Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Drew Doughty: Overrated

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I love the one 59 point season argument.

Yes, one 59 point season as a 19/20 year old, 2nd year player in the league. How many 19/20 year olds can you list with 59 point seasons in their second year? How many players hit that one 59 point season after 7 or 8 years in the league?

As far as not being a multicat player, this was his stat line in 09-10:
    16 goals, 43 assists, 59 points, +20, 54 PIM, 157 Hits, 31 PPP, 142 SOG.

For a defenseman depending on your league's categories that is quite the across the board production, particularly for such a young player on an up and coming team. I think you can compare him to defenseman listed as multicat defenseman, and he compares quite favorably.

Basically you have the guaranteed #1 PP defenseman on a team that will be very competitive over the next 5+ seasons, who will probably provide 10+ years of quality production. In a keeper league, that is value.

I think on name recognition in a one year league, compared to comparable forwards and with the number of other available young defenseman, he may be overvalued, but many of the arguments here are seriously undervaluing him in a keeper league, particularly one where D production is important.

With the Kings' start in Europe, the fact he missed training camp, and their road heavy schedule to start the season, I think he's a serious buy-low right now.
    16 Team 4th Year H2H Yahoo! Keeper League, 2012 Champion
    Keep 8 (Max 1 Goalie) + 2* (23 and under)
    G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,SOG,FW,HIT,BLK,W,GAA,SV,SV%
    2LW,3C,2RW,3D,1U,2G,8BN,3IR
    LW Landeskog*, C Tavares*,Getzlaf, RW Ovechkin,Malkin(C),Seguin*(C),D Subban,G Lundqvist, Lehner*
    Draft - 1st,2 2nds, 2 3rds.

Dobber Sports Guru

Defencemen are not as consistent (offensively) year to year as forwards .

Drew Doughty is the second youngest player EVER to be a finalist for the Norris Trophy at 20, youngest ever is Bobby Orr at 19. (that tidbit is not to stir up more Doughty vs Orr comparisons cause they are just mindless and no other defencemen in the game will ever compare to Orr from a scoring standpoint).

People forget how young Doughty actually is because he has been in the NHL for 3+ seasons. Lets compare him to other young defencemen taken in the same draft who are the same age.

Lets see:
    Zach Bogosian - 3rd overall
    Alex Pietrangelo - 4th overall
    Luke Schenn - 5th overall
    Tyler Myers - 12th overall
    Colten teubert - 13th overall
    Erik Karlsson - 15th overall (hes at doughty's level offensively but only got there last year and he isnt close to being in the Norris conversation YET)
    Jake Gardiner - 17th overall
    Luca Sbisa - 19th overall
    Del Zotto - 20th overall
    Tyler Cuma - 23rd overall
    John Carlson - 27th overall

None of those guys even compare to Doughty other than Karlsson and he is a special talent offensively.

Bottom line is people are talking up Gardiner, Carlson, Myers and Bogosian as the next best things over the last 2 years but Doughty was drafted at the same time and he has already done what we hope those other guys might do.

Writing off 21 yr old d-men who have already been nominated for the Norris trophy, won an olympic gold medal and hit 59 pts is ridiculous.
    Last edited by wendelclark17; November 7, 2011 at 3:06 PM.

Banned

face it, doughty's a bum.. LA should trade him to the leafs for kadri...

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by tGr View Post
    face it, doughty's a bum.. LA should trade him to the leafs for kadri...
    Naaaa, that's not enough.....throw in a 6th in 2014 and Kadri....lol
    Head to Head League: 1 point for G, 1 point for A. 2 for Goalie win, 3 for SO.
    Start 6 guys every week. 3 O, 2 D and 1G. No substitutions once they are in (before the first game starts on Monday).
    Protect 3 players every year in keeper.
    10 rounds of drafting
    F: Crosby, Point, P. Kane, JVR, Kopitar, Rakell, Tarasenko,
    D: Letang, Doughty, Karlsson, Grzelcyk, Faulk,
    G: Bob, Shesterkin, Demko, Kahkonen

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Overrated is relative to your expectation. Not mine.

Doughty owner here, and while I'm not fully satisfied with his start, I'm not with Getzlaf, Duchene, Toews, Heatley, Kronwall, Lundqvist and Yandle ones. I have Malkin missing half the games, and Carter played only 5.

I could start to panic, but I'll just relax and wait for things to get back on track.
    8 teams Pts only keeper
    12F 6D 2G

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by NoUseForAName View Post
    Overrated is relative to your expectation. Not mine.

Doughty owner here, and while I'm not fully satisfied with his start, I'm not with Getzlaf, Duchene, Toews, Heatley, Kronwall, Lundqvist and Yandle ones. I have Malkin missing half the games, and Carter played only 5.

I could start to panic, but I'll just relax and wait for things to get back on track.
    Given how high I drafted him, there is no doubt that panic is not an option, going to have to remain patient. The kid is good, no doubt, but I am just frustrated because there are a lot of good defense-men out there, but where Doughty is drafted means he needs to be better than just good. The question I posed was whether or not he is overrated in terms of where he is drafted and whether or not he is worth such a high pick at this point in his career.

