Thread: Goalies for 2012-13 season (looking ahead)

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Goalies for 2012-13 season (looking ahead)

Where do these "too good to be backups" stack up when looking at their chances to finally get full cracks as starters, (whether it be on their current teams, or new ones)?

Cory Schneider
    Evgeni Nabokov
    Michal Neuvirth
    Jonathan Bernier
    Tuukka Rask

Feel free to list other goalies, I didn't want to make a huge list.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Schneider
    Neuvirth
    Rask
    Nabokov
    Bernier

Schneider's status as a starter by next year is almost a foregone conclusion. Plus, he's the real deal. Vokoun's a FA this summer again and looking for a retirement contract, so if Neuvirth performs well this year the Caps may roll with him instead of resigning Vokoun due to the serious cap space being eaten by the big name skaters (and there are a whack of them in Washington!). Rask's promotion is up to Thomas, but it has to come sooner or later. If not next year, then the year after. But note that Rask is an RFA this summer. Nabokov could take the starting job on the Island right now if he can out duel Montoya, which is quite possible. I just don't like him compared to the upper 3 so I put him 4th, but he's actually probably got the greatest short-term opportunity to win a starting job. Bernier is in tough. A great young goalie with another great young goalie outperforming him ahead of him in line. My guess is one of Quick or Bernier will be moved eventually because they are each good enough to be starters and are both worth some good playoff pieces come deadline time. Don't look for the deal to come this year though, as it likely will with Schneider. Bernier is younger than Schneider and is not an RFA for two more years. Plus his $1.25M is reasonable to carry. Because of the timeline for Bernier, he's at the bottom of my list. Not because of talent.
    Last edited by norrisdivision; October 21, 2011 at 6:44 PM.
    NHL 12 Team Full Keeper, Roto
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SHO

C - Crosby,Getzlaf,Granlund
    LW - Pacioretty,E.Kane,Hartnell
    RW - Backes,Simmonds,SamGagne
    D - Letang,Byfuglien,Subban,Hamilton
    G - Lundqvist,Fleury,Schneider,Bryz
    IR - Kovy

MLB 9 Team Full Keeper, Roto
    R, H, HR, RBI, SB, BB, K, AVG, W, L, SV, BB, K, ERA

C - C.Santana
    1B - Ortiz
    2B - Kinsler
    3B - Alvarez
    SS - Andrus
    OF - Trout,McCutchen,Kemp
    Util - Myers,Butler
    BN - Profar,Freese,Gyorko,Brantley
    SP - Price,Gio,Moore,Harvey,Miller,H.Bailey
    RP - Chapman,Frieri,K.Jansen
    DL - Beachy,Pineda

Dobber Sports Veteran

I think Holtby is another guy you could add to this list. Assuming Washington doesn't resign Vokoun (I doubt he's willing to sign another bargain contract) then he and Neuvirth will be the goalie tandem for Washington. They will certainly battle it out for the starting job. My gut says Holtby wins in the end.
    Fantrax - Salary cap dynasty - cap hit - H2H each category
    Start: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2UTIL, 2G, 6 Bench, 4IR
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PIM, STG, STA, SOG, FOW, GWG, Hits, BLK, W, GAA, Saves, SV%, SO

C: Getzlaf, Turris, Eakin, ____
    LW: Kunitz, MacArthur, Pacioretty, ____
    RW: Little (C), Tarasenko, Eriksson (LW)
    D: Pietrangelo, JJ, Streit, Brodie, Benn, ____
    G: Lundqvist, Bishop, Holtby

Farm: Grigorenko, H Lindholm, Faksa, Collberg, Grimaldi, Lee, K Hayes, G Carey, Schmaltz
    G: Grubauer, Gudlevskis

Dobber Sports Newbie

Think you can add Lindback to your list.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Sakic19 View Post
    Where do these "too good to be backups" stack up when looking at their chances to finally get full cracks as starters, (whether it be on their current teams, or new ones)?

Cory Schneider
    Evgeni Nabokov
    Michal Neuvirth
    Jonathan Bernier
    Tuukka Rask

Feel free to list other goalies, I didn't want to make a huge list.
    Depends if you're talking about one year or keepers.

In a one year, probably Nabokov then Rask.

In a keeper, Schneider and Bernier.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Cory Schneider
    - starter material for sure, real good technique and strong mentally. It must be hard to watch Luongo choke and know you could do much better, but not really get a shot.
    He is an RFA so look for the 'nucks to trade him for prospects.
    Potential teams: Tampa, Columbus, Florida, New Jersey
    If NJ or Tampa get him, watch out he will be a fantasy beast.

Jonathan Bernier
    - Possible starter material. Has a few kinks to work out in his game. Has one more year on his contract with LA before he is an RFA in 2013-14. Look for him to spend one more year as a backup to Quick. Will not get a ton of starts this year or next.

Anders Lindback
    - Very big goalie with excellent skills. This one is up in the air as nobody knows who Nashville will re-sign...money always plays a huge factor in Smashville and they need to re-sign 3 studs: Weber, Suter and Rinne. Look for one of Rinne or Lindback to be moved. If Nashville re-signs Weber and Rinne but lets Suter walk, they will move lindback for some decent roster players, likely a top 6 forward. Same teams interested as for Schneider.
    I wouldn't put him in the same category as Schneider, but I think he will be a decent starter and on the right team will have good fantasy value.

Rask
    Is going nowhere, he is the top goalie without a starters job IMO. Boston knows that Thomas will drop off in the next 2 years, look for Rask to progressively get more starts and eventually take over the starters role. Don't let his recent frustrations fool you, he is very confident and skilled, just a passionate goalie.

Neuvirth
    If he wasn't on Washington I wouldn't waste time talking about him. Alot of his defeciencies as a goalie are made up by the fact that he plays on one of the best teams in the NHL. He isn't a big goalie and he relies upon the butterfly too much. Does not have the athleticism of other goalies listed here, or the compete factor.
    Playing behind Vokoun he is a decent option as a 3rd goalie because his stats will be respectable, but I would look elsewhere for a keeper. Remember, Vokoun is only recently turned 35 and could have another 2-4 years at top level performance.
    Last edited by znith; October 24, 2011 at 12:35 PM.

Dobber Sports Newbie

I'll put my money or Markstrom taking half the games by next season. Kid is ready!!