Hits 0.4, Blocks 0.5, PIM 0.25, DFP 1
    W 5 OTL 1 SO 6 SV 0.25 L-1 GS 1

F:Stamkos, C Stew, R Johansen, B Dubinsky, Max Pac, Umberger, B Ryan, D Backes, T Ruutu, Lucic, Ott, MSL, Heatley, C Kunitz, J Benn, L Adam

D: C Fowler, Kronwall, A Goligoski, JM Liles, M Giordano, K Letang, N Nikitin, R Josi

G: J Quick, A Niemi, C Anderson, Rinne

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

doughty is completely overrated...

trade him to me and avoid the hassle of owning such a terrible player

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    doughty is completely overrated...

trade him to me and avoid the hassle of owning such a terrible player
    Well put Praba...couldn't sense ANY sarcasm there! Bahaha!

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by baumer View Post
    It might make you want to do that to your eyes, but you can't deny that he is stinking up the league right now. I hope he enjoys his $288,000 he makes every two weeks and whatever whores he's banging and whatever Goose he is drinking and whatever club he is partying at, is all worth it. Cuz whatever he is doing sure aint helping his game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    I couldn't agree with Dyz more. People need to be patient; Doughty WILL return to form; of that I have no doubt.

Rylant

PS. Baumer, love your avatar. Hands down my favorite vampire movie of all time :-)
    What movie is your Avatar from? It has always looked familiar, but I have never been able to place it...
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I'm sorry but I do not buy this "he missed training camp" excuse, and I will believe his one good season was not a fluke when I see another one. If you are in a keeper league deep enough to keep D you and want to hold onto him and hope something pans out, that is your decision, but for everyone else this kid is not even worth owning right now. By far the worst D I have on any of my teams this season. I have held onto him (non keeper) in part because people on here think he is so good and i am guilty for drinking the kook aid, apparently, because when I watch king's games I see nothing to make me think a change is coming. Going to give it until the first week of January and then he is gone.
    Last edited by blunas; December 19, 2011 at 1:40 AM.

Dobber Sports Ninja

The whole "missed training" camp excuse is such a joke and it's way over-played as an excuse for this kid's shitty performance this season. We're almost half way through the season... that excuse no longer holds water after the first 10 games.

Doughty's got TWO ****ing assists in the last SIXTEEN GAMES. Why don't we call a spade a spade and just say he's been shit this year... period. There's really no excuse for that kind of pathetic performance - for ANY defenseman in the league, much less an "elite" one getting paid $7M a year.
    Last edited by blayze; December 19, 2011 at 1:51 AM.

The Kings have scored 12 goals over the past 8 games. Where are his points supposed to come from?

Jesus, if he assisted on every single goal scored this month he'd still only have 19 points.

Dobber Sports Sage

I will just say this in a keeper league you would be very foolish to trade Doughty for anything less the a defensemen you are certain will be a top 5 point producer from the blue line for the next decade+. Because that is exactly what he will do. He might have an off year this year but imo missing training camp is a huge part of that. It affects all athletes in almost every sport when they miss camp. Look at Chris Johnson if you need direct evidence of that recently.
    "My Name Is My Name" ~Marlo
    "I'm just a Gangster I suppose and I want my fu***** corners"~ Barksdale

grammar Nazi
    Noun
    (slang, idiomatic) 1. A person who habitually corrects or criticizes the language usage of others, especially in situations where it is unnecessary, e.g. an informal conversation.
    Notes: This behavior is almost always found in people with very low I.Q's, whom have a very low sense of self worth. Impotence is also commonly linked to Grammar Nazi's.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    The Kings have scored 12 goals over the past 8 games. Where are his points supposed to come from?

Jesus, if he assisted on every single goal scored this month he'd still only have 19 points.
    Yeah well who's fault is that? When a team is slumping who do you look to for leadership and point generation - the $7M guys or the $700,000 guys?

To say that it's not his fault that he has no points because the team is sucking is a weak excuse... the team is sucking because their stars are sucking.

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Yeah well who's fault is that? When a team is slumping who do you look to for leadership and point generation - the $7M guys or the $700,000 guys?

To say that it's not his fault that he has no points because the team is sucking is a weak excuse... the team is sucking because their stars are sucking.
    Why do you always have to disagree with me? :P

I'm just saying - d-men don't create production all on their own. If the team isn't scoring goals, d-men aren't going to put up points.

You can blame Doughty all you want for their lack of scoring but seems a hell of a lot more reasonable to blame the coaching staff, the leaders of the team, the major offensive options (Kopitar, etc.).

Dobber Sports Ninja

I'm not disagreeing with you... I just think people give Doughty way too much credit.

I also believe he has a legit shot at being a 50 point guy some day, but would I draft him as a top 5 dman tomorrow or put my money on him? Nah. Give me Yandle, Letang, Karlsson and Weber over Doughty in a keeper any day.

I'm not blaming Doughty solely... it's definitely more than one guy, but when you're paid $7M a year and you're generating 2 assists in 16 games, I think that's a real problem and you deserve to be called out on it. I think he gets way too much rope around here, that's all