Thread: Halak or Brodeur?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Halak or Brodeur?

Team info & league details in signature. DEF = points by a Dman.

I just received an interesting trade offer: my Halak for his Brodeur.

I picked up Halak in the first round of our draft, and unless he stands on his head this year, I don't see him displacing any of my current keepers or keeper-replacement candidates (i.e., Karlsson or Kesler). With Luongo underperforming, and Halak & Mason stinking it up, tho', I am in a bit of a pinch with my goaltending at the moment.

So, thinking primarily of this year, who do you like better & why?
    -----------------

LEAGUE: keeper -- 6 keepers per year, no farm; roto; 10 managers, 18-man rosters; 2 C, 2 LW, 2 RW, 4 D, 1 UTIL, 2 G, 5 Bench; limits of 99 games per skater position & 82 games per goalie position; daily roster moves; max 100 waiver wire transactions per year; scoring categories of G, A, +/-, HIT, PPP, SOG, DEF (points by d-men), W, GAA, SA%, and SV.

ROSTER:

C: Draisaitl* (LW), Dubois, Nelson
    LW: Svechnikov* (RW), Hagel
    RW: Kucherov*, Tarasenko, Wilson, Stone, Laine, Reinhart, P. Kane (IR)
    D: Fox*, Karlsson*, Chabot (IR), Faulk, Martinez
    G:: Vasilevskiy*, Vanecek, Adin, Knight (IR)

* = 2023 keepers

whether you believe halak is the real deal or not this is attempt to buy low...
    while i own halak and would consider trading him, i don't think i'd do it for brodeur. i think he's past his prime and injuries seem to be getting the best of him.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I get the offer. They are both buy-lows right now but for different reasons. A healthy Brodeur is worth more than a healthy Halak this year. Brodeur figures out a way to get it done year in and year out. Halak had a good playoff run and the month of October following. Since then he's been average. I'd take Brodeur if I believed he was going to bounce back from this injury. You may want to try a 4-player deal and ask for a little insurance on Brodeur. Just a thought.
    NHL 12 Team Full Keeper, Roto
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG, SOG, W, GAA, SV%, SHO

C - Crosby,Getzlaf,Granlund
    LW - Pacioretty,E.Kane,Hartnell
    RW - Backes,Simmonds,SamGagne
    D - Letang,Byfuglien,Subban,Hamilton
    G - Lundqvist,Fleury,Schneider,Bryz
    IR - Kovy

MLB 9 Team Full Keeper, Roto
    R, H, HR, RBI, SB, BB, K, AVG, W, L, SV, BB, K, ERA

C - C.Santana
    1B - Ortiz
    2B - Kinsler
    3B - Alvarez
    SS - Andrus
    OF - Trout,McCutchen,Kemp
    Util - Myers,Butler
    BN - Profar,Freese,Gyorko,Brantley
    SP - Price,Gio,Moore,Harvey,Miller,H.Bailey
    RP - Chapman,Frieri,K.Jansen
    DL - Beachy,Pineda

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by norrisdivision View Post
    I get the offer. They are both buy-lows right now but for different reasons. A healthy Brodeur is worth more than a healthy Halak this year. Brodeur figures out a way to get it done year in and year out. Halak had a good playoff run and the month of October following. Since then he's been average. I'd take Brodeur if I believed he was going to bounce back from this injury. You may want to try a 4-player deal and ask for a little insurance on Brodeur. Just a thought.
    Very nice assessment - I concur big time.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I guess I'll go against the grain a bit I suppose, and go with Jaro.

I am a Halak owner in a one-year league, and if someone offered me Brodeur for him I wouldn't do it for a couple of reasons.
    1) I don't think this trend is going to last much longer and that he'll get on track soon. Ironically enough, this situation kind of reminds me of the Devils in the first half last season. I think the Blues right now are really underperforming and that you could see an incredible bounce-back from them, similar to what the Devils did last year.
    2) Not confident that Brodeur is actually healthy...things just seem really murky with Brodeur and his shoulder IMO, makes me worry.

Either way, I actually think that Halak's upside is higher...and this isn't JUST because I own him, if I were drafting again today I would still take Halak over Brodeur because that's how much I believe in him.

My two cents. Good luck with your decision.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Hmm. You're giving me lots to think about, guys!