And I agree there are plenty of great players who are off to slow starts. The difference between him and Getzlaf, though, is that Getzlaf has proven that he is a point per game player, so it is easier to deal with a crappy start from him since you know he will turn it on. With Doughty I am not convinced that will happen. That said, I am desperately hoping he does light things up the rest of the way. PP assist already tonight, hopefully the beginning of a streak...

Dobber Sports Stud

Doughty's 59 point season came in a year when LA led the league in PP% and thus drastically inflated his production. (If I'm not mistaken Kopitar scored more PPP than ESP that year).

He will approach 60-65 pts a few times in his career but not consistently, as it will be directly correlated with the LAK PP efficiency. This is the trend with most D, as someone already mentioned (blayze). There really isn't a consistent 70-pt threat on D, just a bunch of 55-point guys with upside - which can be reached if they play on one of the top PP units in any given season.
    20 Team Pool Points Keeper
    G =1,A=1,PPG=1,PPA=0.5, SHG=1,GWG=1,PIM=0.1,+/-=0.25
    Goalie cats (W=2, SO=3, SV=0.05)

F: Malkin, B.Richards, Franzen, D.Brown, Boedker, Zajac, Atkinson, Scheifele, Read, Boyes
    D: Green, Schultz, Faulk, Goligoski
    G: Crawford

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by blunas View Post
    Given how high I drafted him, there is no doubt that panic is not an option, going to have to remain patient. The kid is good, no doubt, but I am just frustrated because there are a lot of good defense-men out there, but where Doughty is drafted means he needs to be better than just good. The question I posed was whether or not he is overrated in terms of where he is drafted and whether or not he is worth such a high pick at this point in his career.

And I agree there are plenty of great players who are off to slow starts. The difference between him and Getzlaf, though, is that Getzlaf has proven that he is a point per game player, so it is easier to deal with a crappy start from him since you know he will turn it on. With Doughty I am not convinced that will happen. That said, I am desperately hoping he does light things up the rest of the way. PP assist already tonight, hopefully the beginning of a streak...
    This is exactly what I was talking about in my previous post in this thread. He is normally drafted high and thus considered over rated because he has a hard time living up to his high draft ranking. There are just as good D men available in later rounds. Draft your scoring F in those high spots and be patient on drafting your mid class D. Tough to be upset with the Giordano's or Phaneufs out there when you can score one of them in a mid to late round.

I am an Oiler fan too btw, not just a Flames fan tooting Gio's horn. I just think guys like him are the real steals in fantasy hockey and usually the difference between winning your league and scrambling to find points.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Axe- I hear you, normally never take D early but I with the last pick in the 4th round there just was nothing special in terms of forwards or goalies left and so took a gamble. I think a lot of my frustration comes from the fact that when you watch a Kings game, you feel like Doughty should be putting up points regularly.

The good thing is that Doughty must read these boards since he already has more points since yesterday than he had in all the games up until that point. Hoping he keeps it up!

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Through the past 5 periods of play:

1G 2A 2PPP +2 2PIM 3SOG

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
    Through the past 5 periods of play:

1G 2A 2PPP +2 2PIM 3SOG
    Yeah thanks, just my shit luck that I"m facing him this week in my one-year.

I swear it feels like that keeps happening to me.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Star

I am in a keeper league with one of my best friends, and he is notorious for giving up on people too early; just like everyone here seems to be. I LOVE being in a keeper league with him; I fleece him regularly in trades because he has ZERO patience.

Rylant

Quote Originally Posted by rylant View Post
    i am in a keeper league with one of my best friends, and he is notorious for giving up on people too early; just like everyone here seems to be. I love being in a keeper league with him; i fleece him regularly in trades because he has zero patience.

Rylant
    good story
    11 team keeper league, 3rd season.
    Points only. Goalies: 2pts Win, 3pt S/O
    9F, 6D, 2G, 2BN, 1IR

F: Stamkos*, Parise*, Backstom*(IR), Benn*, Neal*, Clarkson, Berglund, A. McDonald, Gagner, Ennis, Okposo,

D: OEL, B Campbell, Wisniewski, B. Smith, Giordano, Diaz

G: Fleury*, Halak*, Anderson

Dobber Sports Veteran

There's so much variance in a span of 10-15 games that it's extremely hard to deduce any consistent conclusions. However, he was down a bit last year as well. Even still, I definitely rate him as a strong hold right now, selling cheap is not the best of ideas.

For my money, the real problem was just unreasonable expectations. 45-50 points in a season is basically excellent for a D. I certainly think he can put up that number and will exceed it in the future.
    12 team Full Dynasty w cap. 13F, 7D, 2G, 5B.
    G 4.25, A 2.75, PPP 1.5, SHP 3, Hits 0.4, Blocks 0.5, PIM 0.25, DFP 1
    W 5 OTL 1 SO 6 SV 0.25 L-1 GS 1

F:Stamkos, C Stew, R Johansen, B Dubinsky, Max Pac, Umberger, B Ryan, D Backes, T Ruutu, Lucic, Ott, MSL, Heatley, C Kunitz, J Benn, L Adam

D: C Fowler, Kronwall, A Goligoski, JM Liles, M Giordano, K Letang, N Nikitin, R Josi

G: J Quick, A Niemi, C Anderson, Rinne

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Can you hear that sound? It's the door shutting on buying low on Doughty. 3 points in past 2, 4 in past 3 if you include tonight, and 5 in the last 6...

And that's with the Kings are on huge losing streak.