If I were to get Brodeur & Hedberg (he owns both) for Halak & Rask, is that a move that makes sense, again, thinking primarily of this year? With Brodeur on the IR, I can always make a move to pick up someone of equal value to Rask -- i.e., Conklin, Bernier, or Schneider. I expect all of those guys to play roughly the same number of games and get roughly similar peripherals.
    -----------------

LEAGUE: keeper -- 6 keepers per year, no farm; roto; 10 managers, 18-man rosters; 2 C, 2 LW, 2 RW, 4 D, 1 UTIL, 2 G, 5 Bench; limits of 99 games per skater position & 82 games per goalie position; daily roster moves; max 100 waiver wire transactions per year; scoring categories of G, A, +/-, HIT, PPP, SOG, DEF (points by d-men), W, GAA, SA%, and SV.

ROSTER:

* = 2023 keepers

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by rooneypoo View Post
    Hmm. You're giving me lots to think about, guys!

If I were to get Brodeur & Hedberg (he owns both) for Halak & Rask, is that a move that makes sense, again, thinking primarily of this year? With Brodeur on the IR, I can always make a move to pick up someone of equal value to Rask -- i.e., Conklin, Bernier, or Schneider. I expect all of those guys to play roughly the same number of games and get roughly similar peripherals.
    This now requires some more information since you keep 6. Would either Halak or Rask be one of his keepers if you made the deal? The deal is not fair in your direction. But I would do Brodeur/Schneider over Halak/Rask so if you have some leverage over this guy with a potential keeper goalie for him then you should pad the deal with some offence coming your way and use the 4 goalies as the baseline. The chance you take is riding Hedberg until Brodeur comes back and hoping that Schneider will still be on the wire when that day comes.

IR - Kovy

C - C.Santana
    1B - Ortiz
    2B - Kinsler
    3B - Alvarez
    SS - Andrus
    OF - Trout,McCutchen,Kemp
    Util - Myers,Butler
    BN - Profar,Freese,Gyorko,Brantley
    SP - Price,Gio,Moore,Harvey,Miller,H.Bailey
    RP - Chapman,Frieri,K.Jansen
    DL - Beachy,Pineda

My potential trading partner's roster:

C: Kopitar, Roy, Carter (IR)
    LS: Hall, Benn (C), Clowe
    RW: Stewart, Hudler, Hemsky
    D: Weber, Subban, Whitney, Bergeron, Strait
    G: Hedberg, Roloson, Nabokov, Khabibulin, DiPietro, Brodeur (IR)

Brodeur was among his 6 keepers last year (along with Kopitar, Carter, Hall, Weber, & Subban), so it's conceivable that he's targeting Halak as a longer-term keeper. Tough to say, tho' -- if you ask me, guys like Stewart, Clowe, and Benn are equally good targets for keepers.

On your other point: Each team can carry a max of two players on their IR. If I were to acquire Brodeur & Hedberg, I could put Brodeur on my IR & scoop up any one of the above backups I mentioned. I would face a decision when Brodeur returns, tho'.
    -----------------

ROSTER:

* = 2023 keepers

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by rooneypoo View Post
    My potential trading partner's roster:

C: Kopitar, Roy, Carter (IR)
    LS: Hall, Benn (C), Clowe
    RW: Stewart, Hudler, Hemsky
    D: Weber, Subban, Whitney, Bergeron, Strait
    G: Hedberg, Roloson, Nabokov, Khabibulin, DiPietro, Brodeur (IR)

Brodeur was among his 6 keepers last year (along with Kopitar, Carter, Hall, Weber, & Subban), so it's conceivable that he's targeting Halak as a longer-term keeper. Tough to say, tho' -- if you ask me, guys like Stewart, Clowe, and Benn are equally good targets for keepers.

On your other point: Each team can carry a max of two players on their IR. If I were to acquire Brodeur & Hedberg, I could put Brodeur on my IR & scoop up any one of the above backups I mentioned. I would face a decision when Brodeur returns, tho'.
    You might try Halak, Rask, Horton for Brodeur, Hedberg, Stewart. His best 2 options for a keeper goalie if you do this deal are the 2 that you are sending him. So you may have some leverage there. Even though his scoring is off to a slow start, I like Stewart a lot more than Horton.

IR - Kovy

C - C.Santana
    1B - Ortiz